Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Neverending Story

Options
  • 30-06-2004 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

One of my favourite films of all time! Anyone else love it? I'm talking mainly about the first movie (wasn't mad about the sequel and the third one should never have been made!). Loved Bastian, Artax the horse and my favourite was Falkor the luck dragon!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

I loved that movie, was one of the first movies I saw in the cinema when I was about 5 years of age. I was crying when Artax sank in the swamp of dispair.

I can actually remember after that movie about a year later on I was walking down the road and I started yelling Falkor at the top of my lungs, convinced that he was going to fly down and take me away to see the boy hero who was helping Bastion along the way

Does anybody out there remember the boy hero's name???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by littleninja
    I can actually remember after that movie about a year later on I was walking down the road and I started yelling Falkor at the top of my lungs, convinced that he was going to fly down and take me away to see the boy hero who was helping Bastion along the way
    o_Ó

/me backs out of the room slowly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Originally posted by tman
    o_Ó

/me backs out of the room slowly

same, WEIRDO!!! + the never ending story ended ha:rolleyes:

I shall re-iterate for you lads I was seven years old when I was doing that!!!

:ninja:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Does anybody out there remember the boy hero's name???
    Atreyu (played by Noah Hathaway).
    Bastian was played by Jonathan Brandis in the sequel, the NeverEnding Story II: The Next Chapter (alas Brandis' story ended with his unfortunate suicide last year :( ).
    Bastian then morphed again for The NeverEnding Story III: The Return into Jason James Richter.
    However, despite some poor sequels, it hasn't spoilt the memories for me. I think I actually thought Atreyu was hot when I saw him first, and I know I fancied Bastian II (as played by Brandis) so, if nothing else, I got some of my first movie crushes when I saw these as a kid...

• Advertisement

That's the one, have to admit I thought that he looked very girlie though!! :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Loved that movie ... I think I developed my first real crush whilst watching that movie:

empress_final.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I was bidding for the first movie on Ebay a while ago and lost by a measly 20p!!! (Stupid page not updating fast enough). I loved Bastian cos I was the exact same as a child, always reading, daydreaming in class and forever drawing unicorns and other fantasy creatures in my copy!!! I used to watch the bit where Falkore saves Atreyu from the swamp over and over again. If I ever get a dog I'll be naming it Falkore. I actually stumbled across a Boxer breeder's website with a dragon logo in the corner, and they use Falkore as the dogs' prefix!!! (the prefix is the doggie equivalent to a surname). Yeah it's very sad about Jonathan Brandis hanging himself, he was only young as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think that this film was filmed im Munich and as far as I know that they are tours of the studio.

Is this film out on DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Its available on Region 1 dvd but I dont know about Region 2. You can get 1 - 3 from DeepDiscount DVD
    The NeverEnding Story ($9.00)
    The NeverEnding Story 2 ($5.99)
    The NeverEnding Story 3 ($9.36)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

its on channel 4 now aswell! thats freaky, i was reading this earlier and then it comes on...

ooooo spooky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I have it on dvd.
    Yeah tis region 1 only afaik.

Yeah, I rented it out and also the sequel during the week only for it to be on on Sunday. I'd bidded for it on Ebay and found out today I didn't win-well pleased cos I taped it yesterday!

I see they've remastered it, I noticed one of the scenes was different.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have agree with Barry Normans' review
    "one of the few films this year to live up to it's name"

too grey - dodgy puppetry

the dark crystal was much better. €0.02

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Watched it also on Sunday. Unfortunately watched it with a friend and we ended up ripping the piss out of it (whilst perfectly sober might I add). In particular Falkor became extremely dodgy when we realised it was this old dragon rescuing a young boy. Said boy - Atreyu - wakes up sleeping beside this sleazy old dragon/man. Falkor keeps winking/leering at him and says, in a suggestive voice to Atreyu - "I like children." Then he makes Atreyu rub his ear and Falkor makes these ungodly sounds of pleasure.... It's very dodgy really if you look at in a particular way...

