Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats in Garden.

Options
  • 11-07-2004 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Anyone recommend a good way to get rid of rats that venture into the garden. We first had the problem a couple months ago and used a poison called storm in one of those bait points. This worked then but now more have arrived and they will not touch the poison. I cannot have a cat around the house as kids have asthma. Any idea's.

Big lad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Make sure they have no source of food and nowhere to nest.

Is a dog an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a West Highland Terrier. Small white dog, under a foot tall, when standing.
    We used to have rats, but not any more. Holly (the Westie) is a ratter by nature; the type of dog used to hunt rats. If ye saw what she does to a glove, you'd agree.
    A few families in the area have Westies, some of which have small kids, so I'd say it wouldn't be a problem with your's. Also, as the Westies is small, they don't take up much room, and are easy to exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Get a rat trap,

af185.jpg

place it near the rat run (rats have low bodys that compress grass and leave a distinctive trail) idealy place it in a secluded area,near a wall,behind a bin would be ideal.

bread soaked in bacon grease and bacon rinds make a good bait.

the only drawback with catching them live is you will need to off them with an air rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Clintons Cat

the only drawback with catching them live is you will need to off them with an air rifle

Or drown them as my old man used to do. Rat, trap and all into the container. Ah, happy childhood memories:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

My dad just whacked them over the head with a hammer, messy but the drama is better than anything on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Originally posted by Clintons cat & borzoi

Or you could post them in your enemy/rivals post box if you were mean, imagine going to bed and finding one of them between the sheets !!

on a more serious note, you could use an electronic pest repeller

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by netwhizkid
    on a more serious note, you could use an electronic pest repeller
    House mate had one of them in room next to my bedroom. I didn't sleep for 3 weeks. :mad:

Advertisement