Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pug 106 xsi/gti probs

Options
  • 21-06-2004 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

Prob with my car, it wont start. Ok, its prob the starter, but that was replaced about 2 months ago. :dunno: Batt fine, just got it back from the garage on fri for a clutch replacement. Something up with the wiring. I think the garage flucked it up. It went in to get the indicators working, seat thightined up a bit and cluth replacement.

Came back with loose seat, clutch replaced, no indicators. " mechanic said .... I went messing around with the relays and checked all the fuses. But couldnt get em working. Not what i wanted to hear, to be honest i dont even think he checked em. Indiactors still flash when alarm goes off or door opening.

Just before leaving the garage to pay for clutch, and work not done. The car wouldnt turn off..... :confused: unless you pushed the brake. I informed him that this wasnt normal. He shrugged his shoulders and said it was prob from him messing with the relays. He then gave me a num for a car electrican to take care of the indicators.

Problem is i dont know where to go from here. If i put her into second, and give her a small push (right leg) i can get her going (temp solution). But i need to get this fixed asap. Is there a prob with the relays/ or starter/ Or is this a fob off.

And to top it off my induction kit went walkies..... it was there when it went in, not when i got it back. :ninja:

I dont even know why im posting this...just need to get it out .... kinda pissed off. :(

By the way its a 93 106 xsi imported in 96 from uk. Transplanted 106 gti 1600cc in 98/99. Basically its moddified to ****e thats why the garage prob made a monkey out of me.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

Co.Clare ?

he sounds like real cowboy. I was going to say that you could drop to my brother and he will give you hand with the car but we are based in Dublin.

anyway, what happens when you turn the key ? do you hear any clicking noises?

"Horses out the back sure... "

No, she's not ticking over. The connection isnt being made. The key is turning on the lights and all that....just not the car. So i got the idea of putting it into 2nd and push
    off with right leg. While left foot on clutch. (I live on a hill/slope) Thankfully. So push
    the accelerator after small movement. The car will start without the ignition like this.

Instead of the noise of the battery, there is a barely audible clicking noise coming from the fuse box underneath the dash on the left when the key is turned.
    Any ideas?

The car is driving fine once started no probs there, sounds diff without the induction kit... sounds healthier even.......

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

If some f**ker made an arse of my car like that I'd be paying a solicitor a visit.

• Advertisement

check cables going to starter motor , also check engine earth wires as they could be loose or missing after this clutch replacement :D

err .... wires wires ,,, cables to starter motor, ... Thats about as much as i know i suppose. If i could find it, id check em, or knew where to find it. I know where the box for the relays is, i opened this up last night and checked all wires... all looked ok
    all connecting ok, no wires loose. Where would the starter/engine earth wires be located ?

I've plenty of time after work to go work on the car. Im patient, and i'll stick with it
    to the end. Step by step instructions lads.

Or..

Would i be as well off to bring it to a car electrican?

:dunno:

follow big (+) wire from your battery , this will go directly to starter motor.

once you have located the starter, check the (+) wire connection and look for additional wire which will be smaller in diameter. Both will be connected to starter in around the same area

"Always the optimistic!"

Will do.... Cheers Gmodified. Im off at 5 so ill let ya know in the morn if this works.
    Thanx again

Well, i checked the wires. The engine looks to be earthed correctly. The starter, i
    didnt get a chance to follow properly looked like it was going under the engine block.
    The bonnet closed while i was in following the wire and i hurt my back a bit... that aside.... ill prob have to bring it to car electrics guy.

Went for a good auld drive aswell last night she's running alright so thats half the battle i suppose. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help anyway lads.... :)

P.S if ye see a Blue pug 106..93 D, lowered to ****e in the Galway, ENNIS, prob not Limerick say hello!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Auslander

hey Tuts
    does the car have a factory alarm fitted?
    they are notorious for problems

I had a few similar problems with a 106 cup car i built
    the master key/switch (front passenger valance) gives trouble
    with corroded contacts

Also check the accesories terminal block for good connections
    (Its located on a 5 inch pressed steel bar thats bolted to the passenger
    side front shock absorber tower) a piece of 10sq cable goes to it from
    battery +'ve. check all connections as this unit has to be moved from situ
    to change the clutch.

Keep me posted
    Paddy

Advertisement