Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new talent in the provinces?

Options
  • 05-07-2004 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if there is any good young talent breaking into the provincial sides at the minute?
    with the new season approaching fast wondering if we can expect some more strength in depth from the provinces.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Take to watching the celtic league for your new guys, from a munster point of view I don't think there is any new amazing talent breaking throught to the HEC team. Mossie Lawlow, Eoin Reddan, Frank Murphy, Conrad O'Sullivan and Stephan Keogh should be stepping closer to that level this season though.... fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

keeping an eye on the under 21 lads will be interesting..

should be a star or two there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ruck-it

Originally posted by GreenHell
    Take to watching the celtic league for your new guys, from a munster point of view I don't think there is any new amazing talent breaking throught to the HEC team. Mossie Lawlow, Eoin Reddan, Frank Murphy, Conrad O'Sullivan and Stephan Keogh should be stepping closer to that level this season though.... fingers crossed.
    Well it all depends on whether you consider Dennis Leamy old or new young talent :D

Out of that 21's side for Munster, the men to watch are Richard Lane, Thomas O'Leary and Shane O'Connor. IMHO. I don't know enough about any front rows at youth levels, which is where we badly need people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭munster rucker

i'm not sure that conrad o'sullivans contract was renewed for munster this season. It may have been, but can't be too sure.
    frank roche has just signed a full contract for munster, so hopefully we'll see some improvements from him within the coming season.
    frank murphy is a better prospect @ scrumhalf, than reddan is imho. Reddan was very slow to pass the ball last season, although this may be because of our poor pack in the CL games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ruck-it

Agreed, I couldn't see why Gaffney consistently gave Reddan the nod over Murphy. Conrad's contract should have been renewed. He wasn't given a fair shot to prove himself at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I don't know enough about any front rows at youth levels, which is where we badly need people!

yeah i agree there is a serious lack of players willing to play front row, and even fewer with talent and good coaches(at youth level). it may become an issue in the near future if we have a few more injurys at 1 or 3 for ireland. we get blown away by most half decent front rows now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I'd imagine Gaffers was looking for a bit more variation at scum half, from what I've seen of Frank Murphy he is very much in the same vain as stringer, no knocking Murhpy there I think he is a fine player. Reddens sniping runs are good but know one on the munster side seems to notice he has just run off with the ball.

I'm hoping for big things from our younger players with very little happening on the transfer market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭munster rucker

Originally posted by GreenHell

I'm hoping for big things from our younger players with very little happening on the transfer market. [/B]

well you're wish has been granted when it comes to the latter part of that statement. Two mediocre signings so far, i hope they can perform.
    I think we will see improvements this year from our younger players, our "older" players will be around a lot more this season to pass on their wisdom.

Advertisement