Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have you been caught on the mobile since points came in?

Options
  • 16-06-2004 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's because I'm more aware of it now, but I've noticed a huge number of people using the phone while driving over the last few days. I was parked at the side of the Malahide Road this morning for a few minutes, and I started a quick count. Of the first 30 cars that drove by me, 9 drivers had mobiles held to their ears.

Are people aware of the offences that can earn you penalty points? I'm a little confused as to how many points you get from using your phone while driving. Some reports say 1 point, others say 5 points because it's careless driving. I'd be curious to know if anyone has been caught using your phone since the points came in, and how many points were issued to you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

To my knowledge it's one point for actually using the mobile but if the Garda believes that using a mobile at that point in time constituted dangerous driving then you can be given the larger number of points for the more serious offence. Obviously this is at the discression of the Garda but dangerous driving needs to be provable in court.

I havn't heard much about how stringently they're applying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭BUMP!

From what I understood - the legislation for driving with a mobile is on the way but not ready yet. At the minute if they want to get you I think they can do it under careless driving.

To be sure check www.penaltypoints.ie altyhough I dont know how regularly its updated...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

AFAIK the use of a mobile phone is not a pointable offence yet. It's not listed on
    Penalty Points.ie.
    Mind you they've not added the Dangerous Driving to the current list.

My understanding of the reports in the week before the bank holiday weekend was that use of a mobile phone could be viewed as dangerous driving by a garda which would mean a mandatory court appearance and 5 points on conviction.
    But, later in the year when the computerised system comes online, more pointable offences will be introduced and one of those will be using a mobile phone whilst driving. That will carry one point as Leeroy said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

The last I heard, the penalty points for mobiles were supposed to come in on the Monday before the last bank holiday, but were put back to the Friday for maximum impact, or some such. I'm sure they are in operation now, but I'll ask a Garda if I see one around later for confirmation.

Also, according to that penaltypoints.ie site, the offence is 'using a mobile phone while driving'. So that rules out any kind of hands free option, right? You're still using it if it's a handsfree conversation. But then I remember at the start of the year when on the spot fines for mobile usage came in, the wording was along the lines of 'can't have a mobile on or about your person'. Meaning that you could use one handsfree.

I'm confused!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

That website is a joke, its never updated. How can we find out what offences are punishable by points right now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As I understand it, there has been a policy change to treat all mobile phone use while driving as dangerous driving, which is currently agaisnt the law (and gets 5 points). The new Road Traffic Act will bring in a specific mobile phone offence (and will get 1+ points)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Anyone who uses their mobile whilst driving is a tosser! What is with people with their flash Mercs, Audis, BMWs, etc. driving along with their phone to their ear. They can afford to fork out way over 50k for nice cars but still they don't seem to be able to afford a hands free costing under €200. W*nkers!
    I have always had a handsfree in any car I have owned. I still won't make an outbound call unless I am sitting in gridlock. Even then, I don't have to dial any numbers as the numbers I use most are stored as voice tags so I just say the persons name and the phone dials itself. If I receive a call, it'll be quick and to the point. The phone answers itself so I don't have to take my hands off the wheel. It's impossible to have full concentration on the road if you are also deep in conversation with somebody. That goes for talking to somebody in the car. If I do receive an important call, perhaps work related, which requires a bit of thought and concentration, I will still pull over or if I am on the motorway and cant do that, I will call the person back when I finish my journey or when do get a chance to pull over safely.
    Do these people on the phones in the flash cars with the phone glued to their head think they look cool or something?
    Well I have news for any of you guilty people out there, you don't. You look like stupid, ignorant, selfish accident causing plonkers! :mad:

BTW, when I mentioned BMW, Audi and Mercedes, I wasn't speaking about these cars only - All executive and sports cars is what I meant. Not that it is ok to use your mobile in the hand in other cars. It's just as bad. It's just that the rich folk can afford handsfree kits no problem. Oh, and having an automatic does not mean that you don't need a handsfree. I drive an auto barge.

RANT OVER

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I usually pull over to take a call. If it's important, and I can't stop I'll press Hands Free button that many phones have nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

nobody ever calls me :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Most of my mates have stopped taking calls while driving, it always seems that the guys in their flash BMW's and Merc's do it a lot more than anyone else - with the cars they're driving I sure they could well afford a hands-free kit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

nice rant, ntl Technical :)

What auto barge do you drive btw?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Twice recently I have had to stop and wait to overtake on a dangerous bend (on the clonee-leixlip road) because some dickhead decided to pull over and answer their phone (1st time was without any warning). These people are more dangerous than someone driving on a motorway with a phone. But of course, they won't get points for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Dangerous Parking = 5 points. Due to come in September I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by robbie1876
    Dangerous Parking = 5 points. Due to come in September I heard.

Good. Baggot St was at a standstill for about 20 minutes today because some idiot had 'parked' on the double yellow's on the corner of Baggot and Pembroke st.
    The double-length bus couldn't get around the corner because that fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Hi Unkel
    I have a Ford Scorpio with all the trimmings. One of the late facelift models, with less chrome. They look less OTT than the earlier models. Only a handful of these facelift ones in the country. So if you see a dark blue 1998 one around Dublin, chances are it's me driving it :D

A lot of people don't like them but I think they are great looking. They have aged so well and in fact, look quite modern these days, IMO.

Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

My friends mom was caught talking on her mobile phone while driving recently in Cork. She received 5 points so I guess it was constituted as dangerous driving.

Advertisement