Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to take off Glue with sander?

Options
  • 26-06-2004 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I took up carpet and the glue that was used to keep the carpet down is proving to be a real pain. Its all along the edges and was nearly impossible to shift so i got white spirits on it which helped me move most of it but left a glue residue which im trying to get off with a scraper.

It is still quite damp at the moment so prob going to leave it till tomorrowat this stage and then give it another go with the sander

Any ideas or advice (the rest of the floor is looking great BTW)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd use a metal scaper, not the sander.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

tried that i get part of it off, but found an old iron so i left it on the glue for 20/30 secs and most of it comes off with the scraper no hassle

Maybe put a clean rag or paper between the two :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

How to take off Glue with sander? perserverance i guess but maybe try cellulose thinners or as its otherwise know hammerite thinners....it might shift it bit quicker than normal white spirits but wear gloves...thing that happens when ur sanding the glue with sander is that the paper of sander heats up alot and sorta melts the glue and it sticks no end to paper,clogging it up.....but u know that already

Just run something by you folks? i have 75% of glue off all that is left is rough grain and little clumps of dried glue........would a electric planer do the jump a bit better than a sander?

• Advertisement

It's an idea. How about just using carpet? ;)

hate the stuff!! :D

Sorry bout this again....but would i be right in saying that a Belt Sander would be my best options at this stage as someone mentioned to me that a planer is def the wrong thing to use.....

Any of there items catch your eye? http://www.samhire.ie/Apps/Products/SubCatProducts.asp?SubCategory=2706

Any ideas welcome, need to get the room in shape pronto

right folks,

after weeks of putting it on the long finger im going to tackle the glue problem head on....

I rang Sam hire and asked them what they would do and they put me onto a cleaning company in Galway who recommended a solvent called CitraPro (i think thats how you spell it). You apply this to floor with a mop wait few mins and then mop up again using a brush to take the glue off at the same time

Any one ever heard of this and can they recommend it?

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

well fair play to you for sticking at it....ive never heard of the glue remover but i hope u get it sorted once and for all....hey maybe do a google on the glue remover and see what it says.....

goodluck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

b&q have a power tool sale on, you can get a belt sander for under 30 quid, be careful with it though, you can eat through the floor with these thing, leaving big divits.

Advertisement