Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] McDowell hits out at Luas danger

Options
  • 05-07-2004 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thepost.ie/web/DocumentView/did-256454968-pageUrl--2FThe-Newspaper-2FSundays-Paper-2FNews.asp
    McDowell hits out at Luas danger
    04/07/04 00:00
    By Sean Mac Carthaigh

The Minister for Justice has threatened to hold the Luas chief executive personally and morally responsible for accidents due to poor safety at crossings.

A letter from Michael McDowell to Frank Allen, chief executive of the Railway Procurement Agency (RPA), seen by The Sunday Business Post, details an incident in May at the Cowper Luas crossing in Rathmines, in which two children narrowly escaped injury.

``The Luas driver had to slam on the brakes when the two school pupils were in the middle of the track,'' McDowell said in his letter.

The minister stated that he had written to Allen on a previous occasion pointing out that someone would be killed unless safety was improved at the crossing, and stressing that schoolchildren were the likely victims.

McDowell wrote: ``This is a question of accountability. The crossing is not safe and inadequate measures have been taken to deal with the fact that it is a through route for commuters and particularly for schoolchildren.''

He made it clear that he was angry with Allen personally about this.

``I don't know how strongly I have to couch my representations to you. But in view of this latest incident, this is a matter of direct personal accountability and moral responsibility,'' he wrote.

``If you propose leaving the stop in its current condition, please confirm that to me and I will draw it to the attention of the public. If you propose to carry out any remedial works so as to make this crossing safer, please tell me what you propose to do.''

Advertisement