Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas as time machine - James St area again

Options
  • 01-07-2004 2:34am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It now seems that traffic wishing to enter St Patricks Hospital will have to use Steeven's Lane to access the main gate of the hospital. Up to now it appeared that all traffic would be banned from Steeven's lane. Today though two new signs appeared below those indicating 'no entry' (at the entrance to Steeven's Lane from Jame's St and Bow Lane) as saying that access was allowed to 'Steven's Hospital'.

Now unfortunately to add further to the confusion Dr Steven's Hospital has been closed since the late 80's so it is reasonable to assume that they mean St. Patrick's hospital. (see photo) St Patricks Hospital Location The Old Dr Steven's Hospital is occupied by the ERHA and there is no access to it from Steeven's Lane.

I think this is potentially very dangerous as it will lead to a regular flow (including of course non visitors just using the access to get to the quays) of traffic intermingling with the trams. So far as I could see on a brief visit to the hospital the only sign inside the main gate is the usual tram one - as yet there are no prohibitions on turning left towards the quays which I presume will be the intention.

As there are trams travelling on this line the situation is already potentially very dangerous.

There is no indication to traffic as they approach the turn to Steeven's lane from either Bow Lane or James St that they should not enter the Lane. The first indication of this is at the entrance where the 'no entry' signs are. Surely by then it is far too late and motorists are entitled to a much earlier warning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Keep at it my friend but unfortunately you won't stop progress!

The sign you referring to seems to be a temporary sign. As the line is not yet open (although you suggest that there is testing) it may change in time. I assume cars willbe allowed on the road to access the few premises that are on the street but it won't be a through road. At the end of the day, these are tram lines and not rain lines so cars and trams can share the same space as done elsewhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Originally posted by BrianD
    Keep at it my friend but unfortunately you won't stop progress!

I dont know where you go the idea that ''progress'' is at issue here. I am simply concerned with safety and lack of clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by woodyg
    I dont know where you go the idea that ''progress'' is at issue here. I am simply concerned with safety and lack of clarity.
    Um...two different nicks?

I've said it before, where's the safety danger? The system is designed for Trams and cars to share roads. Like I said - The trams have brakes.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally posted by seamus
    Um...two different nicks?

I've said it before, where's the safety danger? The system is designed for Trams and cars to share roads. Like I said - The trams have brakes.....

Apologies posted the above in an internet cafe and did not notice there was a already a sign in.

I think anyone familiar with the area would see lots of dangers and I think we are all aware that the trams have brakes but why test them unnecessarily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Dub45 you are obviously a resident and possess a local knowledge beyond most of us. I pass through the area regularly and am making observations. I feel that you might be too close to the situation and are very quick to jump to conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Dub45,

Funny enough I walked down Steeven's lane last Saturday. I got the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that access to St. Patrick's Hospital will be allowed from Steeven's lane, but the road is not a through road, so for example, traffic coming out of the gates on Steeven's lane can not turn left, only right. I also got the impression that this is not temporary.

The sign your reporting probably wasn't there then (even if it was I didn't notice it anyway) is probably just incorrect.

If the traffic volumes using Steeven's lane is low (although not ideal) I can't see it causing a major problem. I do not anticipate the Luas moving at any great speed on this segment.

Now, if the sign is correct, it raises an interesting question. Access (as I'm sure you know Dub45) to St. Steeven's 'hospital' is from Johns Rd West. To access this coming from the south west is particularily awkward, because you either have to shuffle on to Wolfe Tone Quay and cross back onto Victoria Quay, or if via James' St., you really have to go most of the way into town so to turn around. Its silly, but that's the way things work. Was there 'pressure' from certain instituations to allow access via Steeven's lane? However as I said earlier, I really do not think its a thru' road, so I think the sign is simply incorrect.

D.

Originally posted by BrianD
    Dub45 you are obviously a resident and possess a local knowledge beyond most of us. I pass through the area regularly and am making observations. I feel that you might be too close to the situation and are very quick to jump to conclusions.

If there is any logic whatsover in this post I fail to see it.

Originally posted by dazberry
    Dub45,

Funny enough I walked down Steeven's lane last Saturday. I got the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that access to St. Patrick's Hospital will be allowed from Steeven's lane, but the road is not a through road, so for example, traffic coming out of the gates on Steeven's lane can not turn left, only right. I also got the impression that this is not temporary.

The sign your reporting probably wasn't there then (even if it was I didn't notice it anyway) is probably just incorrect.

If the traffic volumes using Steeven's lane is low (although not ideal) I can't see it causing a major problem. I do not anticipate the Luas moving at any great speed on this segment.

Now, if the sign is correct, it raises an interesting question. Access (as I'm sure you know Dub45) to St. Steeven's 'hospital' is from Johns Rd West. To access this coming from the south west is particularily awkward, because you either have to shuffle on to Wolfe Tone Quay and cross back onto Victoria Quay, or if via James' St., you really have to go most of the way into town so to turn around. Its silly, but that's the way things work. Was there 'pressure' from certain instituations to allow access via Steeven's lane? However as I said earlier, I really do not think its a thru' road, so I think the sign is simply incorrect.

D.

The signs only appeared yesterday. I think that they mean and should read 'St Patrick's Hospital' which as I was trying to point out is adding to the confusion.

One of the problems (and I checked this last night and spoke to a security guard at the hospital about it) is that there is no indication whatsoever to cars leaving the hospital that they should turn rignt only so as to take them back up toward James St. (which is the only option if it is not to be a through road.

There is a danger I think that the situation will be exploited and that Steeven's Lane will become a through road as there is nothing at the moment to stop ths happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by dub45
    It now seems that traffic wishing to enter St Patricks Hospital will have to use Steeven's Lane to access the main gate of the hospital. Up to now it appeared that all traffic would be banned from Steeven's lane. Today though two new signs appeared below those indicating 'no entry' (at the entrance to Steeven's Lane from Jame's St and Bow Lane) as saying that access was allowed to 'Steven's Hospital'.
    It's a temporary sign and it's been there a while. It's isn't even spelt right.

Don't the health board share the car park with the hospital and therefore the sign is technically right (even if Dr. Steeven's Hospital is no longer a hospital)?

Originally posted by Victor
    It's a temporary sign and it's been there a while. It's isn't even spelt right.

Don't the health board share the car park with the hospital and therefore the sign is technically right (even if Dr. Steeven's Hospital is no longer a hospital)?

Does that mean then that there is no access permitted to the main gate of St Patrick's Hospital?:)

Seriously though there is no signage around the main entrance to suggest that - the entrance to the staff car park of St Patrick's hosptial is at the top of Steeven's lane so perhaps thats where they share?.

I really do think though that there should be some indication to cars both in James St and Bow Lane that access is restricted. The first indication is the no entry sign at the entrance to Steeven's Lane. I saw a car this evening halting suddenly and having to reverse on seeing the signs.

I was surprised at how many cars were accessing the hospital this evening although it was about 8pm so probably an untypical number at that time. At least the few that left during that time all turned right!

Incidentally someone mentioned earlier that they did not expect trams to be travelling fast in that area - the signposts allow for increased speed towards the entrance to the hospital 40 at the top of the lane 50 nearer the hospital.

• Advertisement
Advertisement