Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a rigid fork?

Options
  • 30-06-2004 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about using my mtb for touring, but I'll need a rigid fork. Anyone got suggestions on how to get one on the cheap? Do the bike shops have a pile of 2nd hand ones left from people who swap to suspension? And can I mix steel fork with Al. frame?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

The shops should have a supply, due to people upgrading, if you can however avoid 2nd hand forks (i.e those that have actually been cycled on) you've no idea what they've been subjected to. The ones left over from immediate (time of purchase) upgrades should be good to go, and fairly cheap to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Any idea of cost, even roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This needs to be approached carefully if you value your bike/squidgy bits. Unless you get a fork that is identical to the one that came off the bike, you will upset the rake and trail, making steering and handling unpredictable at best and unrideable at worst.

Stick an ad in the Buy and Sell with all the details and see what comes back - putting any old fork on will cause heartache. Why don;t you leave the fork there - can it be locked up by adding extra air/oil? Some forks have adjustment and you can make them almost solid for road use. I'd leave them on unless you are going to convert it to road use (slicks, flat bars, close ratio gears).

Take care,

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

cost - roughly, v.roughly €40. But that may not include fitting...

Advertisement