Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Liberty X pull out of gay gig after Coronation Street row

Options
  • 17-06-2004 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Pop band Liberty X have been forced to pull out of London Pride's Big Gay Out festival, after a row over comments made by a member threatened to overshadow their appearance.

The band were due to perform at the Finsbury Park concert on July 3rd, but today formally cancelled. They say that recent comments made by member Michelle Heaton, in which she seemed to criticise Coronation Street for its gay storyline, have been blown out of proportion and could lead to a "possible adverse reaction" from the crowd.

Heaton had been quoted in a celebrity magazine as criticising Coronation Street for showing a gay storyline, saying:

"I don't want to see a gay kiss on screen at 7pm. Showing this on teatime Corrie is taking things too far."

However, she claimed today that this was a misquote and that, although she wrote a reply to the comments the following week, the magazine in question chose not to publish her full response, a move that has "frustrated" both her and her bandmates.

"My only concern as we introduce this subject into early evening viewing is that it’s important not to go too far and become too graphic when youngsters could be watching - and that applies to heterosexual and homosexual portrayals by the way," she said in a full response.

"Sometimes shock tactics can grab headlines and get bigger viewing figures - but we shouldn’t give ammunition to small-minded bigots who will use any excuse to attack gay people."

In a statement today, the band said that "a small but vocal percentage of the gay community" were now protesting against the band and could ruin their appearance at the show.

"The band have discussed this situation carefully with the Big Gay Out organisers and feel that, although there has been nothing but a wonderful reception at performances in gay festivals since the 'quote' appeared, they have no wish to risk clouding what is otherwise a wonderfully celebratory day in the gay calendar by any possible adverse reaction, no matter how small, to their presence there," a statement read today.

"It is very unfortunate that those most vocal in complaint have not sought out a response or explanation from the band."

A spokesperson for Big Gay Out confirmed that the band had cancelled, and expressed apologies to those wishing to see them.

"Big Gay Out’s organisers and the band have deliberated these matters and have arrived at this conclusion so as to avoid potential distress to some of the festival’s patrons on what will be an exciting and spectacular day," they said today.

Meanwhile, Liberty X have confirmed they will still be playing at this year's Walk For Life, which takes place this Sunday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 thomas/paul

so hetrosexual people are able to kiss on tv but homosexual cant that is really unfair and sexist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by thomas/paul
    so hetrosexual people are able to kiss on tv but homosexual cant that is really unfair and sexist

"My only concern as we introduce this subject into early evening viewing is that it’s important not to go too far and become too graphic when youngsters could be watching - and that applies to heterosexual and homosexual portrayals by the way," she said in a full response.

and how the **** is it sexist ?

it said in the text 7pm is to early for homosexual kiss but you will alway find hetrosexual kiss on at any time ok fine sexist is the wrong word to use i apologise if i offended you but i think that it is deacrimination towords homosexual

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

and that applies to heterosexual and homosexual portrayals by the way," she said in a full response.

look just forget i said any thing ok, im sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Don't apologise ! That'll cause resolutions and end a thread full of nonsense ! That's not at all on ! :p:p

But when they show the gay kiss in a negative way it is harmful for kids to see.

I mean that the Todd storyline saw nearly everyone around him go against him because he was kissing other guys.

There are other shows that portray gay people better like Buffy, Six Feet Under. The Secret Life of Us etc. These shows don't use the 'gay' thing as shock tactics or a storyline of the week as Coronation street does.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought the storyline was really good. Really drummed home the "going out cheating on your wife with guys is not just a bit of fun" point well. I can see how it would be upsetting for someone struggling with their own sexuality though, kids could think "oh no, would I get the same reaction?". Although Karl was portrayed as quite popular before he led Todd astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by David Lynch
    Six Feet Under

What, as people that have random sex with strangers they meet over the internet.

As for duffy, do you really want to get me started.

Originally posted by Boston

I hate his radio show too. Didn't realise there was a gay storyline with him involved.

:p

• Advertisement

What, as people that have random sex with strangers they meet over the internet.

Well unless you have watched enough of the episodes of the shows then you can't really have an informed opinion about them.

The difference between Six Feet Under and Coronation Street is that Six Feet Under is a show created and produced by two gay men who make it for people to relate. The show is born out of something much more important than Coronation street can ever be. SFU explores different types of people and situations which they go through, a trivial soap like Coronation Street could never do this which as much excellence as SFU does.
    Coronation street is just using the Todd storyline to grab viewers, they use every storyline to do this in fact. The show has nothing to do with giving the audience something daring and intelligent to watch, or think about.

What I hate more than anything is people who mouth off about things they have no real knowledge about and especially when they don't back it up with anything.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There was a lot of gay input into the Coronation street storyline.
    Six Feet Under

That was an excellent storyline. The whole point was it exposed David's vulnerabilities. It was made clear that David got no satisfaction from his activities and served as a warning to anyone tempted to go down the same route.

Ever hear of gaydar (the website) ? Of the many gay guys I know many of them have active gaydar profiles and of the rest many of them have used gaydar or gaydar like websites in the past.

So that Six Feet Under storyline was pretty bang on. In fact I know some people who are addicted to those online dating sites and their lives are vacuous and lonely.

Advertisement