Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Insurance Sex Discrimination Stays

Options
  • 20-06-2004 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

The suggestion that the EU should adopt legislation to make women drivers pay the same insurance premiums as men has been rejected by most member countries - at least for the moment.

It was Social Affairs Commissioner Anna Diamantopolou who put up the idea for a directive to ban gender-based underwriting, but it didn't appeal even to the UK Equal Opportunities Commission.

Speaking for Quoteline Direct, Paul O'Gorman said, "Where there is clear, historical statistical evidence, it should be able to be used as a factor in calculating risk and setting prices for insurance-based products."

But the contrary view hasn't been squashed altogether.

Taken from CarKeys .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Jesus, can you imagine the uproar if the women had to pay the same as the rest of us?!? We'd go deaf from all the non-stop whinging. That and the washing up would never get done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭BUMP!

Fuppin typical! If it were the other way round you would have womens groups everywhere causing uproar!

Historical statistical evidence my ass!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

typical !

equal rights and sexual discrimination has done a u turn...........

I'm going out to buy a few bra's and a lighter !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by BUMP!
    Fuppin typical! If it were the other way round you would have womens groups everywhere causing uproar!

How true ......so why dont we

How true ......so why dont we

its been done. Surveys, reports, political meetings but to no avail. Insurance companies are making too much money out of young male drivers and in turn passing beefy 'political donations' that the government turn a blind eye.

And you can't vote with your feet cause all insurance companies are at the same scam. As for an alternative to driving there is nothing, transport system in ireland is a joke............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hmm, interesting thought. How much would it cost the insurance companies if every male driver in the country were to pay their insurance a week late? I'm guessing that the insurance companies, like most other large companies make a fortune on credit balances in their accounts. Were we all to pay our insurance late they'd lose a few days interest on their accounts. Probably not a major impact but it's one way of signalling our disatisfaction.

That said, were we a nation with balls, were virtually every consumer in the country to cancel their insurance at the same time there'd be **** all that could be done about it and the Government would be forced to do something.

Unfortunately that'd never happen cos we Irish seem to like bending over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

If i state...

"Young male drivers cause most accidents therefore we will charge them more"

Pretty much everyone puts up with that.

Now replace Male in my sentence with any ethnic group and imagine the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

here here sleepy if that was done the garda could'nt arrest the whole country it would be great but unfortunately we don't have a space between our legs and hence women get lower insurance to compensate for what they dont have.

EQUAL RIGHTS = EQUAL DISRMINATION

Now replace Male in my sentence with any ethnic group and imagine the consequences.

couldn't be put any better!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

The problem is that there are groups like MIJAG but no body listens to younger peoples (i.e. under 25) complaints as :

a) we do not vote enough to make politicians listen
    b) older people dont care cos as long as we get ripped off they think it will keep their insurance down
    c) we are too lazy/stupid to ever get off our asses and do something - like drive up to Dublin on a Saturday, stop the cars in the middle of the street blocking all traffic, get out and refuse to move till something is done about the rip-off... (any takers??)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

What next? Should young people pay the same for life assurance as older people? Should men pay the same for haircuts as women? Where would it stop?

Why not - next time I spend over an hour getting my hair cut I will happily pay that little bit extra for the hairdressers time. Last I checked though, it only took 5 mins for a short back and sides, trim the top..... :cool:

What next? Should young people pay the same for life assurance as older people? Should men pay the same for haircuts as women? Where would it stop?

it would stop at car insurance, that's the issue ! DOH !!!!!!! :p

c) we are too lazy/stupid to ever get off our asses and do something - like drive up to Dublin on a Saturday, stop the cars in the middle of the street blocking all traffic, get out and refuse to move till something is done about the rip-off... (any takers??) [/B]

How come MIJAG haven't organised this yet?

because... who really cares if a few boy racers stop their cars in the middle of the street before being moved on by the fuzz? Cos lets face it... all young male drivers basically are boy racers as far as insurance companies are concerned.

I know what I'll do to lower my insurance! I'll wait until I'm in my 40's! Lets face it, nothing is ever going to happen to balance out the insurance injustice. Boo-hoo, nobody cares. Good old rip-off Ireland.

Anyone got any idea when all this much talked of European comeptition is planning to enter the market? I'm 23, in a stable job, have 5 years no-claims and still can't afford a car in this ****ed up country!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Why not - next time I spend over an hour getting my hair cut I will happily pay that little bit extra for the hairdressers time. Last I checked though, it only took 5 mins for a short back and sides, trim the top..... :cool:

There's a fine young wan in a hairdressers near me who likes to squash her boobs into mens faces (well, the side of their heads anyway) when cutting their hair.

They charge €10 for a short back and sides which takes about 5 minutes.

I pay it every time (after waiting in the looooooooooooong queue first)! :D:D:D

Originally posted by TommyK
    There's a fine young wan in a hairdressers near me who likes to squash her boobs into mens faces (well, the side of their heads anyway) when cutting their hair.
    I've got one of those aswell where I go.. worth every single cent :D

because... who really cares if a few boy racers stop their cars in the middle of the street before being moved on by the fuzz? Cos lets face it... all young male drivers basically are boy racers as far as insurance companies are concerned.

Well if everyone parked up in the middle of the street took the keys out and stood beside the cars then there isn't much they could do - put signs in the windows saying "I can no longer afford to drive" or something and see how long it takes to tow all the cars! You might laugh but choking up the major city a few times would definitely throw the cat among the pigeons as far as the politicians are concerned!!! (If the truckers can then why not anyone else???)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This is a double edged sword - women pay more for annuity pensions and older people pay more for health insurance.

Well if everyone parked up in the middle of the street took the keys out and stood beside the cars then there isn't much they could do - put signs in the windows saying "I can no longer afford to drive" or something and see how long it takes to tow all the cars! You might laugh but choking up the major city a few times would definitely throw the cat among the pigeons as far as the politicians are concerned!!! (If the truckers can then why not anyone else???)

Better yet would be to try the Farmer's antics out and run convoys driving at 20mph from every major city in the country to Dublin, disrupting traffic nationwide, heading all cars for Kildare Street and simply stopping them there.

Tue victor - not sure how you would work that one with health insurance...

How about if everyone pays the same - but you build up a no claims bonus discount for every year you stay away from hospital/doctors - that way if you ever need to use it then it will cost you an arm and a leg (literally!) to get insured the next year...

Actually a ridiculous system when you think about it isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Problem is, males -young and old- will always pay because they will not do without their car. If it were the other way around, women would consider alternative forms of transport - and insurance companies would lose out.

Reason being I dont know too many apprentices(nearly all male) who can survive longterm without a car as their workplace can move on a regular basis and there is no guarantee of being able to get lifts the whole time...

Advertisement