Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Classical Concert Experience

• 12-06-2004 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

I'm ashamed to say it, but I got around to making my first trip to the National Concert Hall last night!!

I went to see the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra [with Elizabeth Cooney] presenting:

Verdi Overture La forza del destino
    Mozart Violin Concerto No. 5 in A major, K. 219
    Ravel Rapsodie espagnole
    Respighi Pines of Rome

Talk about breath taking ... the better half said she's never seen me with a goofy looking face before :D

Have to say that the choice of Respighi's Pines of Rome for the closing piece was inspired ... oh look @ me, I'm a critic :rolleyes: :D

I will definately be making the short trip to the NCH more often now!!

I'm gonna go & book tickets for John Williams this minute ... he's playing on 03/07/2004!!

Finally, is anybody a Friend of the NCH & if so is it worth becoming one :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

good stuff, hopeully more people will make this discovery and support the ailing orchestras of the world that run the risk of disappearing completely.

try to go to concerts that have at least one composer you like, as it can be a drag to listen to musicthat does not sit easy with you

no sound system will ever beat the sound of a live orchestra. Dont care what any one says.

As regards being a friend of the concert hall. You get to go to the rehersals of some of the celebrity concerts, which some times can be as good as the concert itself. You get priority booking and the events sent to you in the post. Check out their website for details.

The Sarah Chang rehersal was the complete program and it was free. I went to it again that night and i can say it was just as good.

There was an excellent Flamenco concert there on Thursday. It is an excellent venue as the helix is too. The helix has the luxury of parking too.

Advertisement