Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn Direct

Options
  • 15-06-2004 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a great quote from them. Thinking seriously of taking them up.

any advice or cautions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭BUMP!

Try axa male or www.jlt.ie for a quote first.

Quinn direct are cheaper than most but if you are ever involved in a tip or an accident then they will ALWAYS assume you to be at fault and pay out without hesitation. Happened to the brother who had several witnesses claiming he was in the right (including me) but they did not appear interested and forked out without even defending him.

Just be very wary of accepting a quote from them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Try axa male or www.jlt.ie for a quote first.

I'm not telling any insurnace company my work address. It's none of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by BUMP!

Quinn direct are cheaper than most but if you are ever involved in a tip or an accident then they will ALWAYS assume you to be at fault and pay out without hesitation.

In my case they didn't pay out because I expressly instructed them not to do so because I would settle it myself. I would imagine this is normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭BUMP!

Well in the brothers case they payed out without even informing him. They were completely unwilling to defend him even though he was in the right which is a different situation to yours as in your case you (appear to have) admitted fault and were willing to pay up.
    Why would they want to stop you doing that???

All I'm sayin is if you have an accident they'll prob leave you on your own if paying is cheaper than trying to defend you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

they will ALWAYS assume you to be at fault and pay out without hesitation
    The reason why Quinn Direct quote so low is that they have a huge excess. Hence the immediate payout. You will be OK if you don't crash. Breakdown cover is usually extra too.

I was quoted abot €900 everywhere. QD quoted €555 but when I queried in detail the excess was €380 as opposed to most other quotes I got.

thegills

• Advertisement

Royal and Sun Alliance want €1600 for my renewal whereas QD want just €900.
    Even with a €380 excess they are still way cheaper. RSA have a €250 excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Bard
    In my case they didn't pay out because I expressly instructed them not to do so because I would settle it myself. I would imagine this is normal.
    They asked me who I thought was at fault, and I told them I was willing to go with 50/50, i.e. everyone sorts out their own damage. I also told them that if they decided they were going to pay out, to inform me, and I'd sort it out myself.
    They went and paid out anyway, gave the guy €1,500 to replace a 12 year old Micra (I'd already sourced an 8 year old one I could have bought for €600 to replace his) and raised my premium by almost €2,000.

I don't trust Quinn Direct in the slightest. Don't arrange direct debit with them Bond - pay it another way if you can. They'll continue to debit cash from your account even after you cancel a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

I know two people who had "issues" with them also.

I wouldn't recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i believe they dont do windscreen replacement though

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

seeing as my insurance is up for renewal at the end of the month I shopped around. I'm with quinn and my quote for this year (on the website - i'm yet to receive my renewal notice) was €1050 fully comp on a 2002 clio. I'm with them 3 years (full 3yr NCB) and have a provisional.
    I got a quote from eagle star of €840 - guess what I'm doing ?

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

i believe they dont do windscreen replacement though

They definitely don't, in fact they referred me to a windshield replacement company who they said would give me a discount and it ended up being the most expensive quote for a new windscreen I got, in general I wouldn't recommend them unless your a new driver and you can't afford to go anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-007
    I'm not telling any insurnace company my work address. It's none of their business.
    Is "corner of Leeson Street" really a "work address"? :D

Originally posted by Victor
    Is "corner of Leeson Street" really a "work address"? :D

Are you impling something there Victor? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Originally posted by mudflapgirl
    I'm with them 3 years (full 3yr NCB) and have a provisional.

Thats why your insurance is so expensive, get a full licence it'll save you A LOT especially with 3 years NCB i find it amazing you don't have a full licence

I worked with QD for a while before and still have lots of friends in there, i've also been insured with them a few years now and i find them the best to work with.

Their just like any other company you can be unlucky and someone not so competent can be handling your claim/incepting your policy.

Generally though their very good, if their cheapest then go for them.

Paying your insurance through direct debit works out a hell of a lot more expensive anyway, it works out cheaper to get a small loan or put it on your credit card and pay it off when you have the cash.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

I was involved in a crash with one of these d***s in their suped up cars. I was at a cross roads and wanted to go straight across,the car to the right of me was stopped and indicating right (going down same road I was). He flashed to let me cross ahead of him,next thing this p***k overtook him on the RHS and hit me as I was crossing the white line. I explained all this to AXA and they said I was wrong as I had pulled out of a by-road and was crossing a main road,never mind the fact that he had overtaken a car indicating right on the RHS. They wanted to settle up with him straight away(his car was wrote off value £3000, my car had £3500 damage),even though I wanted to take it to court. I knew I'd win in court so I told them if they pay out that I'd be cancelling my insurance with them and I'd be taking them to court for compensation for losing my no claims bonus (i would have had to claim on my own comprehemsive insurance for my own car too) as I had instructed them not to pay. It worked they didn't pay him and I won the case in court. It nearly always works to threaten a little legal action if you think they're not listening to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by Farls

I worked with QD for a while before and still have lots of friends in there, i've also been insured with them a few years now and i find them the best to work with.

Their just like any other company you can be unlucky and someone not so competent can be handling your claim/incepting your policy.

Generally though their very good, if their cheapest then go for them.

:rolleyes: rose-tinted specs must be standard staff issue there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by seamus
    They asked me who I thought was at fault, and I told them I was willing to go with 50/50, i.e. everyone sorts out their own damage. I also told them that if they decided they were going to pay out, to inform me, and I'd sort it out myself.
    They went and paid out anyway, gave the guy €1,500 to replace a 12 year old Micra (I'd already sourced an 8 year old one I could have bought for €600 to replace his) and raised my premium by almost €2,000.

I don't trust Quinn Direct in the slightest. Don't arrange direct debit with them Bond - pay it another way if you can. They'll continue to debit cash from your account even after you cancel a policy.
    yeah im having nothing but trouble with my direct debit for my insurance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Originally posted by Tommy Vercetti
    :rolleyes: rose-tinted specs must be standard staff issue there

What are you trying to insinuate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

My car got broke into, about 600 euro damage caused. Asked them about claiming and they said that I would have to pay the first 380 euro of the claim myself and then next year I would be subject to a 40% increase on my premium!

Not sure if this is the same for most insurance companies but I'll be checking with them before I pay my next premium!

Advertisement