Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel

Options
  • 13-07-2004 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

:D:p;):D:p;):D:p;):D:p;)

Hi All,

I have started to write a column for FREE magazine (early days) on various
    different places i have experienced and the lgbt venues, resorts, pubs clubs (bare with us as the format -look and feel changes) etc I have been
    into... it is my intention to have a tips or info section and would be interested
    in what you feel would be relevant about the places listed below.

I shall be writing on my trips to:

Ibiza, Majorca, New York, Barcelona
    UK (Lon, Liv, Man etc), Greece (Athens etc)
    Crete (they are different - lol), Malaga (Carhuiela)
    Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt (focus on Cairo and nile cruise)
    Ireland (North and South), Paris, Austria
    Bulgaria, Luxembourg, Brussels and Mexico..so far

Yes... I have been to a few places in the last few years (prob why my credit card bill is so high!) but was assisted by work - which kindly shipped me all around Europe
    ... naturally I extended my stays here and there..saw way too much of UK, Greece, Luxembourg and Brussels for my own good..!

A) What kind of information would you like?
    B) What are you looking for when reading about a travel destination?
    C) Did you read the new travel section of FREE Mag and what did you think?

Your thoughts and oppinions do count - I cant promise that I can take everything on board - but I will read every posting.

Thank you for taking time to read this posting,

Regards,

Conor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Jpaulik

Since you've put yourself on a pedestal and are representing Free I'd like too take this opportunity to comment on that piece of thrash. It's a vile, ugly piece of print that really shouldn't class itself as a magazine.

Free is The Sun of Irish Gay publications. I can just see the article titles now "Best Holiday Resort to get a Shag in" , "Which of the Med Countries have the best hung hunks ? " "Sex on a beach - Where and with what "

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

The listings in Free are completely out of date for Cork and have been for a long long while. Not that I've looked at it more than twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 coughlanc

If you have a problem with FREE - I suggest (like with all publications) you contact the editor (inner first page for contact details).

I do not have any control over the publication (bit obvious if you have seen the
    article) - only getting started.

I disagree with your statements - I think FREE has a very good place in the sector, compliments the other LGBT publications well and is more lifestyle then other publication offers (at no cost level).

However we are all entitled to our thoughts on this... and I am sure we differ on many things ...

I think it would be better if people gave constructive criticism though - as in its wrong .. and say say x, y z is the case... but thats always been my belief ' if you are going to criticise something, you should be ready to offer a practical suggestion or get involved and change it' ....

We all know that its way to easy .. to just say thats crap.... thats rubbish... dont like it... why not tell whats wrong, tell them what you dont like....give them some real feed back.

As for the column that I have... I am pleased to say that yes it is lgbt orientated but no its not 'Best Holiday Resort to get a Shag in" , "Which of the Med Countries have the best hung hunks ? " "Sex on a beach' etc ..... although if people wanted that . then I would have to tailor.. but i think my pro/con approach is more helpful ...

I guess have a read (if you would like to ?) and come back to me ...

No I am not saying that "I am the all knowing.. travel genius for the LGBT community" I am saying ... "I am going to write about my experiences, but would like to ensure that its tailored to what people want"....

I think thats fair....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Why would you be bothered?

Once upon a time I used to work with an ould wan who used to say "paper never refused ink", and this is a classic example of it, a solution looking for a problem.

Why Why Why ? Anybody wanting to go anywhere can get a wonderful cross-section of views, reviews and opinions, gay and str8, on the net.

Apart from the fact that gay sexspots are usully full of the most uninteresting form of brits and are probably the most boring holiday locations, I'd really wonder why you feel the need to share your views and opinions.

Are you sure you aren't just trying to impress us all with some juvenile "look how many countries my willie's been in" listing ??

I suspected that you might be someone (or to be correct an ICT virtual identity through which the person I refer to communicates) who trives on being bitchy and being destructive.

As once again you respond to a thread with material that is effectively passive agressive in nature and not constructive, you seem to have an issue with people
    who are being active in their lives and prefer to make snide remarks then change the environment you are in?

Do other people find this to be the case?

With regard to my writing, you say "Why Why Why ? Anybody wanting to go anywhere can get a wonderful cross-section of views, reviews and opinions, gay and str8, on the net."

I reply - yes someone took time to write them, they did not just suddenly appear, thats what I am doing. Like many reviews online or otherwise - with time they date and need to be refreshed and thus the cycle is continuous. (review-experience-change and new review)

You state: "Are you sure you aren't just trying to impress us all with some juvenile "look how many countries my willie's been in" listing ??"

