Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic Store Contacts?

Options
  • 08-07-2004 4:32pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking, are there people on this board who work in/know people who work in comic stores? It'd be cool if we could have a sticky or something in which said people could post about new books/comics being carried by their store, or let people know about stuff going on in store (eg Free comic book day). I mean, I know other realms has their website, but without being harsh on them, it's a bit crap and their full catalogue doesn' seem to be online. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I don't know if a sticky would be such a great idea because we can't be seen as such to be advertising for anyone. Though if people want to post up days that things might be happening that should be OK.

Would only be mentioning that stuff was happening though. Can't really go as far as people coming on advertising their shops directly or talking about their list of stock etc because those who lurk above may decide it's not on :)

But we'll see what gets posted and see where to take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

i could post on here but it would be advertising, no matter what i said. I work for a big comic shop.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well, what I was thinking was to have something like a thread where, every month, the comic store people post up something (perhaps linked in with the newsarama newsletters) about, say, one graphic novel and two serial issues that have caught their eye that month.

Obviously we don't want loads of spammage, I just thought it'd be interesting to see what different stores, possibly with different stockists and hopefully carrying local or at least Irish comics, would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Well a "comic of the month" or "TPB of the month" or "Graphic novel of the month" thread would be a good idea. People from shops can post but don't necessarily have to say they're posting from a shop. Could be customers posting as well.

That would be fine - but we just can't have people posting about their shops in relation to stock etc because that would go down as them advertising.

I don't know what the rules would be though in relation to sigs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I have a question for folks who might actually work in comic book shops, without going too specific.

What are they like to work for? I mean, yeah, every young nerd with a dream wants to Kevin Smith it in a comic shop like, ooh...say Prohibited World, but is it truly as gleefully nerdy as Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons or Tim from Spaced would have us believe?

• Advertisement

um its in my opinionits ok it seems better for others, but its more or less an easy job. At times repetitively boring, i.e. tidy shelves, tidy shelves. etc.....

Can have a laugh with some customers, talk about stuff your into. Personally i dont get a chance to watch tv very often ,and i dont really like anime/manga, so it can be dull or boring when that is all that people want to talk about.

and yes there is an alful lot of eliteism, from customers and staff, which is s***e.

it is possable to lose interest in things you like, when you are talking aboout and looking at it all day 5 days a week, i.e. you stop reading comics, no longer interested in the action figures.

It loses its fun once you start working in the shop.

Also when people you dont know, find out where you work and plague you to give them discounts, on lenore and squee comics and nightmare before christmas stuff, its annoying

Its just that I already have a really boring job. I'd just like one nearer comics. :D

it would also more than likely be a paycut too

Excellent point.

But on the other hand, I spent at least an hour today fantasising about setting my in-tray alight and dumping it over my boss.

i spent all of my today in work, trying to figure out the love hina mini figures? when must they all be in bikini's? also what is TEACHER PLEASE meant to be?

• Advertisement
Advertisement