Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

With regards to indoor growing.

Options
  • 08-07-2004 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Purely out of curiosity, what are the quaterly electricity rates for running either a 400w or 250w HPS grow lamp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

~€88 as a rough estimation. Seems cheap though.

.4kW @ €0.10/kWhr = €0.04/hr x 24 hours x 92 days

How much hash you ou produce with the one lamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

jumping to conclusion are we victor?

Never! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

its tomatoes he's talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

JP, Jean: Did I stumble across your private chat room or something? :p

The amount of "tomatoes" I'd b looking to grow would be 4 "tomato plants" with a yield of circa 350-500 grams m/2 which is 12.35-17.64 ounces. Although having said that I reckon the area I'll be growing the tomatoes in will be less than a m/2.

And to actually answer your original question Victor ;) The 400W is perfect for 4 plants, whereas the 250W is your basic "trailer trash, redneck, grow two plants in a closet" type job.

On a further note Victor, seeing as you seem to know a wee bit about this (in fact I the thought th you worked for the ESB even flashed through my mind, this would of course mean that you possess a pair of Devil's horns...). Anywho, is there any possibility, given such a large amount of power usage for a residential building, that the Gardai or the ESB might ask questions regarding the growing of tomatoes? Or might even pop around to have a tomato salad served as a side to a search warrant?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

if it was a 400w donut maker then most definitely :D

Corega wrote:
    Anywho, is there any possibility, given such a large amount of power usage for a residential building, that the Gardai or the ESB might ask questions regarding the growing of tomatoes? Or might even pop around to have a tomato salad served as a side to a search warrant?
    Do you think they would notice if you left the immersion on? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Victor wrote:
    Do you think they would notice if you left the immersion on? :rolleyes:

It's them "tomatoes" that are making him paranoid, poor lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Well I presumed the auld immersion required less electricity than......

Let me reword that question. Is there any possibility of electricity bills being monitored by our sexy Garda Siochana or anybody else for that matter?

Corega wrote:
    Is there any possibility of electricity bills being monitored by our sexy Garda Siochana or anybody else for that matter?
    Highly unlikely, however they might be able to draw some inferences afterwards from a €2,000 a month domestic bill :D (see "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

Hmm.. just for yer interest sake, i've quite succesfully grown 8 tomatoe plants in a standard sized wooden closset with some slight mods (using chain, a saw and some nails) under a single main 400watter (and some quite cleverly placed fluers).. weightage last cycle was wonky though due to bulbs being delayed in the post.

The bane of adult plants too long under tubes, eh? *sigh*

Also ways of defeating suspicion, electricity wise (three points among many)

1. turn down the temperature on your boiler.. quite the saving on power
    2. ALWAYS have the growth cycle burn light at night... a big increse in daylight power is going to look strange
    3. Try to live with other people... Many persons together burn an unknown quantity of midnight oil...

oh and you could always try building your own generator that runs on tomatoe oil... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 b-bops

hey don't mean to but in but i am sure after that little conversation the garda would not have to monitor your electricity bill they would just have to trace your details over the net....easilly done.....anyway good luck with your tomatoes..... :eek:

Advertisement