Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conditioning

Options
  • 27-06-2004 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭

Hello..

Wondering does anyone have any conditioning tips? I've a mate in Muay Thai who conditioned his legs and they are pretty much like steel, trust me i've kicked him, I flinch he doesnt :)

This is not for egotistical gain, but for something I want myself, and I also know it cant be done in weeks or months and so Im in it for the long haul.

Any suggestions would be great

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

Mear

whos your mate that does thai? If you want conditioned why not take up thai... I remember on sherdog one time seeing that thai uses up the most energy of any martial art for training.

If not thai a good circuits class and some triathlon type training should have you in good shape but defo try the thai

paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

ahh.. Im not talking about that type of conditioning. Im talking about 'Iron Body' type conditioning. As in, Muay Thai for example have extremely strong shins, due to the fact that they block with them, and/or sometimes hit with them. They have strong shins because of sparring but also because of conditioning methods, such as hitting with a bamboo stick, try to deaden nerves etc.

Comments a welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Mear
    This is not for egotistical gain, but for something I want myself

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. What's the point in conditioning your legs like this unless you're a thai boxer? Do you realize this can do permanent damage to you? AFAIK this kind of bone-conditioning works by creating micro-fractures in the bone, which are filled with calciates, making them stronger in the short-term, but there's evidence to suggest that this kind of conditioning weakens the bone in the long-term. A lot of martial arts have similar conditioning of hands, wrists, arms, etc. What you end up with is hideous bony hands, wrists, arms, etc along with nerve damage. What's the point of this unless fighing is your profession? I used to do some hand and wrist conditioning for karate some years ago, and after seeing the state of a mate's wrists who continued it for a number of years, I'm glad I stopped doing it.

hmmmmmms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

thais dont not create mini fractures etc etc although i know what you are talking about.

We do not roll coke bottle up and down out legs either in an attempt to numb out pain, nor do we tap them with meatal rods.

we hit loads of bag and pads and spar and then by the time we come to fight your shin nerves are numbed so we dont feel as much. 1 week after the fight the nerves re back to what they were.

I also know o old karate style people that are crippled, but to this day have to meet a thai that cant shake your hand cos of arthritis etc.

paddy

Mear, whos your mate?

• Advertisement

His name is Gareth, but he trained over in England.
    Where do u train, is it that Straight blast gym or something in tallaght?
    And waht do u do ?

Advertisement