Hmmmm, it's amazing how non-threatening that is when you're a kid though isn't it

Originally posted by ixoy
    Watched it also on Sunday. Unfortunately watched it with a friend and we ended up ripping the piss out of it (whilst perfectly sober might I add). In particular Falkor became extremely dodgy when we realised it was this old dragon rescuing a young boy. Said boy - Atreyu - wakes up sleeping beside this sleazy old dragon/man. Falkor keeps winking/leering at him and says, in a suggestive voice to Atreyu - "I like children." Then he makes Atreyu rub his ear and Falkor makes these ungodly sounds of pleasure.... It's very dodgy really if you look at in a particular way...

Ah come on, it was meant to be entirely innocent!!!
    You just have a filthy mind!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lyonsy

Homer: All you can eat--hah!
    Hutz: Mr. Simpson, this is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since my suit against the film, “The Never-Ending Story.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i remenber that film as well.

the cliff that ate rocks and the big dog and the horse in the mud and the darkness chasing him.

Ahh the memories.

Anybody remenber a film called nobody child. I remenber it had the whole of the house in tears when they wacthed it. i wasnt old enough to bother watching it.

I just remenber my family and the neighbours who moved to england since all watching it in our house and they were all in tears after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

The only thing sadder than Artax sinking was when Sephiroth slayed Aries in Final Fantasy 7 :(

:ninja: me is really sad!

Man, I used to love that movie!

• Advertisement

By the way, I found out yesterday that while they were filming the scene where Artax drowns in the swamp, the horse they were using actually did sink and drown, which REALLY pissed me off!
    You'd think they would've put a harness on him so they could lift him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

:mad: :mad: :mad: :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 frank_pivo_4

Man i remeber it.When i was young.God i miss my childhood.Oh and u must play on b net eh? using /me lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilo moo

The Neverending Story was one of my very favourite movies growing up (Dark Crystal & Labyrinth being the others). I saw it again a couple of weeks ago, then bought the DVD (for a mere 16CHF I might add), THEN saw it again on channel four. I bought the DVD so that my little sisters can also enjoy this wonderful movie.

After seeing it again now that I'm a little more grown up, I realise just how bad the ending really is! Still love it, don't get me wrong, but my god it's so cheesy! (Sequels were bad but I thought the second Bastian was cute!)

Anyone ever read the book by Michael Ende? So, so good. The ending is amazing and loads of great characters are left out of the movie. There are some great moments in it, I think any fan of the movie would really enjoy it. And you actually find out what name Bastian gives the Childlike Empress. If anyone has read it I'd love to hear your opinions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

U caaalled? ;o) .......see, i turned up after all, better late than never eeh? LOL ;)

haha, my fave movie of all time, been usin it as a username on various forum boards for years now ;0)

B

Originally posted by Falkorre
    U caaalled? ;o) .......see, i turned up after all

YAY you came!!!
    Originally posted by Falkorre
    better late than never eeh? LOL
    Yeah TEN YEARS too late :mad:

/me dances about the place all excited and stuff

:ninja:

Originally posted by lilo moo
    And you actually find out what name Bastian gives the Childlike Empress.

He names her Moon Child, after his mother, right?

Here's a picture!
    (felt the thread needed another one!!!).
    :)

I'm actually planning on making my very own Falkor! (I used to be always making things, thought I'd start again, and I've never made a stuffed toy before).
    I'm just trying to figure out how I'll dye the fur the right white-pink colour without turning him bright magenta.

nworld1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilo moo

Originally posted by neev
    He names her Moon Child, after his mother, right?

Yeah he names her Moon Child but I didn't think you could hear it in the movie (due to storm outside). Have you read the book? Good look with making Falkor! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I used to watch that alone as a child. That wolf-thing scared the bejaysus outta me... I think I used to think he was real... And now here I am with a wolf tattoo O_o I should watch it again to see my reaction now, lol

You know, I'm looking back on that whole Falkor/Atreyu thing and I'm reminded of that Rainbow video... Namely because it was made in a more innocent time and all the stuff takes on a new meaning. I saw The Labyrinth, good movie. Especially the worm bit :D

I still need to see The Dark Crystal though...

Advertisement