Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

where can i get decent second hand alloys?

Options
  • 15-06-2004 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭

like this

urbanracer5_small.gif

or this

stealth_small.gif

buyandsell.net seems to have feck all and i cant find anywhere else (anywhere else online at any rate)

any suggestions?

(cheap is good)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

You never know what a set of 2nd hand alloys have been thru or what state they were in before they were 'touched up' to be sold. Wheels are not something I'd buy 2nd hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you do a search you'll find a few places suggested.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

And I'd be worried that you might not be buying them from the actually owner, that they may be warm to the touch etc

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

I did a search for 2nd hand alloys a while back , turned out the cheapest place to get them is a scrap yard,

inevitebly the car has been through a bad crash to end up in a scrap yard , so avoid those wheels like the plague (hairline cracks etc)

but if you get a firedamaged car , usually after joyriders, then the alloys will be safe enough , the scrap yard out by the red cow will also allow you to buy the wheels and get them tested , should they prove faulty you can bring em back . fairly nice of them.

hope this helps ,

Fionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fendervendor

The biggest problem, in my experience, is that alloys all too easily become deformed by road conditions (potholes etc). Even visually undetectable deformations in the rim can cause vibration at speeds 40mph and up, particularly if using low prof's. This also makes them impossible to balance properly.

If you really must get used ones, check them out thoroughly before finalising any deal.

Good luck.

fendervendor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Originally posted by Fendervendor
    The biggest problem, in my experience, is that alloys all too easily become deformed by road conditions (potholes etc). Even visually undetectable deformations in the rim can cause vibration at speeds 40mph and up, particularly if using low prof's. This also makes them impossible to balance properly.

By that reasoning i.e visual, would it not be the case that an OE rim would suffer from the same symptoms? Granted a poor quality alloy will be more susceptible to damage but a decent set will be able to sustain as much impact as an OE rim without damage even with low profiles.

I have driven a hell of alot of miles on 17's in pothole riddled roads and have never as much got a dent. This is down to a good quality rim and tyres with rim protectors. I had a set of 17in Kahn's but have since changed them to Dare V2's with 205/40/17 Nankangs.

You will more then likely be fine buying a set of second hand wheels it would be easy to see if they have been through the wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 wishlist.ie

Always beware buying alloys second hand - as mentiond above hairline cracks, warping etc can make them lethal. Even driving off a curb too badly can do some damage.

Also beware that heat can soften aluminium!!!!

:rolleyes: Also beware of new alloys you can get hairline cracks , warping and curb damage.

It has been known for these problems to occur after buying new alloys. I dont know anyone who checks there alloys for hairline cracks everytime they intend to drive their car. If you bought a second hand car with alloys on it its very unlikely you would check these either.

Dont forget never leave your car in direct sun light either :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Originally posted by Fionn101
    I did a search for 2nd hand alloys a while back , turned out the cheapest place to get them is a scrap yard,

inevitebly the car has been through a bad crash to end up in a scrap yard , so avoid those wheels like the plague (hairline cracks etc)

but if you get a firedamaged car , usually after joyriders, then the alloys will be safe enough , the scrap yard out by the red cow will also allow you to buy the wheels and get them tested , should they prove faulty you can bring em back . fairly nice of them.

hope this helps ,

Fionn

Fionn Where abouts on the Red Cow is that Scrap Yard may have a look at the weekend for bits and bobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 wishlist.ie

Originally posted by VeVeX
    :rolleyes: Also beware of new alloys you can get hairline cracks , warping and curb damage.

It has been known for these problems to occur after buying new alloys. I dont know anyone who checks there alloys for hairline cracks everytime they intend to drive their car. If you bought a second hand car with alloys on it its very unlikely you would check these either.
    No, but the chances of getting a duff second hand ally are surely higher than buying a duff new one.
    Dont forget never leave your car in direct sun light either :confused: [/B]

LOL I was referring to buying allys off a car that had been "firedamaged" as stated above - intense heat (not sunlight) will soften aluminium, as is often the case seen on cylinder heads of badly overheated engines (will alu heads) - the alu goes too soft to machine, and they are scrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

the scrapyard is on the opposite side of the road to the red cow , they face each other ,

Coming from the M50 southbound take the left at the red cow and it;s about 200 yards away on the left hand side ,

hope this helps

Fionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dont forget never leave your car in direct sun light either :confused:

Park in the shade if you want to keep your cars paint in good order (uv damage)!

Mike.

Originally posted by wishlist.ie
    LOL I was referring to buying allys off a car that had been "firedamaged" as stated above - intense heat (not sunlight) will soften aluminium, as is often the case seen on cylinder heads of badly overheated engines (will alu heads) - the alu goes too soft to machine, and they are scrap.

LOL was wondering what you'd say back to that.

There is a risk involved in buying a second hand set of wheels as there is with all second hand stuff but if it were me I would expect to be paying half the original price for a set in good condition. I have sold 2 sets of wheels that I have had on my current car. The wheels were in as new condition but I got roped into deals with my friends as soon as I mentioned getting a new set so didn't benefit much from the care I took with them financially.

Advertisement