I say: Who is the one being juvenile?

What is the policy with moderators regarding online postings and passive aggressive statements (flaming) ? as it serves no point.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by coughlanc
    you seem to have an issue with people
    who are being active in their lives and prefer to make snide remarks then change the environment you are in?

Do other people find this to be the case?

No, I have to agree with De Rebel. You have come on here and in every post you are self-promoting, whether it be Johnny, your Travel section in Free or that "business network" of which you are helping to run in Ireland. And before you reference that post about Bush as being non self-promoting I think the only reason you posted it is to be seen as non self-promoting.

And it's not just this site, I see you are also polluting other gay websites with your crap too.

I say: Who is the one being juvenile?

I answer: YOU

What is the policy with moderators regarding online postings and passive aggressive statements (flaming) ? as it serves no point.

I think you already ran into one moderator here who needed to explain how to behave. If you looked about this forum more and observed without jumping in to shout "LOOK AT ME" so much you can see how things go here. We contribute and debate things and mix with others.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

My policy is that I'm watching this thread very closely and 1 more off-the-wall argumentative post will have this thread locked. Also if you've a problem with a poster, please PM myself or one of the other moderators - don't bring it up in the thread itself.

I'll tentatively agree with you about constructive criticism rnot about the magazine itself. I've my own personal opinions of Free but I'm not going to air them here as the thread is messed up enough. Please try and move it back on topic or the thread will probably be locked. And no more "flame baiting" or accusations thereof please. It's distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I'm not very well acquainted with Free!, but from what I remember most of the articles in this glossy publication (calling it a magazine would be a stretch) were scene and sex orientated, with the rest of the 'content' usually consisting of advertising and personals. That's fine if you want to read about that sort of stuff but if you are trying to reach a wider demograph then it singles out that publication as catering almost exclusively to a particular audience. However, I'm not going to castigate Free! for this, especially since quite a few gay publications share these traits. Again, bear in mind that it may have changed recently, or my memory might not be wholly accurate. I'm simply calling it as I see it.

Now that that opinion piece is out of the way, I'll answer the specific point you made about flaming. Whether it was warranted or not, some people do seem to have an issue with the manner in which you have posted. I'm not sure I would characterise it as being self aggrandising or attention seeking, but you do seem to try to champion lots of causes like Johnny, Free!, etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, but who exactly benefits from this exposure? Them, or you? I agree that the points raised by other posters could have been phrased in a somewhat more genial manner, but the points still stand.

At the end of the day however, it doesn't really matter what anyone says here. It's only a discussion board. I would personally recommend you lurk around a bit, find out a bit more about the particular character of this board. It's not that we mitigate against new members, it's just that opening up several solicitation threads is generally frowned upon, no matter who the culprit is.

Oh and enjoy your travels.

In coughlanc's latest post, he calls me bitchy and destructive. I reject both and believe that I have a right to do so, in the same public place as these personalised accusations were uttered.

In deference to ixoy's request to keep the thread on topic, I will not respond/address any other aspect the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are you sure you aren't just trying to impress us all with some juvenile "look how many countries my willie's been in" listing ??

In fairness to Conor I do think the above statement was just taking a swipe at him,

He is doing something constuctive and then people just attack him as being attention seeking

Ok back on topic,

I think this may be a good idea to have that section on travel in Free and perhaps people could send in suggestions through Free

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I guess people are right on some points, I did assume that this web portal operated like many other lgbt forums.... and there are some differences.

Is there a LGBT community, group section? could such a soc category /sub section be created?

This section could be where lgbt groups etc make postings (although - still needs to be visible to all lgbt visitors).

With regard to the query about my posting methodology ... I regret to inform some people that I am not interested in self promotion on this board, but I do have a genuine passion about the groups, activities that I am actively involved in - I guess this could be incorrectly read as 'me me me me me me'

I do believe that such threads are appropriate for this section as the traditional communication channels open to LGBT people are not the best method for reaching all 'Queers'. They tend to be very scene orientated.

If your not OUT or not frequented the 'scene' then you are not going to be informed.

With regard to who benefits from such postings, I would like to think that we all do?
    Many Many lGBT people and others are not aware of the resources, groups, opportunities that are open to them and its beneficial to be informed.

I agree that my format to date may have been somewhat new to many, I am the kind of poster who likes to inform people about action that is taking place and generate discussion and awareness ... in many senses the discussion has already taken place

However I had hoped that this thread 'Travel' would have been opportunity for people to get involved (in a proactive constructive manner) with regard to my column
    and I still think its an open opp.

