Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcycle Alarm/Immobiliser?

Options
  • 16-06-2004 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Not that my machine would be a prime target for thieves - it's extremely heavy - I can't afford, literally, for it to be stolen, and it does get left in public places quite a lot.
    I have a heavy duty lock, but it doesn't seem like enough.

Anyone have immobiliser fitted? I saw one on bikeworld's website that arms automatically, and if it detects any attempt to move or start the bike, the lights flash, an alarm goes off, and the engine gets immobilised.
    Anyone know what kind of costs I'm looking at, even for a basic immobiliser?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

What's your budget? I used to have a Meta 357 CAT1 alarm/immobiliser on my bike when I was in Glasgow. It was something like STG£300 but cut my premium in half. :cool: O'Leary Alarms in Cork sell them, but there aren't any prices on their site - you'd have to give them a phone...

http://www.olearyap.com/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have a LaserLine alarm / immobiliser..
    Apparently this gets me 5% reduction in my Hibernian policy, but I'm still trying to get this discount (worth around 65 euro a year to me).

Can't remember exactly what it cost.. Think it was around 215 euro fitted..

Oh, and here's some info on some of the available Thatcham approves systems:
    http://www.motorcyclesecurity.co.uk/brokerpages/main.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Originally posted by seamus
    Not that my machine would be a prime target for thieves - it's extremely heavy -

well, my bosses bike was shifted over 6 foot wall, don't ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

seamus, Megabikes on wexford street do one for €450. I can remember the model off the top of my head. but when I was looking into it, it was one of the best on the market... tilt alarm in all. The only problem with them is the cost of fitting. As you need to strip the electrics and parts of the bike down. I know Megabikes charge €39 per hour of labor... and I was told its a 4 or 5 hour jobie atleast :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have a Xena disc alarm. It's a disk lock with an alarm in it so it goes off if you try to move the bike or bash the alarm - i got it from South Wales Superbikes it worked out at about €60 which is half the price of anywhere I've seen them here. I used to have an alarm on my old bike - it was a "KingsGun" one. I've been looking but I can only find them on german websites - I got it from one in Canada. The alarm until came with the siren and 2 keyrings and it had loads of options - alarm/imobiliser only and silent options and you could set the sensitivity even start the bike with the keyring. You could also buy a page to carry with you and it would beep if the alarm was set off! It was really cheap too... heres a link if you can read German - there's even a pic of the pager on the right. If you know anyone who can follow a circut diagram they should be able to put it in - my dad was able to put mine in (he's an electrican not a bike mechanic).

what about eBAY. you will get the alarm real cheap. Some of them are very good .

Personally , I think that 300 for motorcycle alarm is bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by sutty
    seamus, Megabikes on wexford street do one for €450. I can remember the model off the top of my head. but when I was looking into it, it was one of the best on the market... tilt alarm in all. The only problem with them is the cost of fitting. As you need to strip the electrics and parts of the bike down. I know Megabikes charge €39 per hour of labor... and I was told its a 4 or 5 hour jobie atleast :(
    Ouch :(

Originally posted by Gmodified
    what about eBAY. you will get the alarm real cheap. Some of them are very good .

Personally , I think that 300 for motorcycle alarm is bit over the top.
    Yeah, I'll give it a look alright, didn't think of that.
    I'll probably have to spend a few hours tomorrow, cruising around the shops, seeing what they have.

That Disc lock with alarm sounds useful, as the bike is never parked in a hidden place, there are always loads of people around. It would need to loud, like a rape alarm though.

don't buy any cheap Disc locks as you can get them of under 10 sec. and they can still shift the bike to the van if they want .

Good chain and alarm with immobilizer will do the trick. Sorry but I do not believe in approved alarms which may have better features but sometimes can't stand up to diy cut off switches.

Also i never put any stickers on bikes/ cars with name of the alarm only flashing LED's
    This is very stupid thing to do as instead of scaring the thief's , u actually feed them with info.

cobra sticker is not going to scare anybody, it will just give them indication what to expect

Approved alarms my ar$e

it's like with standard house alarms , they claim that i will get 10 % discount when approved alarm is fitted.

So if I pay 400 this is 40 yoyos. Insurance is not going to go down every year 10 % so think how log it will take me to pay 400 euro installation. :)

You can also buy alarm with pager which will indicate if the bike was tampered with.

