Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground Control 2

Options
  • 28-06-2004 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

i never really like ground control that much and didnt have my hopes set high for this game.

but OM...F....G is it gorgeous, graphically this game is far superior to any RTS i have seen this year, the textures on every unit are superb at any view point (you have full 3d view) the scenery is smashing, ruined cities and rolling hills, one beach map i played reminded me of farcry.

gameplay wise im starting to warm up to it, theres no resource collection, you have to kill enemy units yto gain 'aquisition points' faster, then you 'aquire' your units form your command, if you have a LZ captured a dropship will come in and shoot enemy units on its way in and out.

every unit has a dual purpose, GI have rifles and you can set them into heavy defense mode where they swap their rifles for anti tank missiles but have to stay still while they fire. the tank i have access to swaps out its seige gun for twin gatling cannons for ripping it up.

the game is very tactical, sometimes you have no access to new units and judicious use of your repair vehicles is called for (ai will target these first as they are dead easy to kill)

im almost finished the human campaign now, and tbh im blown away (a generals killer in my book)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Great game alright. Not quite as strategy focused as the first though. Having the ability to call in new units kills that a little imo. Still the AP system is nicely balanced. Play well you get rewarded... play ****e and you get ****e.

Definately worth buying. If only to see siege soldiers open up on full auto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Aye i think the best feature is the coop mode playing with 3 people through the single player missions,more games should have this feature because it not just mindless killing like a free for all which can get boring.:)

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I had a good play at the demo, seemed great fun on-line, but the single player seemed some how lacking (prolly just because you only got one mission tho), I dont like the 2 fire mode's as much as the old 'special weapon' system, I liked the limited special attack you used to have, now even basic troops can go anti tank mode instead of the limited morter they used to have, which I dont really like much, as tanks dont seem nearly as powerful anti infantry as they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I just got it today and I'm very impressed. I was a bit disappointed at first with the ablity to bring in new units, but it's well balanced and there's no "resource whoring" possibilities with the AP. The music is nice and atmosferic. The unit's seem pretty cool too, and the new ability to select individual units certainely comes in handy. So far it's not looking even nearly as hard as the prequel, good in a way i suppose but i was expecting more missions that require great planning and tactics. Can't wait to get into the multi player.

On the matter of visuals my geforce 2 doesn't really make it look all that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Actually it does get quite tricky in some of the later levels. The computer switches tactics often meaning you have to adapt all the time. Can be hard to keep up with at times. Makes levels challenging but not impossible given a bit of time and patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

normal gi's are easily taken out by artillery and toxin, not to mention liberators and seige soldiers on minigun mode SPAM

plus the gi's rockets ONLY work against tanks so if you get swarmed by infantry from a building where you cant see em or something your gi's tend to die very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by Pugsley
    I had a good play at the demo, seemed great fun on-line, but the single player seemed some how lacking (prolly just because you only got one mission tho), I dont like the 2 fire mode's as much as the old 'special weapon' system, I liked the limited special attack you used to have, now even basic troops can go anti tank mode instead of the limited morter they used to have, which I dont really like much, as tanks dont seem nearly as powerful anti infantry as they used to be.

TBH the demo doesn't really do it justice, the only assualt vechiles in the demo are crap scouts, and aswell the demo is quite buggy with alot of stuff not working right.....based on the recommendations here i bought it, must say i'm well happy with it....has a real feel of starcraft for some reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    has a real feel of starcraft for some reason....
    Thats a good thing :)
    Im going to grab it on Monday probably, dependng on how my fianance's stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Yeah i'd agree, good thing, if only i could find my old sc cd i'd be play'n dat too prolly...... and there was a weekend when i didn't see anyone from about 1pm on friday till last nite or leave the apt. but i do have it finished now...kewl game, tho the viron's are quite lacking imo when it comes to destroying infantry, only half decent thing is an mortar troops....

still looking forward to playing it online, whenever esat decide to connect my bb(going to have taken 2 months by the time they recon i'll be connected now, can't quite blame eircom for that...)

there's also a bug when loading from saves the odd time, it throughs you into god mode.....strange bug but anyway...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Just picked this up yesterday and I'm quite impressed. The 2nd mission with the beach landings was great. The gfx are fantastic, I particularly liked the rings around the planet above and the water reflection effects. Far more impressed by this than I was by Generals. Hope it gets better as I get more into it. Music is cool as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement