Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVI to DVD

Options
  • 21-06-2004 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have couple of .avi files ( 700 MB), I want them to covert it to DVD video. I have latest Nero buring software install ( full plugins). Could any one of you please guide me to convert it to DVD video.

What I did ?

1) New
    2) selected the file , right click on the file choose compilation
    3) burn the compilation
    4) it just adds the file to the disk and not to Video_ts

Any help in this regard would be appreciated

thanks a million,
    cheers,
    RHN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gobblor

You need a DVD authoring programme - like Adobe Encore DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭casso

Do a google on avi to mpeg, you'll find a good program there, one of the 1st ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

TMPGEnc DVD author and TMPGEnc plus 2.5 are two programs you could use. You will need to convert the avi file to mpg format first using this configuation, Super Video-CD PAL (MPEG-2 704x576 25fps CQ 65, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps) When you have created this file you will be able to turn it into a DVD with the authoring program. Some DVD players will play mpg files without you having to convert them to DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

http://www.mediostream.com/neodvd/free_trial.html
    Neo Dvd is very good there is a link to a 15 day trial above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Originally posted by Blindpew
    TMPGEnc DVD author and TMPGEnc plus 2.5 are two programs you could use. You will need to convert the avi file to mpg format first using this configuation, Super Video-CD PAL (MPEG-2 704x576 25fps CQ 65, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps) When you have created this file you will be able to turn it into a DVD with the authoring program. Some DVD players will play mpg files without you having to convert them to DVD.

Mostly right... you'll convert the AVI to DVD format using the PAL DVD specification. Don't bother using the Video CD one, that'll result in lesser quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

quote Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit

Mostly right... you'll convert the AVI to DVD format using the PAL DVD specification. Don't bother using the Video CD one, that'll result in lesser quality.

The reason I would use the super video setting is because it creates a smaller file. I would mainly use TMPGEnc for converting music video files. An example, an avi file starts off at 38.1mb, when converted to svcd it's 82.5mb but when the dvd setting is used it becomes 112mb. I can fit over 70 music videos on one disc with svcd but only around 50 with the dvd setting. As most music videos are not of great quality to start with and won't be enhanced by making them larger I go for the svcd setting.
    However if you are only putting one film on the disc I would use the dvd setting.
    If you just want to back up one of your own DVDs I would recommend DVD shrink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Look at http://www.doom9.org for good guides on this.

DVD2SVCD (http://www.dvd2dvd.org/) has a handy AVI2DVD mode too., but I never got it to work. I bought a standalone DivX player instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

In a nut shell you need to convert the Avi to Mpeg2 and the author and burn to DVD. Here's what I do...

1/ Split audio (to Wav) from the video source with Virtualdub

2/ Encode Avi to Mpeg2 with TMPGenc (TMPGenc is crap at encoding audio which is why split the 2 as above).

3/ Convert Wav to Ac3 with Besweet

4/ Author Ac3 and Mpeg 2 to DVd format (menu's etc) with TMPGenc DVD Author.

5/ Burn resultant VIDEO_TS folder to DVD with Nero.

Check out VCDhelp.com for guides and more info.

Advertisement