I think perhaps (as I am new - but eager) this channel is use to discussing topics, issues and then taking action? I hope there is some action??? As i believe strongly in changing the environment for the better - if people identify defficencies then you should challenge or address them - as best you can....not just simple chat ...

With regard to opening many threads... why is that a faux pas on this board? The reason I have done so - is that each thread had a different scope - thus would require different opinnions on the issue.. as opposed to inter-mingling different perspectives of different topics....

However perhaps this is not the case?

I would like to wrap up this phase by saying ...

I shall endeavour to create conducive informative postings that are relevant to this board - but I ask that people dont jump to conclusions about what an individuals stance for doing so is (when truly I dont have some hidden objective) and give a new member some grace.....

Here is to happier postings...lol

Now if anyone has anything to say about my Travel Column - PLEASE DO .......

Actually you know what, I was about to give you the benfit of the doubt but then I re-read your posts. Your "Donations" thread has pissed me off.

You were totally misleading about Johnny. In fact you were soliciting for donations without disclosing you were their Chairman. That's fraud and that's a crime.

I'm sure the Revenue Commissioners might think again about the Charity Status of Johnny if they see that you are commiting fraudulent acts.

Now if anyone has anything to say about my Travel Column - PLEASE DO .......

I'm sorry, but I cant let that pass. That is exactly what I did above, and it resulted in you launching an offensive personalised attack. I have no problem with the majority of your post. The first paragraph in which you call me bitchy and destructive was totally unwarranted.

Let this act as a warning to others that they leave themselves open to attack if they have the temerity to respond to one of your posts in a manner that does not meet with your approval.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

*Sigh*

De Rebel - I understand you're frustrated, but please try not to post "warnings" about replying to another poster. It's somewhat of a flame bait really.

JPaulik - I'm not sure about the legislation involved and couldn't find anything easily.

Coughlanc - You have to be prepared for people to disagree with you. As has been said already to you, this is a discussion forum. It is not an advertisement forum. If people dislike Free, don't bite their head off for it. All of those posters who have disagreed with you have a longer posting history than you and know their way about this place better. It is not a hostile forum - the only hostility may ever arise is when people refuse to back down from their POV. A few people are guilty of this on this thread. Your suggestion for a place to post is duly noted and duly ignored since there has never been a need for it before now when we have this forum. Here is fine once we can all play nice.

Against my better judgment I'm going to leave the thread open in the hopes the sniping can settle down...

I believe that I have made fair and reasonable compromises with regard to my approach, but people are unwilling to even change their mind sets - this is very frustrating - i never expected people to agree with my statements - i do however expect people to show logical process to their online statements or be open to two way communication.

This thread was soley opened for travel related discussion.. I see now that the post should not have made ref to the mag title... a lesson learned.. but comments about my travel history - petty .. to say the least...

However I am well used to such characters and people who cut n paste and change statements or omit them (perhaps forgetting? their previous remarks).. I wonder who in this thread that could be =)

I also do believe - like many other boards that irrelevant statements should be reomoved - if they are way off the mark etc.. however it certainly livens up debate..lol

As for my statements regarding individual personas - they still stand and were listed after a number of direct personal assumptions (almots synical to the core) were made - i think they were not related to the threads and were not intended in any way to be, so my responses were appropriate - and still not listened too.

With regard to the statements about my chairmanship - I decided not to reply to the previous statements as they were non constructive and the latest one is still the same- I dont actually believe that some people will understand this but here we go - its very simple.. but some people still wont get it or be willing to accept it.

When i post under coughlanc or for that matter when any member of Johnny posts with out using official org profile (not on here - it is on gaire, gcn, queeird and so forth) they are making personal statements not group ones.

I am not a paid member nor am I employed by Johnny and nor is the group and extension of my body. Therefore I am able to discuss why i belive it is a good group to join etc as I had to make that decision myself when joining in the first place and still have to refresh this concept continuously - people should always make sure that what ever group their with is suitable to their individual needs and wants.

Its the same for my professional career - I could comment on employers on a personal basis and on a org representative basis - both could be very different.

Its that simple......

I look forward now to lively discussions on this board - as i intend to tackle the passive agressive people or anyone who jumps on other people with out attempt to listen... its getting quite fun...

I would ask people before critiquing this post - to stop and think for a second...

Back to topic however - I know there are people reading these postings - who wanted to see a discussion ref Travel - so I shall attempt once again to bring it back on track.

