Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Oil Disposal?

Options
  • 12-07-2004 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm just wondering, for those of you that change your own oil, where/how do you dispose of the old oil?

Cheers,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I put it in the bottle and throw it in the wheelie bin. Probably not the best idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Go to a Bring Center, most accepts motor oil so they can sfaely dispose of it, check with your local authority to see where the nearest place is to you, where are you based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I'm Dublin based, ah right, I didn't know the bring centres accept engine oil.

Thanks,

DC.

I was just having a look here....
    http://www.dublincity.ie/wasteinfo/fra_ind.asp?ID=2&PG=rec_1.htm

It seems that there are only 2 places in Dublin that accept waste engine oil (the 2 recycling centres)
    Does anyone know if any of the bring centres accept it?

Thanks,

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Collin avenue, across from DCU, bring centre now accepts engine & old cooking oil.
    They started doing this just recently, so I would say the website is a little out of date.

Probably best to call your nearest centre, as least they will point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've heard that some petrol stations will take used motor oil as well, not 100% sure about that though.

Cheers lads, thanks for the help...

@pan - where exactly is the bring centre on collins ave? I know there are some bottle/clothes banks in DCU and also down at Whitehall.

Thanks,

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Hi dcGT

It's directly across the road from DCU collin ave entrance. It's down a small laneway between the houses that face DCU.
    It's also where the Concil Waste trucks leave from...

Mon-Sat open till 4pm

Hope this helps

Ah yeah, I know the place well, I'll check it out. Cheers pan.

DC.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by seamus
    I put it in the bottle and throw it in the wheelie bin. Probably not the best idea.
    no, not really! tsk, tsk, tsk

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kbannon
    no, not really! tsk, tsk, tsk
    For the record, the bulk of the oil which I had removed in the last 6 months got spilled all over the driveway when I knocked over the bottle last night. Karma....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Pardon my English ignorance, but what exactly is a "Bring Center" ? Some sort of general purpose dispoasal/recycling place?

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    Pardon my English ignorance, but what exactly is a "Bring Center" ? Some sort of general purpose dispoasal/recycling place?

Precisely, they usually have recycling facilities for bottles, clothes/textiles, old car batteries etc..... bascially the kind of stuff you shouldn't dump in your household waste. There are also bigger ones where you can dispose of 'white' goods like washing machines, dish washers etc. It's a very good idea.

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Ah, thanks. Around here big stuff like old freezers can just be taken to the local dump (I beg your pardon, "Household waste disposal site" as they call it.... ;)). They have a deposit point for old engine oil as well.

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    Ah, thanks. Around here big stuff like old freezers can just be taken to the local dump (I beg your pardon, "Household waste disposal site" as they call it.... ;)). They have a deposit point for old engine oil as well.
    Yeah, it's an area where we've become surprisingly forward-thinking. Due to rakes of illegal dumping by contractors (medical waste dumped in the mountains, into people's water supplies), laws have been tightened, and penalties for illegal dumping are severe.
    Ordinary householders can now no longer bring waste to dumps, and must either pay a contractor to dispose of it, or bring their stuff to a bring centre, which will take pretty much everything, and do their best to recycle what they can.

Advertisement