Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MehPong 4 (Finally Created A Version That WORKS)

Options
  • 23-06-2004 3:38pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A grand total of ONE person showed interest in my project (Which has been ongoing for ****ing yonks) but I've finally worked on a version that works well and am happy to keep working on (Unlike the old versions that I posted about before and dumped with extreme prejudice)

For those who haven't a damn clue about what I'm ranting on about, MehPong is a simple little project I've been working on which, in short, can be easily described as a simple retro revamp of Breakout... Although it is quite a lot better than that...

Basically, making MehPong has been keeping me sane over the last few weeks, and although some people might laugh, I'm quite happy to reveal it to the Boards community and, once I find some suitable upload space (I'll need at LEAST 18megs) will see if any of you guys like it.

(This thread is probably suited more to Game Editing, but I'll be looking for playtesters and people capable of decent constructive criticism in regards to the game itself, rather than the creation of it)

Until I can get the full version uploaded somewhere, I'll chuck you some pictures of the current version, and ask if anyone would be interested in wasting their time downloading a 'BreakOut' game in order to playtest it...

1639MehPong_-_Picture_1.jpg

1639MehPong_-_Picture_3.jpg

1639MehPong_-_Picture_5.jpg

1639MehPong_-_Picture_6.jpg

1639MehPong_-_Picture_7.jpg

1639MehPong_-_Picture_4.jpg

1639MehPong_-_Picture_2.jpg

If amp happens to see these, he might remember the ancient version I demanded he playtest and, ontop of that, will probably wince at the sight of these.

MehPong = Breakout where you can customise the statistics and abilities (In a somewhat limited fashion at the moment) of the Bat & Ball, then select whichever level you desire to take on. Stats are kept in check and, when specific stat targets are met, you'll be allowed to select bonuses such as secret levels, alternate power up / special attacks and Bat / Ball attributes and some other shinanigins like that.

Blah, enough.
    Hope someone finds some interest in it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

very nice , can i try it :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

will be interested in trying this when you upload it somewhere

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Oh anyone can try it of course...
    It's just a matter of me finding some upload space and getting an actual connection that's stopping me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

looks good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

at last!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Will this be ported over onto the Atari Jaguar? At very least, I want I want a reference to it :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

When I said retro, I really did mean it :)
    Of course it looks a little timid at the moment, but thats because I used a package made in 1996 to create it, and the graphics they've supplied are for, well, let's just say 'Games that aren't exactly meant to GO anywhere'...

I had to make the majority of graphics myself, and thats one of my moderate strengths, but at least I myself learned a lot from making the game.

I'll be adding quite a lot MORE onto the game before uploading it.
    I've already made 15 levels, but I'm running low on backgrounds and themes.
    I'll be adding 'Time Attack' Modes, 'VS Modes' (Against human and computer players) and whatever else I can think of, and they'll only feature as 'bonus' levels, to give you something to actually PLAY for :)

Last night I added a ranking system to the statistics page, but am atruggling to find a decent mathmatical equation that utilises the rank system fairly. It's not often I take a game to heart so much, and actually make an effort to improve it once the template of the system is made, so I guess this is the version that will either shatter my faith in MehPong completely and refrain me from ever attempting to make games with this package again, or bolster my attempts and, if it comes to the crunch, keep trying to upgrade it until my fingers fall off or my brain melts (Which ever comes first).

If anyone has any idea's or suggestions to make such a timid game that little bit more appealing to you, please let me know. I'm open to all kinds of idea's.

And cheers to those who think it looks good :)
    Believe me, some of the levels, however limited they look, are actually quite nice. Lots of weather effects and alternating scenery etc etc

I'm quite proud of this stupid game :)

If I can get a half decent 2 PLAYER version working, then I'll opt to make an multiplayer online version, for anyone who has any remote interest.

Been reading a site and wasn't aware of some of the updates and patches for the program, and it WAS mentioned that online play was possible...

Oh yes I can see myself going head to head against some other person with a bat, fruitlessly hitting some ball so that it breaks some blocks... Yes, Indeed... Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hey ropedrink it worked for tetrinet :P

yeah looks cool, as soon as you get it up and running i'll download it and test it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

yea, what they said - the screenshots look class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

Cool! That should kill a bit of time once you upload it to somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I want this game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Looks to be a fairly good diversion.Hate to niggle but shouldnt "Rocket Barriage" be rocket barrage?Also are you using "3-d games studio" to make that-I have the forerunner to that program-"Klik and Play"-you werent joking about the graphics they provide!Still looks class-well done!

Cheers again for the support.
    Klik And Create, and I think the one you mentioned, are all pretty much versions of, or at least extremely similar, to GamesFactory (Which is what I'm using). The graphics supplied are absolutely naff to be honest, hence I had to make some of my own.

Sorry for dragging this up again, but I've added quite a lot more and could use some added feedback.

I've added new 'Time Attack Levels' which are only accessable once you've aquired specific stats, and am also adding a 'Random Computer Challenge' where, once certain stats are required, there is a moderate chance that the computer will attempt to take you on in a VERSUS mode. Just think of the infamous 'Here Comes A New Challenger' from street fighter, and you've got what I'm on about.

Also, I've upgraded the majority of backgrounds with my own latest artistic creations, and also implemented a ranking system which rates you on how you're doing. AND, I've added the use of INI files to actually save said stats and configurations, so each time you play, you don't have to start from scratch. It's coming along very nicely.

More Pics for you.

1639MehPong_-_Picture_8.jpg
    1639MehPong_-_Picture_9.jpg
    1639MehPong_-_Picture_10.jpg

I keep forgetting to mention.
    To grip the old retro feel, and largely because I don't have much fitting music, I'm stuck with using the majority of the GamesFactory MIDI files. Whilst some are actually quite alright, I'm running VERY low on options... Already, I've been restricted to using ones from games like FF7 (Not used them yet, but If I'm despretate then I will seeing as they're the only half decent ones I could find at the moment) so I'm looking for, if anyone knows where, a few sites that offer up decent MIDI files...

Or even if people could send them to me, if they have any...

I really need them, so big thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

http://myt610.net/ringtones.php has a load of polyphonic ringtones for download - all midi files. You might find something there to suit.

Oh yeah, Gamezville on sky 1 have a free game feature where they look at free games developed on the web. Yours looks class and when you get it finished maybe you would like to send a link to sarah@gamezville.tv (i think thats the address - check the site to be sure) for some free exposure.

Looks good anyway.

[edit]changed email address

just post the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Things are in motion micro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

What's the minimum specs ? Will it work on my 386 20mhz Win 3.11 PC ?

Sarcasm aside, good job man, looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I'll test it no probs! all day every day in work! haah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Does be looking good! :)
    If you still need space let me know, no problem in letting you host it on my bands site and adding a suitable subdomain.
    When the hell can we play it?! :mad: :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Andy, I'll host it for you.

Sending PM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

John I was allready talking to andy today and offered space on frink so hahahahaahah I pwn j00 little b1tch im y0re pimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I want havok physics you lazy layabout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

eagerly awaiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

rope, I can host a mirror as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

As can I. Rest assured Ropeh, we got your back :)

i'm beginning to think that this is being developed by valve.........

even ID software have released a new game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭R_Tribesman

I can do a mirror if you like. Looks like your screenshots aint workin anymore :/

Advertisement