Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body Boarding

Options
  • 17-06-2004 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭

Probably the wrong place for this ( delete or move plz mods ) , I am thinking this because my version doesn't come near "extreme"

Anyone here do any body boarding and could give me any info on same ?

info like , type of boards and where in this country to buy same + price

Heres my sorry tale ,

I take the kids to the beach as often as possible because its better than having them out on the streets . They love the body boarding and the water in general , and I like going in with them , but I get bored fairly fast because its a quiet beach and the waves wouldn't be great most of the time ( Quilty in Co Clare ) . I overheard a guy saying "if you got a certain type of board it would be good fun even in small waves " in other words not sink underneath me . I bought a circle one board but it is not enough to hold me ( and I'm only 10 1/2 stone :O ) . I don't want it to do flips and spins ( or what ever they are called ) just take me as far as the wave goes and maybe be able to paddle it , even move from side to side ,, oooh I'm getting extreme now .

Anyways anyone up on this stuff that could spare a few minutes to post ?

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Drive down the road to Spanish Point and you'll get somewhat better waves than at Quilty, especially if you're a beginner. Head to Lahinch to get everything you need for bodyboarding - Lahinch Surf Shop on the prom, or the Green Room on the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks guys ,

Staying in quilty cause the kids are still quiet young and its a very safe beach , the waves are grand for them which is where the problem comes in , I get bored because of that , but heh its for the kids . A half decent board might eliviate that a bit . They are not ready for spanish point yet .

As for the Lahinch Surf Shop , they do know what they are talkin about but they also know the meaning of daylight robbery . Is the green room a new shop ? , a guy in Surf & Skate in Ennis said that they had a new shop in Lahinch , is that it ?

Thanks again

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Krusty

Howrya John,
    There are 2 new *surfshops* in lahinch.
    The Green Room is on the main St., just down from Ms. O'Briens Kitchen,
    beside the golf shop. The other one is up beside the church at the top end of the prom. Dunno exactly what it's called but it's a sister-shop of that Surf-Skate one in Ennis.

All of um r pricey enough....as is the norm in Lahinch n prolly
    every other surfish shop in the country.
    Although saying that I've found the Green Room in Lahinch to be the most resonable. Sounds chaps in there aswell will sort you out, or at least give
    you some advice and point u in the right direction.

Laterz,

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

A good bodyboard will cost you alright, especially the branded ones.

You could try Tubes in Cork, I think they have their own branded boards for considerably cheaper than the other brands.
    It should be enough for you to practice a few tricks on.

You're probably still talking €50-80 but you'll get a fairly reasonable board for that price.

You might be thinking along the lines of a €10-20 board from a petrol station but you're really taking a risk there, those things break *really* easily and are only really for riding small whitewater waves. It's fine for a few weeks in the summer but if you're getting into it you'll want something that you can trim and turn on.

I think Tubes are opening a shop in Limerick. Not sure when though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by Enygma
    You might be thinking along the lines of a €10-20 board from a petrol station but you're really taking a risk there, those things break *really* easily and are only really for riding small whitewater waves. It's fine for a few weeks in the summer but if you're getting into it you'll want something that you can trim and turn on.
    Plus most of them are too small to support anyone bigger than a teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks again guys , and yes I know about the cheapy ones , and wouldnt go near them again even for the kids , the young lads one cost 45 euro , my one two years ago cost 50 but I havew given that to my daughter , so I was expecting to pay between 50 and 80 .

John.

Advertisement