Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Luas tomfoolery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Well the link does have head16_US in the URL

who created this swf file?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't know who created it, but it is the official Luas site.
    It seems to have given the same attention to detail as the rest of the Luas project.
    The project manager should be shot with balls of his own shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

seems to be legit.
    Check out www.luas.ie and bottom of home page it links to that flash file

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Le serveur français est très sexy aussi.

http://www.luas.ie/ftp/head16_US/

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

ok lads we have critised the luas long enough. fair enough it has it faults and it has had many cock ups but it is here now and i think its about time we started to look positively on it and if we are unhappy with it just try to influnence future routes now instead of moaning about them when they are up and running.
    like it or not its up and running so lets try for once in ireland to look positively on something we do and give our backing to this space age tram system

• Advertisement

Spanner has a point, we should get behind the Luas.

All together now P U S H

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Apparently I'm in Beechwood :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Le serveur français est très sexy aussi.

http://www.luas.ie/ftp/head16_US/

adam

For those of you you cant find the pdf of the red line map on this page it is the link titled "map rouge" :)

and looking at the page again, the PDF is fairly small, roughly 24 Ko !

btw, anyone see the maiden voyage of the trams today? One passed the office at 2:30, looked like something out of india, they were all packed into the tram! Guess it will be like travelling on the central line in london during rush hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Hagar

All together now P U S H

ROFL :D

Ah I suppose it's only a matter of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Badbonez

All together now P U S H

ROFL!

Ok, being an outsider, just what is the Laus? I looked at the website and it appears to be a light rail system. What's the problem (other than traffic tie ups whilst being constructed)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I was on it today, had to get from churchtown to harcourt street so I decided to use free luas over 1.20 bus.
    Biggest mistake ever.
    I was there at 2:45 (granted I was 15 minutes early) got off at Harcourt St at 3:45. Nice.

It was packed with little 12 year old knackers pushing their way on and off. The first three that passed me were all full (last one didnt even stop at the stop)
    It was full of people taking trips all the way in and out.
    It also had at least 20 luas people on it, filling it up.

Dreadful public relations exercise.

Hopefully it will sort itself out in weeks to come. Dont like the idea of the pensionners travelling free at all times, I see lots of oldies using it between 8-9am.

Other than my rant, the trip from dundrum to charlemont was quite fast.

One final point, in a tram idea like this which will be very full at certain periods, why we have single poles to hold onto in the middle of the floor is beyond me. Was in paris recently and the "cling-to-poles" branch into 3 vertical poles about a foot from the roof and then back to a single pole a foot from the floor. It means that 3 times as many people can hold the one pole (at a comfortable height )with out holding hands.
    Just a suggestion.

According to the 6:01 news tonight on RTE the first tram journey went smoothly but the secound journey had to be abandoned when "an object became jammed in a door"

Those bloody passengers, the cheek of them them bringing "objects" onto the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bets on every carriage smelling of piss by the end of the week? Or am I too late already?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Nice MSPaint logo in the top left corner there. Pheer the art skillz.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Originally posted by Sarky
    Bets on every carriage smelling of piss by the end of the week? Or am I too late already?
    Piss would be one thing, the problem will be when you've to dodge the syringes and ****e everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

What cracks me up is the map with the 15 minute walk indicated between St Stephens Green and Abbey St

"Er... we forgot to build that bit - you have to get out and walk" Truly an integrated transport system if you count shoe leather! ROFLMAO :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I always thought we should have been the 51st state but thats rediculous! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

Map%20booklet652.jpg

those 2 routes look rubbish

what they should have done with all the wasted luas money is sorted out our roads, to increse capacity, and included a few more quality bus coridors

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by redoxan
    Dreadful public relations exercise.
    On the other hand, at least we know that there are enough people to use it :)

You hardly expected it to be pristine and empty though did you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by seamus
    On the other hand, at least we know that there are enough people to use it :)

You hardly expected it to be pristine and empty though did you? :)
    I want to see how many fines are handed out in the first month (and possibly how many inspectors are hospitalised). That for me will be the test of whether it will work successfully in Dublin or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by l3rian

those 2 routes look rubbish

what they should have done with all the wasted luas money is sorted out our roads, to increse capacity, and included a few more quality bus coridors

for €750,000,000 we really should have at least the beginning of an underground system

Cities were trams run successfully usualy have straight wide streets unlike Dublin.