My next article is going to be on Ibiza - it will be different to what many will expect.
    So if you have been - please comment and tell me how you found it.

If you have not been and have some non relevant comment - Please .. please .. please hold off and post that some where else?

Do you think i should start a new thread called Ibiza? and get this one deleted (if possible)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

If you have not been and have some non relevant comment - Please .. please .. please hold off and post that some where else?

I think the stigma of your dishonesty will follow you around this forum. I'm not sure is JPaulik correct in stating what you did was a crime but it certainly is dishonest and deceptive.

It's pretty obvious that you are Chairman of Johnny and I think you actually need to apologise to the forum members here for the way you acted. If a chairman of a business or a charity guilt trips people to donate money on a forum while not mentioning they are involved in said business/charity it is at least morally wrong.

Would you donate to a charity that uses underhanded techniques to gain support ?

Passive agressive , heh don't you love Power Words ?

As stated my next column will be on Ibiza - if you have any related information to this thread please post - your experiences, all are welcome and will be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

With regard to the statements about my chairmanship - I decided not to reply to the previous statements as they were non constructive and the latest one is still the same- I dont actually believe that some people will understand this but here we go - its very simple.. but some people still wont get it or be willing to accept it.

When i post under coughlanc or for that matter when any member of Johnny posts with out using official org profile (not on here - it is on gaire, gcn, queeird and so forth) they are making personal statements not group ones.

I am not a paid member nor am I employed by Johnny and nor is the group and extension of my body. Therefore I am able to discuss why i belive it is a good group to join etc as I had to make that decision myself when joining in the first place and still have to refresh this concept continuously - people should always make sure that what ever group their with is suitable to their individual needs and wants.

Its the same for my professional career - I could comment on employers on a personal basis and on a org representative basis - both could be very different.

Having been subscribed to the gay-ireland list and active in the IRC room a couple of years ago I remember that you used to get a fair amount of stick from people in both places, and fair play for you to sticking with your convictions and being passionate about what you do.

However, you must also consider the points that people have made about you misleading people about your post on donations. You say that such comments are non-constructive, but they need to be addressed, because at the moment it looks like you are dodging the issue.

I'm no stranger to trying to seperate my personal opinions from my professional ones, or post views in a forum where it needs to be clear that while I may be on xyz committee, my opinions are my personal beliefs and do not necessarily reflect whatever group as a whole. I understand what you're saying. However, I still feel it was misleading that you did not mention that you were/are the chairperson of the Johnny group.

Had you posted something like "Hey, I'm involved in the Johnny charity and I think it's great because of X, Y, and Z" or had you posted your opinion and then made people aware of your personal involvement then I don't think anyone would have had a problem. The issue here stems from the fact that you did not inform people of this, thus you seemed to be trying to canvas for support/donations/whatever in a secretive or sneaky manner.

As for Ibiza, never been there... when I think of the place drunken English louts come to mind... if you've any insights into other aspects of the place to accompany the stereotypical ones we have it might be interesting to hear them.

Cheers.

Woah, been a busy forum today.

I agree with Moridin. He said it really well.

I have answered in detail all responses to queries.

There was a whole another thread regarding this - so I call upon people to post travel related material in this thread only.

Essentially the topic is Ibiza - so if you have been - please comment.

Thanks,

Coughlanc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I have answered in detail all responses to queries.

There was a whole another thread regarding this - so I call upon people to post travel related material in this thread only.

Strange, I didn't see a lot of the points I raised previously answered by you. I did see some question dodging and whining about people not posting thread-relevant comments however, but no straight answers. (excuse the pun :p)

Thanks,

Coughlanc

I also commented on ibiza, if you'd taken the time to read through the whole post.

Originally posted by moridin
    Having been subscribed to the gay-ireland list and active in the IRC room a couple of years ago I remember that you used to get a fair amount of stick from people in both places, and fair play for you to sticking with your convictions and being passionate about what you do.

HA.

I was so wondering if someone would mention that. The gay-ireland list in its heyday, Merlin and Tomer and Joe Lex and Keith Mills and the eurovision gang posting a heady mix of trash and weighty topics, variously challenging, entertaining and thought provoking. A little bit like an unmoderated version of the boards.ie LGB forum today. And along came one coughlanc, with an opinion on everything and everybody, always ready to criticise and complain and politically correct everybody else on the list. And it all descended into meaningless flame wars, and suddenly the humour and the thought provoking posts went away, and the gayireland list pretty much died, spammed to death by one coughlanc.

It would be such a shame if we had a repeat performance here.

Sorry, I haven't been.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement