Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renting motor bikes in Ireland!

Options
  • 22-06-2004 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

Tried Googling on this but it always comes back with one or two very-old/dead pages or sites on motorbike rental in Ireland. The general impession is that its not easy to rent a bike in Ireland, and I would imagine its quite expensive too.

Any one here know any place in Dublin that rents motorbikes (with or without kit) for a weekend or more? I would love to rent one for the coming long weekend!

Thanks a million,

Pos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not possible to rent a motorbike in the Republic of Ireland, period. You can rent from places up the North, but that a bit ridiculous. The only people who rent bikes in any capacity are ISM, who rent bikes for driving tests.

A person could probably make quite a successful business, and steal a complete monopoly with enough capital behind them...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Seamus: A person could probably make quite a successful business, and steal a complete monopoly with enough capital behind them

I think the real inhibitor here is unfortunately that taboo word: insurance..

I don't think either of the insurance companies would be prepared to offer temporary insurance to punters seeking to hire a bike for a week or two...

It's hard enough just to get them to quote you for your own bike.
    (well, easy to get a quote, difficult to get the money to pay for it!)..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    I don't think either of the insurance companies would be prepared to offer temporary insurance to punters seeking to hire a bike for a week or two...

It's hard enough just to get them to quote you for your own bike.
    (well, easy to get a quote, difficult to get the money to pay for it!)..
    That's what I was thinking. You'd probably also need one of the major car renters behind you too. I assume they go straight to the big underwriters, and that their insurance requirements (legally) are a little different to private users, so they can go out of the country. You'd need to be talking some big money deals though to get to that point :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I dunno, the insurance co's might be a bit receptive to it if you were very restrictive.

Say things like, only rent to people over 27, only people with a full licence for at least 5 years, only people who can prove they have ridden or been insured on a bike in the last 24 months. And then, only rent bikes like tourers that won't get people in much trouble.. a few Deauville's and Pan Euro's.

From the postings that come in on Motorcycle-ireland every so often, there seems to be a market for middle aged US tourists who want to rent bikes for a few days to tour around the west..

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Originally posted by spockety

From the postings that come in on Motorcycle-ireland every so often, there seems to be a market for middle aged US tourists who want to rent bikes for a few days to tour around the west..

J.

Yup, totally agree with that.

I think its just the same old 'play-safe' attitude. Once someone takes the risk and starts making a profit, others will follow. But questions is who will make the first move?

• Advertisement
Advertisement