Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any real maps of Luas?

Options
  • 09-07-2004 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

I was wondering where the stop in Ranelagh was and looked at the Luas site. "On new bridge over Ranelagh Road". Where the heck is that?

Looking over the site, it seems that the fare structure is pretty much the kind of overticked high-priced rip-off one has come to expect from public transport in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

They're all in the DTO's journey planner. I've attached a map showing the stop in Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Well, there's only one Bridge over that road so I'd say that's it.
    Map attached from DTO webiste.

It was an expensive system to install and I think the price is quite reasonable given that you can be in the centre of town within 5 minutes from Ranelagh with no trouble at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Where is the DTO travel planner?

Expensive? Yes, it was. A good deal more expensive than it ought to have been.

The cost seems high because the system isn't integrated. Compare the cost of going from Sutton to Greystones on the DART to the cost of going from Sutton to Tara Street, then Stephen's Green to Ranalagh.

It just doesn't seem very well thought out. Why the blue and red lines aren't connected is incomprehensible. That 15-minute walk between the two lines is a real fault in the system as far as I can see.

I dunno. I've used transport systems in Berlin, Budapest, Copenhagen, London, New York, Oslo, Paris, Prague, Stockholm, Tallinn, and Washington. Why can't we get it right?

I did find the DTO journey planner, which does have a map showing the Charlemont and Ranelagh stops in relation to places I want to go in Ranelagh. Useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It just doesn't seem very well thought out. Why the blue and red lines aren't connected is incomprehensible. That 15-minute walk between the two lines is a real fault in the system as far as I can see.

Incomprehensible? The answer is very simple. If you are Over 18, you may have voted for the people who made the decision. It was a political decision not a transport planners decision.
    On new bridge over Ranelagh Road

That's a pretty accurate description of where exactly the stop is!!

• Advertisement

I voted against them, and haven't been to Ranalagh since they put in an overbridge, so I haven't seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Yoda
    I was wondering where the stop in Ranelagh was and looked at the Luas site. "On new bridge over Ranelagh Road". Where the heck is that?
    At the old railway embankment at the city end of Ranelagh. ;)
    Originally posted by Yoda
    Why the blue and red lines aren't connected is incomprehensible.
    Green and red.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

There's no reason why they can't extend LINE B (ahhh, i keep forgetting the stupid colours, this is the Green line, right?) onto LINE A at some point in the future.

You won't find many capital cities as small and organically laid out as Dublin is, building a new light rail system. The cost of the labour it so damn expensive nowadays but also it's not easy to work out out a good route to extend the Stephen's Green LUAS onto O'Connell Street, so isn't it good we have some kind of system working instead of trying to do it all at once? Who knows, maybe they'll make the connection underground...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Yeah quite a number of tram systems in germany run underground, particularly in city centres. Somehow, I can't really imagine them having trams going down dawson st. and nassau st., they'd have to ban cars from those areas altogether, underground may be the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by Hecate
    they'd have to ban cars from those areas altogether.

And this is a bad thing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement