Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitman

Options
  • 01-07-2004 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭

Any of you guys played Hitman 3- if yes what do you think of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Wrong forum, this is strategy..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Hitman is a strategy game:p

If Im thinking of the right game, then Hitman is a FPS game, if there is a Hitman RTS, point me in the right direction, plz thx. If any game with any kind of strategy went here pretty much all stealth FPS's would go here (theif series, tom clancy series etc), so generally FPS games go on the games forum :)

Your Right it is a FSP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,567 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I dunno - there is kinda an argument for Hitman and similar as being strategy games. There not FPS as in the style of Doom, Quake, Serious Sam, Unreal and other "shoot everything that moves, and if you cant kill it, you need a bigger gun" type stuff.

I mean, I just finished Hidden & Dangerous 2 - FPS or strategy game? Whatever about the "repesentation" of the game, its more strategy than run and gun gameplay. Sure, its got a FP viewpoint but to accomplish missons you need to do recon to see what your up against, make a plan ( how are you going to approach the target without being seen, how you are going to deal with that tank, can you afford to slip past that outpost or do you have to risk taking it down so youre not leaving any enemy behind you? etc, etc ) and execute it - rarely can you just waltz in shooting as the odds are often impossible in a stand up fight. I dont think the FP view means its not a strategy game, I think it makes it far more immersive than say , blitzkrieg or sudden strike.

Just as much strategy to my mind as a 3rd person perspective "build base, harvest resources, churn out units, rinse and repeat". Perhaps even more so, as you have to plan with what you have and cant simply build more units to replace losses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

If someone wants to talk about a game in here that in their mind is 'strategy', its ok with me. My own opinion is that RTS games are not strategy games either, but thats just my point of view :)

Hidden and Dangerous definately has a strong element of strategy to it, as does Ghost Recon, as you get teams of men to control, but Its not that way with Hitman. I can see where your coming from though, but even games like Doom did have an element of strategy, however small, as what way uou take down a wall of 50 revenants does really matter (Play the Doom2 mod 'Hell Revealed 2' if you want maps with literally walls of monsters, so many monsters it can lag my PC which runs Thief 3 well).

ps: the old Quake saying was 'if it moves shoot it, if it doesnt, shoot it til it does' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Originally posted by Mac daddy
    Any of you guys played Hitman 3- if yes what do you think of it

A repetition of many of the levels in Hitman 1 only shinier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by tba
    A repetition of many of the levels in Hitman 1 only shinier

Thats a fact mate, not an opinion.

I played hitman 1 to death and was very disappointed to be playing the exact same levels. Having a laugh by blasting everyone to bits has already lost its novelty since the games physics is exactly the same.

No patch on its predeccesors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    My own opinion is that RTS games are not strategy games either, but thats just my point of view :)

But ain't that contradicting their definition? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

RTS should be renamed to RTT real time tactical, games like total war are strategic and the new lord of the rings seems to be inching that way.

most turn based war games are strategic. real time is mostly tactical.

Theres a fine line between Tactical and Strategy tho, quite hard to define the iffrence in fact :confused:

In terms of a game of chess, tactics are a more short term plan, a strategy is longer term

hope that helps:confused:

I would say it would be largely opinion too tho really, I would say Streategy is your overall plan, what you build up to, and rarely change's after you come up with one, tactics are all the bits in between which change constantly to react with the enemy. So while I agree with you that tactics are short term, they arent a plan, just a way to fulfill your strategy. However its still a vague diffrence, and basically you cant have one without the other, tactics without strategy is just tweak skills, as in you reacr purely on current events instead of havign any plan at all (FPS's are mostly tweak skill), strategy without tactics can be something that involve's no opposition or something likely to change............ like the order you do the washing up in (ie: after 1 more game ;)).

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Tactical Shooter - isn't that what they call those games?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I think you all need girlfriends. LOL!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

No we need you, your wit and your valuable contributions. Do you have a newsletter to which I can subscribe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Maximilian
    No we need you, your wit and your valuable contributions. Do you have a newsletter to which I can subscribe?

Yes but it's not for the general citizenry.

Tell me more...

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    I think you all need girlfriends. LOL!

please shut up! dont ever post anything like that again you complete sap

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Rnger
    Thats a fact mate, not an opinion.

I played hitman 1 to death and was very disappointed to be playing the exact same levels. Having a laugh by blasting everyone to bits has already lost its novelty since the games physics is exactly the same.

No patch on its predeccesors.

True i was most disapointed with the game- I have all three of them and the first one is the best one.
    But the weapons are better

Advertisement