Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional, how long does it take

Options
  • 17-06-2004 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I'm doing the theory test next week, so I get a piece of paper to indicate that I passed.

I then go to my local tax office immediately with that piece of paper, eyesight report, 2x passport photos, completed application with credit card for fee.

How long until I receive my provisional licence, do I get it there and then, or by post, how long?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

They tell you 10-15 days. But it can take up to 3 weeks. I got mine 10 days later by post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Theoretically speaking you're OK once you're application has been checked at the tax office and you've been issued with a receipt. Unless that is, the Garda attitude to doing this has changed in the last few years.

The next thing on your list (apart from learning to driver properly) should be to figure out when you'll need/want to sit the test. The waiting list is long and you're best advised to try to estimate when to apply in order to get a suitable date. My first test was an 8.5 month wait (7.5 months + 4 weeks notice) fell in the middle of my college exams (I deferred) and my second was a 6 month wait and was the evening of my birthday. Thankfully, for my evening's sake, I passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Yeah forgot about that. You can get insured or take lessons the second you have that receipt :-)

Oh, and one other piece of advice for any one who passes the test. Treat that Cert of Competence as if it were the most valuable thing you own. A friend lost his and had to spend about two days tearing his house apart to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

hmmmm i believe it is supposed to be 7 working days (so does that 10 days include weekends ?). anyway, who cares!!

point is, as soon as you get it , get insured either yourself or as a named driver (you can still build up no-cliams as a named driver) and get lessons!!

--laoisfan

ps. i passed my driving test yesterday! yeah for me!!

• Advertisement

Congratulations laoisfan!

I definitely agree with laoisfan that good lessons are very important. Personally speaking, I had an excellent driving instructor who identified all the little flaws in my driving and enabled me to correct them in a very short space of time. The best advice is to do a course of lessons before you build up any bad habits such as coasting or poor observation.

After that, having plenty of road time makes you very relaxed sitting the test and allows you to concentrate on the important stuff.

fter that, having plenty of road time makes you very relaxed sitting the test and allows you to concentrate on the important stuff.

too true.

get lessons and irons out all the little bits.
    i was nervous yesterday (even though I have been driving for a long while, couple of year at least) but i just chilled out when i got in the car and did what the tester wanted.

seriously, ask around in your local area and get different opinions on who the good / bad instructors, might be wise initially to try one or two and make up your own mind.

best of luck!

--laoisfan

ps. come on laois (playing meath this sunday-football).

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Just one extra thing to note regarding the receipt for provisional licence: the receipt will allow you to takes lessons but will not do for an insurance company. They require your driving licence (full or provisional) that they take a photocopy of for their files.
    I took lessons with ISM using receipt after passing the theory test 2 hours earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

Went into the tax office on wednesday last week. License arrived in the post on Friday morning!

i was expecting to wait a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Does the tax office accept visa/mastercard in person?

• Advertisement

Does the tax office accept visa/mastercard in person?

I believe they do - In the tax office in Portlaoise, Laois they do, either cash or cc.
    Went into the tax office on wednesday last week. License arrived in the post on Friday morning!

Nice one - I passed my driving test on Wednesday, went straight to the tax office so fingers crossed it will be there when I get home later today. Got a photo copy of my old provisional and a receipt stating that I have applied for my full licence (still though, felt a bit nervous driving without actually my licence on me.)

--laoisfan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by fiacha

i was expecting to wait a few weeks.

Applied for a provisional in Nutgrove, Dublin a few weeks ago, it was posted out the next working day. I was expecting a few weeks wait also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

i renewed my provisional a few weeks back, dropped in my old one + form and cash, i had my new one the next day in teh post

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

One morning a while back in 2001 I had to renew my car tax and provisional, there was a slight air of panic on my part. But the good folks down at Nutgrove were able to hand it to in half an hour. Having a letter confirming a driving test that day helped speed up things.

Not the recomended way to spend the morning of the test - but I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

After I did my test, I went into the M.T.O. with all the revelant stuff and got my licemce back there and then.

It took about 30 seconds.

It was a very quiet day though - I think they post them out in most circumstances.

My brother got his in the post the next day too.

Tommy.

Advertisement