Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking the house

Options
  • 18-06-2004 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hmmm.. ok, I did post this before but for the life of me I cant find it now so if its posted 2 times I am sorry

Thing is that I am doing some rewiring to my house and seeing as there was already going to be a good bit of destruction I am going to network the house. Now I did a year of networking in college (going back just bumming off for a while) and they told us electricity cables cause signal degradation to networking cables and their networks but I assumed that it was on bit power lines and so on but please tell me if I am wrong so I can keep the electricity lines and network lines separate.

Now, I am seriously considering laying gigabit networking instead of megabit networking and here is where I think that I do have to separate the cables (working on the assumption that gigabit networking is a much more sensitive system) but by how much and so on (any guide lines out there, but taking into account that I will be showing this to builders not networkers). Also, although I am most likely to go for gigabit networking I would love to hear about pro’s and con’s and also other new, better and/or alternative tech.

Thanx to all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

CAT 5, CAT5e and CAT6 cable, (you should use 6), is foil covered, making it quite immune to EM fields generated by power cables. Although theoretically there could be some interference, it should be minimal. Keep them apart if you can, just to be safe, but don't loose sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you need to cross the network cables over a power cable at any stage, do it at a 90 degree angle, minimizes interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

nice one guys, so no probs esspecially with gigabit network system.

Hows the work exp steven?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

just make sure the cables you get are shielded twisted pair, not all are

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

I want to network a new build.

I will have wide cavities on external walls which will be pumped. I have been advised rather than chasing walls, to work from the attic, drop a 1" plastic pipe inside the cavity to each room, put a 90 degree bend on the end of each pipe and bring it out through a hole through the wall. Wire everyting back to the attic, and any future cables can be added easily. Anyone try this before?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do not dig up threads that are nearly a decade old. If you want to discuss your issue then start a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement