Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorbike engine polishing / cleaning question.

Options
  • 16-06-2004 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a vintage bike this week and one of the previous owners thought it would be a great idea to paint the engine block (including gear box, stator cover etc) black !!!.
    The current owner has removed some of the paint with great difficulty and I would like to restore the metal back to its former glory.
    I have 2 options open to me , either clean it myself or get a shop to do it, neither of which i have any expierience with.
    I have spoken to the Celtic Motorcyle Company (always good for advice) and they told me its very hard to get anyone in Dublin to do this anymore.

Has anyone out there in Boards.ie land have any expierience with this type of work or at least tell me how i might clean it myself.

Any constructive advice would be greatly appriciated as I have 2 bikes and both are off the road because of this problem.

Cheers
    V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try talking to a paint company - assuming the finish is something like anodised aluminium or polyester powder coating (used with galvanised steel), paint doesn't stick to them very well.

How easily does the paint come off witha plastic (don't use metal!) scaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some paint stripper, rubber gloves, plastic wool, and a lot of elbow grease methinks.

Just be careful not to put paint stipper on any plastic parts (Sprocket covers, etc), or on the rest of the bike.

Me and a mate managed to completely strip the botch paint job (that we didn't do) off a chrome bicycle frame before. Took ages, especially the corners and fiddly bits :(

I would imagine most professional jobs would involve dismantling of the engine, and dipping of indivdual parts into some crazyily strong stuff. Expensive work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

To clean the engine Gunk is brill stuff, jsut dont try to drink it or anything, it looks awfully like coke.

a friend of mine thinks brake fluid is great for stripping paint off metal but if you get it anywhere it shouldnt be you'll be fairly flogged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Some people shouldn't be allowed bikes :-)

Can you remove the covers that are painted ?. I assume the crankcase is "soiled" too ?. If you could strip them off the bike, you could try shot-blasting them, that'll take most everything off, back to bare metal anyway.

Failing that an appropriate paint stripper may workm I've used Nitromors on engine covers before with good success.

What do you intend to do with them once they are clean ?. Leave them are bare ally ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Originally posted by Haket
    Some people shouldn't be allowed bikes :-)

Can you remove the covers that are painted ?. I assume the crankcase is "soiled" too ?. If you could strip them off the bike, you could try shot-blasting them, that'll take most everything off, back to bare metal anyway.

Failing that an appropriate paint stripper may workm I've used Nitromors on engine covers before with good success.

What do you intend to do with them once they are clean ?. Leave them are bare ally ?.

Don't fancy the idea of taking the covers off. I'm going to leave it as bare metal (as god made her !!) , so it looks like paint stripper is a good option.

Cheers guys.

V

ps: might post some before and after pics

• Advertisement

If you could strip them off the bike, you could try shot-blasting them, that'll take most everything off, back to bare metal anyway.
    :dunno: it would be able to rust properly then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Well as most engines are made from aluminium that wont be his problem. Its the oxidisation (in other words the furry white bits) that'll break his heart :-)

If the bike is never used/stored in wet conditions then you'll be grand. Otherwise better get a part share in Autosol !.

Well as most engines are made from aluminium that wont be his problem. Its the oxidisation (in other words the furry white bits) that'll break his heart :-)
    Furry white bits = aluminium oxide, rust = iron oxide. Same difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

What make/model vintage bike are you buying Verdammt?

Paint remover will work with varing degrees of success depending on the type of paint that was used and whether it was baked on, and how old the paint is at this stage.

Any chance you could post up a pic of the engine/bike? some of the old engines will never shine up, and probably weren't shiny when they came out of the factory.

Are you trying to restore to origional condition or trying to improve on it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Originally posted by Victor
    Furry white bits = aluminium oxide, rust = iron oxide. Same difference.

Yeah, but rust tends to peel off, the aluminum oxide forms a sort of protective layer (al ox is stronger than aluminium)

• Advertisement
Advertisement