Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Disabled group hails new Luas system

Options
  • 29-06-2004 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/06/29/story154777.html
    Disabled group hails new Luas system
    29/06/2004 - 18:28:32

Luas will be the best public transport system disabled people have ever had, the National Disability Authority said today.

The trams, which begin running on the Sandyford to St Stephen’s Green line tomorrow, will be able to fit up to 30 more wheelchairs than a standard bus and will also contain aids for the blind and the hard of hearing.

The National Disability Authority said Luas engineers had consulted widely with disabled people to produce a very accessible system.

“We’ve had walk through audits with people with guide dogs and with wheelchairs,” said accessibility officer Sean Murphy “I think that is the key. Otherwise, no matter how good an engineer or architect you are, it’s very difficult to understand what might be a barrier.”

All of the Luas trams have low floors and there is a minimal gap between the floor and the station platform.

The designers used tactile paving at the bottom of ramps and on platforms to let blind people know they were close to the edge, and provided audio, as well as visual travel information at each stop.

Mr Murphy, who is also a member of the Public Transport Accessibility Committee, said the increased space on Luas trams, which can accommodate up to 320 people would be a significant benefit for wheelchair users.

“A lot of people with disabilities never use public transport because it can be very embarrassing to be in a wheelchair on an overcrowded bus. If a couple in wheelchairs want to take a bus to the cinema, there’s usually only room for one of them. But there shouldn’t be any of those problems with Luas,” he said.

Workmen were busy putting the finishing touches to the stations tonight while Luas drivers brought the trams on a series of test runs. The trams are capable of speeds of up to 70 miles per hour and will arrive at the stations every 10 minutes.

Thousands of people will be able to travel on the Luas for free from 3pm until 8pm tomorrow.

Charging for the 22 minute journey from Sandyford in St Stephen’s Green will begin next week, after people have got used to the system.

Inspectors will carry out blitzes of trams and issue on the spot fines of 45 euro to anyone found without a ticket.

Elderly people with a bus pass will also be entitled to free travel on the Luas at all times.

The second Luas line, from Tallaght to Connolly Station, will open next month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

The Irish Times is really doing itself proud lately. Where did they get the idea that Luas can do 70 miles an hour? That should be km, surely?

On a side note, the Luas site talks about lifts in elevated and cutting stations. This weekend, I could see no lift at Charlemont. Do they exist yet, or are they Coming Soon(tm)?

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Quote from Article posted by Victor

"fit up to 30 more wheelchairs than a standard bus and will also contain aids for the blind and the hard of hearing"

On TV today the Minister cautioned people to watch and listen for approaching trams and to be extra careful for the first few weeks.

Now at the risk of being banned it looks like the extra 30 wheelchair spaces might be needed for the deaf and blind before too long.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by mackerski
    The Irish Times is really doing itself proud lately.

It's nice to know the IT was sold to Thomas Crosbie Holdings - now all you have to do is tell both of them.

(BTW the story is not from the Irish Times)

(BTW the story is not from the Irish Times)

Sure enough - I was thrown by the fact that they too use the phrase "Breaking news". And also by the fact that they too misreported the top speed. I wonder who started that particular Chinese whisper...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Isn't LUAS supposed to mean "speed"
    70Kph is about 43.5mph which is what a large % of drivers do on a wide straight road in 30 zone's.

Heard on the news that 1 in 6 LUAS will be ticket inspected. Anyway for a €2.50 journey the €45 on the spot fine is the same as 18 journies - not good odds.

• Advertisement

Isn't LUAS supposed to mean "speed"

Speed is, of course, relative. On a trip from Dublin to Cork, I'd be a bit bummed to have to stick to 70km/h. In a car, from Sandyford to Stephen's Green, I'd be amazed to average even 30km/h.

I took a spin on Luas last night - it was very nice, and my own impression is that, even if you could coax 70m.p.h. out of those trams, you

a) probably wouldn't enjoy it
    b) could stay at that speed for only the 10 seconds or so it took to reach the next stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Speed is, of course, relative. On a trip from Dublin to Cork, I'd be a bit bummed to have to stick to 70km/h. In a car, from Sandyford to Stephen's Green, I'd be amazed to average even 30km/h.

I took a spin on Luas last night - it was very nice, and my own impression is that, even if you could coax 70m.p.h. out of those trams, you

a) probably wouldn't enjoy it
    b) could stay at that speed for only the 10 seconds or so it took to reach the next stop.
    Well those trams look similar to the newer ones we have here in Linz and 70kmh is far from uncomfortable. Ok if you're not holding on to something you might just topple over while it's accelerating or braking (Just like on a bus really) but otherwise it's fine.

70kmh is far from uncomfortable

I know - but 70 miles per hour would be a very different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I know - but 70 miles per hour would be a very different matter.
    Well you did use both metrics in your post and originally the point was made about km so I assumed that's what you meant.

"
    Well you did use both metrics in your post

What I said: "even if you could coax 70m.p.h. out of those trams"...

It's going to be great fun when the speed limits switch over, oder?

Dermot

• Advertisement
Advertisement