The Luas really should have gone underground after Charlemount on the Green Line and after Heuston on the Red Line.

The interface for ticket purchase as shown on www.luas.ie is very poor.
    Whn asked to select you start point the list comes up in alphabetical order rather than something reprensentative of the actual route. The same for the end point. Surely it would be possible to show a diagram of the route and click on the two locations. Wouldn't the cost be the same in either direction. Then select ticket type single,return,adult,child etc via a radio button type display.

These guys thrive on complexity. It justifies their existance. Well no it doesn't but they think it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

its crap alright haggar, and the price is crap too, €1.80 for a one way into town from sandyford
    for €750,000,000 we really should have at least the beginning of an underground system

thats right pork99, even Pyongyang has a decent metro, just compare the north korean dictatorship's nice public transport system to our rubbish map above

pyongyang-coreedunord.gif

Whn asked to select you start point the list comes up in alphabetical order rather than something reprensentative of the actual route. The same for the end point. Surely it would be possible to show a diagram of the route and click on the two locations. Wouldn't the cost be the same in either direction. Then select ticket type single,return,adult,child etc via a radio button type display.
    Where is it? Or are you talking about the fare calculator?

Yes its the fare calculator.
    Whether it's for calculating the fare or actual purchase the functionality should be of a usable standard.

BTW Luas had its first crash today in Harcourt St.
    Minor enough but according to Aertel "300 people had to be evacuated from the Luas"

"Evacuated", it was only a fender bender, not the London Blitz.

I wonder how many compo claims will be lodged?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I saw a muppet drive her car up Harcourt Street from Stephen's Green today, turned every head on the street.

10 seconds later a guy half parks in a yellow box junction, when I suggested (OK, heckled from the far side of the street ;)) he move out of the way of the on-coming tram, I was told "maybe you should too".

No wonder there was an accident today.

Re: fares

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So dodgy phraseology by reporters is Luas' fault too?

Yes its the fare calculator.
    Whether it's for calculating the fare or actual purchase the functionality should be of a usable standard.
    Um. It's a tiny demonstration bit of the website. It's perfectly functional for what it does - give you a fare estimate. It's hardly important to have a multimedia, super-user-friendly interface for a toy fare calculator, that doesn't actually do anything.
    BTW Luas had its first crash today in Harcourt St.
    Minor enough but according to Aertel "300 people had to be evacuated from the Luas"

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Evacuate
    Seems like an accurate word. It's a safety procedure to remove everyone from the tram in the event of any accident.

What is it with people who just complain about everything. no matter how small, and no matter whosoever slightly related to the LUAS.

As Victor says, I'm not surprised there's been an accident already. The amount of people treating it like a bus lane - stopping in the yellow boxes, stopping over the white line, taxis parking on the rails. From the pictures Sky News had, it would seem the moron in question turned into Harcourt St from Charlotte way, in the right-hand lane, and overshot the corner, as so many people do there, colliding with the tram that happened to be there at that preceise instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    Um. It's a tiny demonstration bit of the website. It's perfectly functional for what it does - give you a fare estimate. It's hardly important to have a multimedia, super-user-friendly interface for a toy fare calculator, that doesn't actually do anything.
    Then why does it reload every time you add an individual piece of information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Originally posted by l3rian
    ...even Pyongyang has a decent metro, just compare the north korean dictatorship's nice public transport system to our rubbish map above

pyongyang-coreedunord.gif

Yes it would be great to be able to take the pyongyang metro, The Chollima line is the best! so so communist :) I like the trick with having a places called "triumph" and "triumph returns".
    Imagine how confusing that would get!

God that metro is actually crazy just look at the stop names! Signal fire ? Rehabilitation? and paradise (ironic its is in pyongyang after all) :)?

Luas green line is slightly useful, good for sandyford ind est. but that bridge was OTT. I also think there is going to be a feeder bus from ucd to the luas.

The red line is going to be far far more ghetto! Such tasteful places as fatima > rialto > suir road > golden bridge > drimnagh > blackhorse. Oh yeah, it also ends up in tallaght. I think its handy the way their are two hospitals on the line! Handy for when ya's gets tha stabbin's.

But it is handy for gettin from connoly to heuston, because in order to go on train from galway to waterford you got to go to dublin first then go to the different station and get a second train. It's also good logistics for drug dealing, Think about it!

Advertisement