Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with renovations

Options
  • 14-07-2004 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've just bought a 3 bed cottage and I am going to do a full renovation job myself. I work shifts and have no experiance with DIY, apart from my woodwork class 13 years ago.

Anyone here been in a similar situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Good luck:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

Im just finishing one at the mo, but only the downstairs of a house, lots of work ahead for u. Also i used to be in the building trade so kinda knew what i was doing. If u have never done anything like this before and arnt very good at diy, y are u doing it? just be carefull, cost doesnt fly up.

post up if u have any specifc Qs. Best of luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I've just put a deposit and not fully bought yet but the surveryor thinks it's a kip and it bits and we are nuts....he wouldn't
    pay half of the price we are paying for it. Our solicitor rang as he is
    chcking out the contracts at the moment and there was never planning
    permission seeked for an extension to a bedroom or sunroom :- are they
    problems for us.

The surveyor said that there is no ventolation what so ever
    in the place, only the windows, which is very bad health and safety wise.
    The floors and walls are really bad and are only sheeting, the upstairs
    bedroom is really badly constructed and the ceiling is too low, below the
    legal regulations required for a room. The big concrete space outside our
    front door where we go in and out of the house may not even belong to us or
    the current owners and has to be investigated which is a very serious
    problem. Surveryor is getting estimates for us today to get the place
    liveable and said it will cost big money.

Bollic ! I really like this place

WOW!
    sounds like there are alot of problems (albeit some small ones) How bad it feels now if u dont get it. Imagine how bad u would feel after 6months of hard work and still no end in sight, only diff is u may run out of money.

If no planning for a room, thats serious unless of couse u are tearing it down as part of the re works.

ventolation - its no prob normally to vent a place. And not expensive, just hard work.

floors and walls - can i assume this is an old old place, if so im sure u knew u would have to redo all walls and floors anyway. So not a new concern.

ceiling is too low - This could turn into an expensive problem, only thing helping u is that u are redoing walls anyway. There are inventfull ways around these probs.

concrete space outside - I would not take it unless the area was mine, however there are many homes (not so much in ireland, but uk and others) that once you obtain a legal right of way on the path u are ok.

Can i ask is this property in dublin or country?

If ur surveryor is slagging it off, be aware. But at the same time listen to him but make the dession urselfs.

fingers crossed the number he comes back with is a good one!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You're mad, say goodbye to all your evenings and weekends - Sat especially.
    You will have to get help with electrics, plastering, plumbing etc and they will all let you down.
    Been there, have the tee-shirt

Advise is to breathe deep, take the knocks and take your time and do the task in question to completion, do not go from one task to another

Mad

ps I'd do it all again, better though

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by HashSlinging
    I've just put a deposit and not fully bought yet but the surveryor thinks it's a kip and it bits and we are nuts....he wouldn't
    pay half of the price we are paying for it.

You'd be crazy to buy if the extension has no planning permission.

Plus, if it's a bad as that, your mortgage provider's surveyor may say that it's not worth the mortgage.
    If it's actually worth far less you're paying for it and you default on your mortage, your provider would lose out big time.

Also he said that there was an issue with the drainage and sewerage, said it wasnt moving (barf) fast enough is that a county council issue.

The extension is actually an aluminium sun room at the back/side of the house. The loft conversion in the roof cavity is below health and safety standards (height), and construction is dodgy.... is it needed ro seek planning permission for a glass conservatory and a loft conversion with windows.

Do you guys know if it is a big job to move an aluminium sun room, can they be dismantled and put back together or are they welded and stuck together? I cannot see and welded joints etc on this one.

Sorry for a the questions, but im a complete novice at DIY.

Thanks for the feedback! All noted.

P.S. I have a few mates that are sparks, plasterers, plumbers and builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Walk away - this place sounds like a complete money pit - especially if you've not much experience of renovation.

It seems to get worse with every post - walk away :(

Most aluminium frames are just screwed together. Might be messy to find all the screws though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Would not touch that with a barge pole, waay to much to do to it, also the bigger issue here is the planning.
    They could make u rip down that extension, possibly will not but depends on the person in the planning you get.
    You will probably end up payin out a fortune to get the work done. You honestly may be better off to tear down the house, retain one of the walls(for planning reasons) and rebuild the house.

Listen to your surveyer, he is not telling you to avoid it for the good of his health.

• Advertisement

Just told the estate agent that I want 100k off the list price. If they go for it i'll be able to hire someone to do the work. Which looks like the only option.

Fingers crossed.

Let us know how u get on! good luck.

Advertisement