Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct Pronunciation

Options
  • 07-07-2004 6:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I have been unable to find a correct (consistant) pronunciation for my last name in gaeilge:

MacMurchadha.

I have found everything from phonetically: "Mer - kada" to "Moore - hawa".

I would like some verification on the correct way.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Off the bat, I'd say

Mac Mur-a-cha (where you pronounce the ch like in loch, the "mur" like in femur).

The dh wouldn't have been pronounced in centuries.

There could well be other accpeted pronunciations as well - I'll try to get more info for you on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm swinging with 'moore kada' kinda thing...

btw if your surname is murphy then murchada isn't ur surname anyway afaik. Ó Murchú (I think) is the translation...

Both Ó Murchú and MacMurchadha exist in Irish, they were used in different parts of the country - they have the same basic meaning - grandson (Ó) or son (mac) of Murchadh. (Murchadh is a first name).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd just pronounce it like O'Murchú, as I know one person who spells it the old-fashioned way, yet pronounces it as above.

Though I've also heard O-Mur-cha-da

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kheanmurphy

Grand,

Thanks

• Advertisement

Yeah, apparently like Ó Murchú is the commonest pronunciation in Munster for the surname. There's a few other pronunciations as well, depending on dialect though.

Advertisement