Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ever had your car lifted?

Options
  • 22-06-2004 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Yesterday I was stopped by a cop at a checkpoint and was threatened with having my car taken away from me to be inspected for modifications. Now, this was on top of being singled out on saturday from a line of cars to be done for speeding (cop passed out everyone else to do me, everyone behind me and in front of me was doing the same speed). So, when this other cop threatened to lift my car I didn't really believe he could do that and nearly told him to f-off. Luckily, I didn't, cos I was talking to a friend who is a cop afterwards and he told me they are perfectly entitled to take my car at any time and without any warning and bring it off to have it inspected by a cop who is qualified to do this. If your car is found to have anything out of the ordinary they will ring your insurance company, and if they void your insurance the cop can then do you for no insurance. Now, this is the first I have ever heard of this action and have never heard anybody talking about getting this done to them. I know a lot of young lads are buying 1.6/1.8/2.0 litre cars and insuring them as a 1.4 so maybe he was under the impression I was one of these. I'm not, my car is a 1.9tdi 110bhp and it is insured as such.

Anyone here ever had this done? And if so, what was the outcome?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by Cerberus
    If your car is found to have anything out of the ordinary they will ring your insurance company, and if they void your insurance the cop can then do you for no insurance.

Sounds like crap to me. Even if a cop could have your insurance voided after an inspection, you would still have been covered at the time you were pulled over.

So I dunno how they could do you for no insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    Sounds like crap to me. Even if a cop could have your insurance voided after an inspection, you would still have been covered at the time you were pulled over.

So I dunno how they could do you for no insurance...
    You're not covered though. If the car on your policy is different to the one you're driving, your policy is already void, i.e. you're not insured. So, you are driving without insurance.

Cerberus, that sounds weird. Although you can expect a little more hassle for having a boy-racer or modified car, Gardai are usually pretty good at sussing out who's a muppet and who's not. Maybe you were pissed off at him for pulling you over, and were a bit lippy, or had an attitude, even if you didn't think so?

I think it's reasonable that cops should be allowed to take the vehicle and inspect it (if they asked them to present it at a station within 10 days for inspection, scumbags would just remove the mods and present it on day 10). Maybe if you carried your cert around, you could show them that it is insured as a souped-up machine, and they'll be happy enough.

The amount of people driving around on incorrect insurance, never mind fully uninsured, is crazy. Mate of mine lives in Dublin and drives a Bros 400, insured in Carlow as a Vespa 125 :(
    He'll be dead or in jail before long (and don't bother with the "shop him in" lecture lads).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

yeah insuring your car as something it's not is pretty dumb. All these idiots think they're still insured even though they lied on their application

"by signing this you agree that all statements given my your are true and correct"

Well if they aren't, you're not insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Never heard of a cop being able to lift a car just like that before, i know a few different cops that i must ask this weekend to see what the story is?

It must be a pretty mean looking car, post up any pics you have! :D

I knew a lad at college last year that had a mitsubishi lancer and an evo 2, he done the lancer up to look just like the evo and insured the lancer then drove the evo...its not big, its not cool and its not smart if your caught!

I know that if your car is lifted at the moment for something like, no insurance or not bringing it into the south if it gets as far as the customs theres a standard €1500 fine now to get it back along with paying whatever it takes to rightify the matter!

Farlz

On a side note seamus, 3 of my mates got caught on a 250 and two 600's a few weeks back with no tax or insurance and they had a few pints in them as well and only got €120 fine each after court....the country is ridiculous

last summer a lad i know in a rally 106 gti and another lad in a 00 civic v-tech were racing and passed out the cops (by accident!) and were clocked doing 118mph going through a 40mph zone....all they got was €200 fine and a slap on the wrists

i'm going now cuz im getting more pissed off thinking about this!

