Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas.... But the big question is.......

Options
  • 30-06-2004 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Will Sandyford Industrial Estate be turned into Dublin's largest surface car park for commuters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I never understood this obsession with travelling huge distances everyday to get to work, I have never lived more than a 45 min walk from where I worked.

Yet you have so many people in this country who complain that they have to go to work really far away but refuse to get a job closer to home or move closer to work.

"lets drive to sandyford, park, then take the LUAS to stephens green, sure it takes up 4 hours of my day, that I could better spend improving my life, but I like it here in county Meath why should I move?"

Because you complain about the traffic every bloody day when you get home, its bad for your health and you never see your family.

This is componded by the fact that they could probably get a job where they live but it pays less, well why not take into account the money you will save on fuel, the fact that you might be able to work more hours if you dont have to spend it driving.

//rant

Let them park there, let them can themselves in like sardines in the suburbs of the city, allow the the luxury of being packed into the luas 150 at a time, let them smell the stale coffe and overdone colone of their fellow commuters. They will fight like ravaged dogs for the few seats on board then, arrive at work refeshed from the epic tale that was their journey, give them something to complain about at the water cooler, cause god knows, if they get into work or whever they are going with no hassle then they might complain about something important.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

but many people cant afford to live in dublin,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by tba
    I never understood this obsession with travelling huge distances everyday to get to work, I have never lived more than a 45 min walk from where I worked.

Well you're very lucky then aren't you?

How do you propose to house all the people that work in the city center in the city center?

What do they do if there doesn't happen to be anywhere to work where they live?

Do you actually think most people would choose to live like this if they had a choice?

You may live in a little personal utopia but some people who aren't so lucky to be in the same situation as you might extrapolate, from your post, that you are a bit of a wanker to have an attitude like that.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

Originally posted by tba

Yet you have so many people in this country who complain that they have to go to work really far away but refuse to get a job closer to home or move closer to work.

"lets drive to sandyford, park, then take the LUAS to stephens green, sure it takes up 4 hours of my day, that I could better spend improving my life, but I like it here in county Meath why should I move?"

Perhaps you had not noticed, but property near the city center is several times more expensive than property in the suburbs. Do you really think I (or the vast majority of other people) would have bought a house in the suburbs if I could have bought one that was 45mins walk away from work.

People don't do it for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Crossley

Getting back to the original topic. From today's Independent :-
    In Sandyford parking within the industrial estate is possible but likely to become restricted once the service begins. Parking is also available on parts of Leopardstown Road, in the South County Business Park and in nearby estates such as Woodford, Silver Pines and The Chase. In Stillorgan parking is available on the Kilmacud Road and in the local housing estate Stillorgan Heath.

Now if I lived in this area I would not be a happy camper that a newspaper was encouraging commuters to use residential areas for all-day parking. Given the Irish obsession with parking on footpaths and green verges (even if the roadway is as wide as O'Connell St. they seem to feel the need to do this) I can just imagine the chaos that will ensue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Steve Conway

I agree - I feel its quite irresponsible for a newspaper to be encouraging parking in such a manner. I wonder how the author would feel if someone put a high frequency QBC beside their house, and everyone was parking in their road to use it?

It's also not very accurate - parking on Kilmacud Road would leave you at least 15 minutes walk from the station, and elsewhere in the same article they imply that there is a large amount of parking available near Windy Arbour, whereas in fact there are narrow residential roads, parking on which causes congestion, unless you want to park on the small open area beside the station and block access for pedestrians?

This kind of thing will inexorably lead to the expansion of residents permits and pay and display in the affected areas, so it won't be free for long.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The Irish TImes carred a similar guide to parking in the area. Thought it might not please a lot of their readers living in the area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Crossley

I didn't see the original IT article but I see they carry a retraction in today's edition :-

"..... some of the roads were listed in error. They would either, because of their width, be quite inappropriate for Luas parking or they are private roads which would not be available for public parking."

Looks like some lazy journalists have been transcribing someone's press releases without checking the copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

The real issue is this...

dublin urgently needs to begin construction on a city wide Metro. Bertie has absolutely no vision and says it will cost too much. So too will all the conjestion.

Vote for Metro !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Originally posted by MrPudding
    You may live in a little personal utopia but some people who aren't so lucky to be in the same situation as you might extrapolate, from your post, that you are a bit of a wanker to have an attitude like that.

Luck had nothing to do with it, and I apologise if my post raised similar comments to the one above,(not that it is justufied). I saw my parents live in the same situation as I am lambasting, and I drove myself to avoid the same senario, It wasnt easy but then again I assume neither is driving in and out of work 4 hours a day.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that goes without saying, anyone who denies that would be the real wanker.

edit/as for the metro, fair enough it is a good idea, however I think that the addition of the transport ring around the city centre is more important, the obsession with traffic links entering the city centre is ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Government's decentralisation plan the alternative to the metro and traffic congestion. Once all these public servants are sent out to the sticks there'll be no need for a metro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

No the Government's decentralisation plan is a cynical attempt to buy the next election.

Apart from the lousy politics behind it, it will free large amounts of office space in the centre of town. This presumably will be taken by the private sector, so there still will be a need for mass transport to the city centre.

Anyway the city and it's greater urban area is projected to reach a population of 2 million by 2040 so a vastly improved public transport network is needed regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

The only bad thing about the luas is that its not integrated with the rest of the transport system. One should be able to use dublin bus weekly tickets on the luas imo.And if it takes the govenment 10 years to complete 2 luas lines id hate to see how long the metro system will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    The only bad thing about the luas is that its not integrated with the rest of the transport system. One should be able to use dublin bus weekly tickets on the luas imo.And if it takes the govenment 10 years to complete 2 luas lines id hate to see how long the metro system will take.

Bus, Bus/Rail and Bus/Luas tickets:

Daily

Weekly

Monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by John R
    Bus, Bus/Rail and Bus/Luas tickets:

Daily

Weekly

Monthly

Now, lets just hope for a Bus / Rail / Luas ticket...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I feel its quite irresponsible for a newspaper to be encouraging parking in such a manner.

I concur.

Regarding the expansion of LUAS now that it is FINALLY HERE (YIPEE) !!The governemt cant shy away from the task in hand and has to press ahead with the Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by tba
    Yet you have so many people in this country who complain that they have to go to work really far away but refuse to get a job closer to home or move closer to work..

You know what? They're not just doing it to annoy YOU! I have to take a 40 min train journey from Drogheda to the IFSC every day, and I don't really mind it. Living in Drogheda i'm paying less than half the rent i'd pay in Dublin for a huge apartment with ready installed sky tv and broadband, keycard access and a huge roof garden! Tell me where you'd get that in Dublin city centre, 800 euro a month for a three bedroom apartment with one ensuite!

The fact is most people are priced out of the market in Dublin and HAVE to live a journey away. For instance many people I work with here in I.T live in Blanchardstown and Tallaght, sure there's not very many unix and windows server admin jobs out round there compared with in the city centre.

Personally i'd never commute more than an hour each way. I used to get the bus from Drogheda>Dublin>Blanchardstown for about 6 months and it nearly killed me. There are loads of people who commute from Dundalk and Monaghan and Carlow everyday - now that *is* a bit much. At that stage you're just living to work instead of working to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MrPudding, cop on, attack the post, not the poster.
    Originally posted by MrPudding
    How do you propose to house all the people that work in the city center in the city center?
    Average adult can walk at 5kmh, in 45 minutes thats 3.75km - thats a circle more than 7.5km in diameter. That can hold an awful lot of people.

Advertisement