Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloomsday!

Options
  • 16-06-2004 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Who gives a **** lioke?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Why young Davey Norris, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Bullshít day.

google seems to give a ****, funnily enough

james_joyce.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Ah now, Bloomsday's great ye uncultured swines ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

STFU ya yobs!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Let's all celebrate James Joyces' greatest work:

Ulysses_Title1.jpg
    ulysses.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

# UlysseeEEeeEEEeeeEEEeees #

great theme tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

Originally posted by mike65
    Who gives a **** lioke?

Mike.

K.M.R.I.A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

OOps,

Originally posted by earwicker
    K.M.R.I.A

http://www.netlingo.com/lookup.cfm?term=KMRIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was wondering what that meant. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement

Has anyone here ever read Ulysses or know anyone that has?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Read it, studied it, did papers in college on it.

Can't stand it.

for many many reasons, most of which would fill even more papers, if argued properly.

But the Dubliners is good, and Finnegan's Wake is ok

Sky News Ireland did a poll about 25% said they had read it - 23% read the back cover and halfway down the first page I'd say.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I read the whole book and I'll probably read it more than once as you find new things in it all the time. I'm a bit sick of all the cheesy hype though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Denny should be sued! I bet he is turning in his grave. Don't remember this from last year, all the advertising I mean...Is it just me?

Originally posted by Flashling
    Denny should be sued! I bet he is turning in his grave. Don't remember this from last year, all the advertising I mean...Is it just me?

nope, didn't notice it either - probably going all out because it's Bloomsday 100....the state Samantha Mumba et al on the ad on RTÉ: "Yes, Yes, Yes!"

Um, it's the centenary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lyonsy

Is it true that he has a **** at the beach, and takes his son to a brothel??

Originally posted by lyonsy
    Is it true that he has a **** at the beach, and takes his son to a brothel??

**** bit - true.

His son is dead but he ends up in the brothel with Stephen Dedalus, a young man that Bloom has some sort of fatherly affection for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lyonsy

hmm.. might read it. didn't know it was so filthy..was there not fierce contravercy about wrighting that kinda shi t back then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by simu
    **** bit - true.

He cracks one off after seeing two girls bathing down in Sandymount.

I can't believe that Sky News let that 25% statistic stand. The only people I know who've read it through were doing it in College. I got about a third of the way through, but I ended up drowning in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

lol!

It is a **** book!

I tried reading it years ago. It was so boring. Surely one of the aims of any writer should be to make his work enjoyable to read, and to express himself clearly, whether being subtle or not.
    "A book that only 12 people fully understand." My arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

I'm reading it at the moment (have read portrait of the artist and Dubliners too) and I think it's fantastic. You can't approach it like a regular book though. It's only linear in a very, very loose sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Flashling
    Ah, it was his own fault for mentioning Denny in the book.

I prefer the bit in Steinbeck's Wayward Bus myself where yer man says that Coke and Pepsi are basically the same stuff. I still have hopes that it kept the odd few Coca Cola lawyers awake at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

In the last decade or so, that process has rebranded and remarketed, among other things, the Great Famine of the 1840s through the construction of a 200 acre faux-realistic famine theme park in west Limerick,
    (from that Guardian article)

Is this true? A famine theme park?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

Originally posted by Marq
    I'm reading it at the moment (have read portrait of the artist and Dubliners too) and I think it's fantastic. You can't approach it like a regular book though. It's only linear in a very, very loose sense.

Then it sounds to me like Joyce was a person who is trying to be too clever by half writing some book only the most up his own arse academic can understand. As I understand it Joyce would probally consider bloomsday to be an absolute travesty because of all the establishment types taking part.

Originally posted by simu
    (from that Guardian article)

Is this true? A famine theme park?

Knockfierna Famine Park

http://knockfierna.tripod.com/aboutus.htm

Actually its not a bad as it sounds.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by mike65
    Knockfierna Famine Park

http://knockfierna.tripod.com/aboutus.htm

Actually its not a bad as it sounds.

Mike.

I hope it has a nice restaurant :D

Alan Partridge on the Irish famine "...they could afford to emigrate why couldn't they afford to eat in a modest restaurant? That's what you get for being a picky eater."

Seriously though the Roy Foster book, "The Irish Story: Telling Tales and Making It Up In Ireland", mentioned in that Guardian article, is well worth a read. I have it somewhere must get it out and have another look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The book is total tripe - I can't figure out why anyone would call it a great book - the back of a Cornflakes box offers better reading. My mother always gives out to me for bad-mouthing the book, she calls it a classic: I have read it she hasn't even opened it:rolleyes:, yes 25% have read it :D.

Advertisement