• Advertisement

Also i never put any stickers on bikes/ cars with name of the alarm only flashing LED's
    This is very stupid thing to do as instead of scaring the thief's , u actually feed them with info.

cobra sticker is not going to scare anybody, it will just give them indication what to expect
    Agreed completely. Any thief worth his salt will be familiar with different systems, so if tell him what's there, he's given the chance to head off and prepare the right tools for the job before coming back.

well if you decide to go diy road and need help give me a shout. i have fitted few alarms in my short life. including remote start alarms and other senseless devices.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Seamus,

do post and let us know what you decided on ,

I just rang Caroll Nash for a quote and they recommended an imoblisier for a cheaper discount, i'm just not sure which one to get ,

Thanks

Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gmodified what alarm would you recommend? what are you using?

Is there a list of immobilsors that eg Hibernian will give discounts for? , i've done made a few quotions on their online site, and any immobilisor thats chosen doesnt appear to give on cent off the quoted price without one?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Give RedLine in Rathdrum a call... If ~200 euro is in your price range, I reckon that's all I paid for my LaserLine (inc. fitting), which is Thatcham approved.

RedLine : 0404-46801

Stay away from the Xena alarmed disc lock. It's not even a small deterrent to a thief. The alarm is really only to prevent you from riding off with the disc lock in place.. A quick blow with a hammer would soon sort it out.. Permanently..

Oh, and I only paid around 30euro for it.. Still have it, but wouldn't dream of using it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

me point out that a bike can be knocked off witha sturdy skateboard, a ramp and a van. gives ya plenty of time to defeat any alarm in the privacy of one's back garden. can you get trackers for bikes? at least than you have a good chance of getting it back if the worst happens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

ya can actually.. I've seen a few GPS units that you can put in your bike/car and track it's location over the internet. Outragously expensive and I've only seen them in America; bloody nifty doohickeys tho. See where your vehicle is, what distance you've travelled in a certain timeframe, what your average speed is, crazy levels of detail. I think it was a few thousand dollars tho.

I'm sure it'd be possible to get something that transmits it's location via GSM, like the units you find in delivery trucks over here.

http://www.cycletrak.com/
    http://www.biketracking.com/
    http://www.avoid-it.com/sections/textalert%204.html <-- looks handy

Is there a list of immobilsors that eg Hibernian will give discounts for? , i've done made a few quotions on their online site, and any immobilisor thats chosen doesnt appear to give on cent off the quoted price without one

The only list of approved immobilizers could be found on Hibernian direct while processing you quote as you have seen already, but like you said it does f€ck all to the premium

In regards to GPS is also waist of money as you will . the only thing it will do is give you idea when was last seen while bike alarm dismantled on the back of the van or simply they will knock you down from the bike while waiting for green. This assuming that bike is worth the money.

i would buy average alarm just to make some noise, spend the rest of the money on serious chain and make sure that i have smart diy knock off switch

i would buy average alarm just to make some noise, spend the rest of the money on serious chain and make sure that i have smart diy knock off switch

Would be inclined to think the same, which begs the question...whats the most serious chain/lock that will annoy the criminal element bar garaging the bike?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

How about this badboy?

krytonite%20ny%20fai%20chain%2003.jpg

Or have I fallen for the advertising at http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300005005 ?

The lock itself looks a bit flimsy imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

A strong chain/lock combo will only protect your bike for the length of time it takes to remove the back wheel, or about 30-40 seconds with the right tools. Thieves don't bother cutting through chains anymore, just whip the wheel off.

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    A strong chain/lock combo will only protect your bike for the length of time it takes to remove the back wheel, or about 30-40 seconds with the right tools. Thieves don't bother cutting through chains anymore, just whip the wheel off.

Well Mojo,
    there is always question of time and nothing will give you 100% protection but you have to draw the line somewhere.

strong chain will last longer then any disc lock, Unless the bike is worth absolute fortune and will be done for special order, nobody is going to take the wheel of in the middle of the street. Before they think of taking your wheel off, they would simply wait when you take your fancy chain off and smack you with it in the face
    This procedure safes wheel removal or tree cutting etc.

Physical labour discourages any of the usual bastardo$ .

I got chain for my car too and never had problems since, dispute the fact - it could be easily removed.

Longfield,
    In regards to chains, i like strong non standard padlocks(with weird keys) as normal barrel could be drilled with cordless drill under 1 min which makes strong chain useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by MojoMaker

Nice one, that means nobody will ever bother trying to rob my bike.. the back wheel on it takes about an hour to get off :D

Advertisement