Farlz

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Farls
    On a side note seamus, 3 of my mates got caught on a 250 and two 600's a few weeks back with no tax or insurance and they had a few pints in them as well and only got €120 fine each after court....the country is ridiculous
    Seriously? WTF? Surely that's an instant ban and some serious fines for the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Yesterday I was stopped by a cop at a checkpoint and was threatened with having my car taken away from me to be inspected for modifications. Now, this was on top of being singled out on saturday from a line of cars to be done for speeding (cop passed out everyone else to do me, everyone behind me and in front of me was doing the same speed). So, when this other cop threatened to lift my car I didn't really believe he could do that and nearly told him to f-off. Luckily, I didn't, cos I was talking to a friend who is a cop afterwards and he told me they are perfectly entitled to take my car at any time and without any warning and bring it off to have it inspected by a cop who is qualified to do this. If your car is found to have anything out of the ordinary they will ring your insurance company, and if they void your insurance the cop can then do you for no insurance. Now, this is the first I have ever heard of this action and have never heard anybody talking about getting this done to them. I know a lot of young lads are buying 1.6/1.8/2.0 litre cars and insuring them as a 1.4 so maybe he was under the impression I was one of these. I'm not, my car is a 1.9tdi 110bhp and it is insured as such.

Anyone here ever had this done? And if so, what was the outcome?

What kind of a car is it exactly and what have you done to it cosmetically?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Just a golf with a bit of kit on it and fancy plates.

It's the white. Gardai are drawn to white cars, like moths to flames :)

(I'm not a fan of white, but that would be a nice machine in black :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Time Man

Wow, I was smashed into by a scumbag refugee last year with no insurance. Two weeks later I spotted the pr1ck in town in another car. When he parked I pulled in and called the cops, they arrived and I explained the situation. They said there was nothing they could do about him and just left. What a bunch of lazy hypocrites

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gobblor

I'd give you hassle if I was a copper. Boyracers are always up to mischief. Muckin' around with their 8 mates squashed into the back seat, wearing caps, revving their engines for no reason, etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Nice Golf, looks like it gonna take off.

The rozzers are always going to go for wideboys in cars with kit. Its thought in Garda Road School 101. Its a nice easy target. My mate bought a new Astra two years ago and went through a red tinted orange light in Donaghmede. A copper stopped him and my mate gave him a bit of lip.

Garda:"I notice you don't have any road tax sir?"

Mate:"Well I did only collect it new yesterday officer, look I even have the paperwork"

Garda:"I'm afraid that won't do young man"

The copper orders a tow wagon, my mate is down 150 quid.

It's the white. Gardai are drawn to white cars, like moths to flames

True..true...but I think a lot of the time they just want to look at it. Cops like cars as well :) I have been pulled over 9 times since I got it and that was just two months ago :) Only one of those times was I actually doing anything wrong - the aforementioned speeding.
    The rest of the time was just to check my tax and insurance and have a look at it.
    Most cops are sound and are just doing there jobs. They don't get any pleasure out of doing ya. The one that did me for speeding was a guy with a serious chip on his shoulder. He went mental when I accused him of targeting my car specifically because of the way it looked. That's probably why he did me for my number plates :) And the guy that threatened to take the car off me yesterday is just on a permanent power trip. You just have to silently let him insult you and degrade you and then carry on wth your business.

I'd give you hassle if I was a copper. Boyracers are always up to mischief. Muckin' around with their 8 mates squashed into the back seat, wearing caps, revving their engines for no reason, etc.

I don't own a cap....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Time Man

I drive a modded car and I own about 16 or 17 caps

sweet car cerberus....as said before i too would prefer it in black, but sweet as a nut all the same.

Its true what you say about some cops just wanting a look at the motor, i know a few lads that got that treatment. and then you have the cops on the powertrip some "boyracers" give them good reason but in general at the moment young lads in cars seem to of calmed down a right bit.

Theres always young blood coming through tho!

Those guys on the bikes seamus were even in the local paper in the courts section ridiculous like, they don't "know" any cops either...just the way the thing went i guess...

Farlz

Advertisement