Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Few Short Lines...

Options
  • 22-06-2004 12:41pm
    Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭

I'm nothing as good as Beatrix, Shewhomustbe or seantí, but I would like some sort of feedback on some of my poems, I'm not particularily sensitive about it; I know I'm better at regular prose than at poetry :) .

So,

Differentiation

'Revolution!' I scream
    From the top of my life
    Deprivation - it teems
    On the edge of a knife

'Anarchy!' they chant
    Self-framed in black
    Derision - less scant
    For those smoking crack

'Change!' he wails
    The political scum
    Death - the snail
    crushed under his thumb

'Hallelujah!' she croaks
    Crippled with time
    Blindness - provoked
    By antifreeze wine.
    Die, you!

Die, you!,
    Take that knife,
    Let it slide,
    And cut your life,

Feel this heat,
    This burning steel,
    It turns your meat,
    Oh yes - it's real!

Taste that sweet
    Metallic tinge,
    **** you and your
    Twisted grins,

What is this?
    Surprise? Pain?
    You had it coming -
    David Blaine.
    Net Send Packet Failure

Lines of text and code
    Exert their hoarse, Morse force
    To twine and slither their course
    Down to my abode

These bits and bytes and beeps
    Divulge the disfunct discord,
    (Cynically seducing sleep)
    To wind and whirl and whistle
    Behind my bloodshot brain.

This thing that twists my thoughts
    And scatters my somnambulance
    Is irritating
    Idiots I irk online,
    The ruck of ruffling ruffians
    Who wane and wither my will,
    Who rout my reason
    Who derail sanity.

;)

[Edit: didn't paste the last line of the first poem :eek: ]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shallow-Vision

i like .. especially the 2nd one

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I immidiatley had a picture in my head of a dark jazz club and a young "beatnik" type shouting poetry on stage at open-mike night dressed in all black with a beret on...

You have that angry beatnik stylee about ya, I can dig it ;)
    /me hits bongo as applause

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Lol BEAT, thanks :) ,
    /me clicks fingers to bass rumble...

and thanks Shallow-Vision, that's the least weird of what I consider to be the "funny" ones ;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Beatrix

I really like Die, you! It's so clever and well put together! I love the sweet, vicious, twisted rage.... and I hate David Blaine too! The stupid phoney lol

xx Beatrix xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 TheProvost

To begin – a minor editorial thought

'Hallelujah!' she croaks
    Crippled with time
    Blindness - provoked
    By antifreeze wine.

Might scan better if written:

'Hallelujah!' she croaks
    Crippled with time
    Blindness - provided
    By antifreeze wine.

The three-syllable beat flows quite a bit better, in my opinion. You sacrifice the double rhyme, but I suspect it is an excessive restriction (is this more of an expression experiment or a skill test?) and its removal or reworking throughout the poem my really bring it to life.

Also, would you care to develop some of the symbolism in these verses, especially the first three? Why do you use ‘Deprivation’ in the first stanza? If I’ve interpreted it correctly, that doesn’t seem the most appropriate word… ‘Feeling’ or ‘Sensation’ might have been more obvious (perhaps too much so; the first stanza could easily descend into “Down, not across” territory)

I really like the ‘Self-framed in black’ line, very cool. But what do you mean by ‘Derision - less scant / For those smoking crack’? I’m especially puzzled by the phrase, ‘less scant’. Surely, if anything, it should be ‘more scant’…

Finally, why do you use the word ‘scum’ in the third paragraph? And what does the snail represent?

Anyway, cool work duder, I trust you’ll keep it up.

And now, to bed *Fnoof*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Actually I prefer "Blindness - Provoked".

The "oked" sound feels better with the croaked preceding it.

I think from purely a critical point of view that Differentiation is the best of the three. I guess it just feels better without too much deep analysis. That said, oh how I laughed at the words "David Blaine" :D

PS - All excellent though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 TheProvost

Originally posted by Paladin
    Actually I prefer "Blindness - Provoked".

The "oked" sound feels better with the croaked preceding it.

I think from purely a critical point of view that Differentiation is the best of the three. I guess it just feels better without too much deep analysis. That said, oh how I laughed at the words "David Blaine" :D

PS - All excellent though!

Looking over it again, I'd have to agree. Provided is a little to soft, and the harsh 'v' and 'k' of 'provoked is definitely superior (even though the resulting interpretations are somewhat bizarre). Also, my very concern (syllable-beats) is actually a point in provoked's favour, as its use creates a slight jarring sensation, heightening the verse's potency (or whatever - I should never be allowed write critical analysis at midnight, or mid-afternoon... or ever)

Advertisement