Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric moped and general moped stuff.

Options
  • 21-06-2004 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying an electric moped for purely city driving. I've never owned a moped (or driven one before) but have a full drivers licence for the last three years and have had no accidents.

The moped I'm thinking of getting is the EVT 168 which will cost about 2500 euros new and has stats like:

Km per charge: 66km
    Max speed: 45kmph
    Time to charge: 4-6hrs
    Cost to charge: Max 30 cent.

So for city driving it's more or less exactly what I want, speed isn't important as I'm not a speed freak and either way in Dublin I'd be lucky to get up to 45kmph!

Here's what the bike looks like: linky

So here are my questions:

1) Can I drive a moped using just my full (car) drivers licence? I've looked at the licence and it doesn't mention anything in the A category, only B and E+. I presume from this that I can't just hop on a moped but have to pass a test for one?

2) If I have to pass a test, what's the waiting list like (anything like cars, 12mths?). If the bike is treated as a 50CC then do I have a specific 50cc test?

3) Any car drivers who have gone from driving cars to mopeds/motorbikes have any advice on safety etc? What type of gear should I get for a 50CC bike? Type of helmet etc.

Any other tips/advice on buying an electric moped?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by chabsey
    1) Can I drive a moped using just my full (car) drivers licence? I've looked at the licence and it doesn't mention anything in the A category, only B and E+. I presume from this that I can't just hop on a moped but have to pass a test for one?

Yes, you can drive up to 50CC moped if you have a Full category B (car) licence. It doesn't say it on the licence but it does on the little white insert that comes with them (or "should" come with them! :D )

I dunno what E+ is - maybe you mean EB? (Car + Trailer). It doesn't matter anyway 'cos you're fine with a Full B.

Regards,
    Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Get yourself a decent helmet & jacket/pants anyway. Really makes me wonder when I see guy's buying helmets just because theyre cheap. Work out how much your head is worth and then go to your local bike shop and take a look at what theyve got. A good synthetic jacket will do for a moped, just to keep the cold & wet out once the winter comes. Wetgear (or pants specifically cos you'll already have a waterproof jacket) are a must. Having to walk around with a pair of soaked balls all winter is no joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

Excellent....I had noticed that the white insert mentioned something about me being suitable for vehicles in category M as well. However, there's no explanation of what category M was!

However, it sounds good if I'm able to just drive one. Will want to get some lessons though, just on driver safety etc.

Anyone know how much lessons like that cost? I'd only want maybe 2-3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

Originally posted by rymus
    Get yourself a decent helmet & jacket/pants anyway. Really makes me wonder when I see guy's buying helmets just because theyre cheap. Work out how much your head is worth and then go to your local bike shop and take a look at what theyve got. A good synthetic jacket will do for a moped, just to keep the cold & wet out once the winter comes. Wetgear (or pants specifically cos you'll already have a waterproof jacket) are a must. Having to walk around with a pair of soaked balls all winter is no joke!

Not going to skimp on safety gear, not worth it. I suppose a decent helmet and wetgear/jacket will all add up, what am I looking at...200 euros? Or will the helmet alone cost that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It is quite a large change to move from 4 wheels to 2 wheels..
    I'd consider spending some money on a couple of hours of lessons, which will at the very least teach you basic safety, and give you a level of confidence..

From an equipment pov, you should get at least the following:
    1) A Decent helmet.. A crash at 45kph can do you permanent/fatal damage. Get a decent lid.
    2) Gloves - For warmth, weather protection, and most important: safety..
    3) Jacket, trousers, boots/shoes that will protect you in the event of an accident
    4) Some high visibility gear
    5) A strong lock with a strong chain (always lock your bike to something unmoveable. Mopeds are very light and very easy to steal.
    6) Some wet over-gear, e.g. waterproofs to go over your normal clothing.

I think the sticky at the top of this list has some more essentials you should buy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

tbh, I'd pay at least that for a helmet... but then I have a great passion for keeping my head in one piece and all the gooey bits on the inside. A jacket will probably cost the same, if not slightly less than the helmet. I saw a dead nice Dianesse (sp?) jacket recently for around the €200 mark.

Advertisement