Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Head unit hard drive / CD-MP3

Options
  • 23-06-2004 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any hard drive based mp3 head units, which have the actual hard drive, based in the head unit? I want to avoid having anything in my boot to be honest.

If there is no such thing, can people reccommend CD/MP3 head units please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

Pioneer have a P90HDD, Mp3 and HDD about 10GB all in one but they guts of 1400 last time I looked.

I have a CD/MP3 Player Pioneer DEH 7400 MP Great head unit, I am selling at the moment as I am getting a new car and a Screen for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

This is probably not what you're thinking of, but I've tried using a Creative Labs Zen player (can hold 10,000 songs, and costs around E400 at Compustore) with a special CD jack for a cassette player (Argos E15) and the whole thing works a treat. Means a bit of fiddling around just to use, but the CD jack is a cost effective option. Good luck, J

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Maplins in town have a special offer on a Shark (any good?) single CD MP3 head unit for only €115. If I didn't have my standard stereo and glovebox mounted changer I would have got one there and then.

For hard drive based car stereos I believe Dension are the best. Normally a few of them on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I use an Ipod with either cassette adapter or FM transmiter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

FM transmiter is cool little thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I do have a Creative Zen, but I heard that the FM Transmitters lose a lot of quality; is that right?

Where would I get one anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're illegal to use in Ireland due to stupid broadcasting laws so you'd have to import.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

As for CD MP3 players, I have last years version of this....

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=KDCW4527G

Cant speak of it highly enough. It plays CD-RW's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Think this is what your looking for
    http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/Dension_hard_disk-based_head_units.html

Friend of mine has one, and he absolutly loves it. I was looking at buying one, but for the money i went with a cd/mp3 head unit with a lovely motorised front / lcd on it. Depends on what your uses will be really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Citizen Jake
    This is probably not what you're thinking of, but I've tried using a Creative Labs Zen player (can hold 10,000 songs, and costs around E400 at Compustore) with a special CD jack for a cassette player (Argos E15) and the whole thing works a treat.

Never, ever buy from CompuStore unless it's an absolute emergency. You'll find it much cheaper online, just have a look around the european/UK sites.

• Advertisement

That is what I'm looking for sheep, but unfortunately my 4 speakers are 50 watts and that headunit says it only pumps out 4x35.

They're illegal to use in Ireland due to stupid broadcasting laws so you'd have to import.

why illegal. by law you can use fm transmitters up to 50OmW Output Power.

This is also max power of 2 way radios sold e.g. argos and gives you around up to 2mile coverage.

hardly FM devices for mp3 playerhave that much power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Get new speakers :)

Or for less money get a sony CDX-M8800, fantasic piece of kit, obviously a cd wont hold as mp3s but i find 160 tunes will cover me, and if i need more burning a cd with mp3s is cheap and handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

gmodified: because they transmit in the frequency ranges used by commercial, licenced FM radio stations, I guess.

i suppose ,2way radio will be more as mobile communication devices where this little transmitter falls into broadcasting categories classed as "FM Sound"

what a great system

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

Originally posted by Praetorian
    I do have a Creative Zen, but I heard that the FM Transmitters lose a lot of quality; is that right?

Where would I get one anyway?

http://www.arkon.com/sf.html

i'm thinking of buying one of them

http://www.rmxdirect.co.uk/en-gb/dept_2.html

plus into your cigaret lighter which is handy

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Wrestlemania
    I have a CD/MP3 Player Pioneer DEH 7400 MP Great head unit, I am selling at the moment as I am getting a new car and a Screen for it.

Ah I've the DEH 7500MP. It is indeed a fantastic head unit. Can't fault it in any way. I'll dread the day it breaks down, as it'll probably cost an arm and a leg to repair! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Sony do a headunit with a built in hard-drive. Its called MEX-1HD. Have a look here, and go to page 8. Pricey at stg£835 though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I've a Kenwood M907 MP3 CD Head Unit, and a 10 CD MP3 Changer in the boot. Roughly 100 or so albums. Nobody could need any more music in a car tbh :)

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=KDCM907

Thanks for all the responses. The head units with hard drives integrated are still too expensive. So I'm going to pick up a nice MP3 cd player at the weekend.

The guy that is doing my speakers is recommending 4x50 watt Clarions. Are they okay? He says they are the biggest I can get without modifying the speaker holders on my Golf.

http://www.6thplanet.com/menu/m_carmp3_mscar.html

I used these guys A1 for my Mstation they are great at delievery and you require a Headunit with an Aux In and it is perfect.

try to look for the ssi america website for Neo Juke Boxes the yank version for the full tech spec and further apps.

Advertisement