Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Nations!

Options
  • 14-07-2004 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I think it will be their year this year :D

In fact i think we could do the Grand Slam

Can Ireland realistically win the 2005 6-Nations 21 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I think we can, just as we could have won last year. The question is do the team KNOW that they can. At this stage we have a team that can beat any team in the world all we need to do is go into the games with the knowledge of that instilled in the players and a sound gameplan and we should win games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭munster rucker

The only thing that will stop this team winning the Grand Slam this year, is themselves. They have England and France at home and a better oportunity to win it hasn't presented itself in a long time. This could very well be the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

The french are very strong and wilkinson (aka the entire english team) will be back. but we do have home draws against both of them.

I hope so
    gwan the ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by daveirl
    On another note, I don't think we can win without a Grand Slam.
    I agree. If we lose to either France or England (we have to win the other 3) we'll either lose it outright or by points difference. We will never top a group on points difference.

• Advertisement

Wales may yet catch England, France and/or ourselves on the hop. They are starting to put a few decent performances together. Could be a very interesting 6 nations without a grand slam which may even improve our chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Wales will probably the team to watch in the tournament, see if they've found a pack to front up for the wonderful backs they have.

England and France are still going to be tough at home and with EOS picking the team you could probably pick the team right now. It'll be tight but we should and can shade it.

Course if we get hammered EOS gets the sack and ten week training faiscos are gone.

C'mon munster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭munster rucker

Originally posted by GreenHell

Course if we get hammered EOS gets the sack and ten week training faiscos are gone.

C'mon munster!
    Wishful thinking, EOS will never be sacked. His contract would cost too much to pay out, he should never have been offered that 4 year contract prior to the world cup, it was madness. Personally, the way i see it is, as long as EOS is in charge, Irish rugby is in trouble - he is not building for the future and giving young players the breaks they need to step up to this level. We may win the 6 nations under him, but the future looks bleak as long as he is in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

Absolutely we can do it this year ( where have I heard that b4 .. oh yeah last year !! ) and I'm feeling a little more confident today after SA ran the all blacks so close yesterday ... they had improved quite alot ... we hadn't disimproved ... tho still think we should have won at least one test.

Sorry just read that back ..gone slightly off thread but had to get that off my chest !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Ireland to win four out of five.

Probably lose away to Wales. That record can't stand much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think Wales are the team to watch alright, both Engerland and NZ underestimated them in the world cup, and both were lucky to come out with a win. Some of their back play is absolutely awesome, and they are getting a good beefy pack together as well.

I don't know if Wilko being back will make a huge difference for England, he is a class player, but seen as too conservative by a lot of people. I think that losing Martin Johnson was just as big a loss, as they just don't have any proper leadership out there, or the same world class pack that gave the backline such a good platform. Also, some of Clives choices are somewhat strange (Balshaw is pants, yet keeps getting picked. It's great!)

As for the French - like the Irish times said before the world cup: They are like your girlfriend - you know them so well, but God knows what mood they will turn up in :D

Knowing us, we would win 4 games, and then draw 6-6 with Italy or some crap like that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by istep
    Absolutely we can do it this year ( where have I heard that b4 .. oh yeah last year !!

Yep, I say it every year (practically):D - sometimes with conviction too

But this is the best opportunity, since the Foot&Mouth year where we squandered every opportunity in Murrayfield. This time though....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by daveirl
    Arrghh, I'd prefer to lose all of them than to beat France and England like in 2001 and not win the whole thing!

unless Wales win the Grand Slam with us coming second .

That way its a little more torelable .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

how long do you think before Italy emerge as a team who can expect to finish up at least mid-table? From what I have heard, France were in Italys' position when they joined the 5 nations, and now look at them...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

that was a long time ago France joined the 5 nations though .

Yeah but they weren't any great shakes for a long time. In the first 15 years they played drew 2 won 7 lost 50. Italy could very well beat that record if they keep on as they are.

Advertisement