Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J2ME mobile device development

Options
  • 30-06-2004 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I want to create java applications for mobiles and pda's.

Which toolkit is better - IBM Websphere Device Developer or Sun's Wireless Toolkit?

I have created some jar files already but need some help on how to upload them onto my Sharp GX10 phone.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

I'm not too sure which of the two is better but when you need to upload the app on to the phone you'll need to pick up a data cable to connect up to the phone and you'll be able to upload the app straight from your pc

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

Cheers blindas****,

Have you done it before, is it as simple to upload as it seems?

Do i need additional software to upload applications onto the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by pbarry
    I want to create java applications for mobiles and pda's.

Which toolkit is better - IBM Websphere Device Developer or Sun's Wireless Toolkit?

I havent used either, but a quick look seems to reveal that the SUN product is free, while the IBM product is only available at a cost :confused: I would say just go with the SUN toolkit and see how you get on..

I have created some jar files already but need some help on how to upload them onto my Sharp GX10 phone.

Thanks in advance!!!

If you can upload the jar file to a webserver, then just enter the URL of the jar file in the mobile browser, and the phone should recognise that it is a jar and ask you if you want to download/install

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

ya I have done it before but I didnt know about uploading it on to a webserver downloading it from there that would prob be your best option as you would have to buy the data cables and install software

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You can use the Sun Toolkit with Eclipse, however to my knowledge it does have a known issue trying to integrate the debugger into eclipse. But still well workable.

Check the FAQ.

Also uploading to your phone depends a lot on what phone you have. For example it is not possible to upload to a Sharp GX10i (on the cable, web is tricky too). I am pretty sure you can't upload to a Sharp GX10 either from the cable.

You also need to make sure your writing to the right MIDP for your device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

i have a gx10.
    If i was to put my JAR file on a webserver, will i be able to download it by just entering the JAR url in my MOBILE INTERNET search bar.

Originally posted by pbarry
    i have a gx10.
    If i was to put my JAR file on a webserver, will i be able to download it by just entering the JAR url in my MOBILE INTERNET search bar.

Read the FAQ post (which by the way isn't for posting questions).

You would need to create a JAD file as well and upload it, and the server has to be enabled to transfer JAR/JADs correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

what about ms visual studio .net??

Originally posted by dbfarrell
    what about ms visual studio .net??

What about it? It doesn't do J2ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

What about it? It doesn't do J2ME.
    fair enough...suggestion retracted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by Hobbes
    You can use the Sun Toolkit with Eclipse, however to my knowledge it does have a known issue trying to integrate the debugger into eclipse. But still well workable.

If you are going with the SUN toolkit why not use Netbeans, it will naturally have better intergation with the SUN toolkit..

http://www.netbeans.org/community/releases/36/J2ME_Support.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I created a game last year for my project and tried out most of the sdk's available (free).

I found the sun wtk 2.0 to be the best don't worry about integrating it with anything just use it on its own. Make sure your phone is midp 2.0 compliant if your using it though!

Then i used this site to upload to a server and d/load to my phone. I was using a nokia though, not too sure about types of phones.

Farlz

Advertisement