Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Boards" as Gaeilge?

Options
  • 11-06-2004 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting little thing that popped up in the discussion of the new homepage...

What is the actual Irish translation of "boards" as we know it? Now my Irish is amateur at best, so bear with me here. "Bord" seems to refer to a table or a plank for example, which while it is the direct translation of "board", it doesn't capture what we actually mean when we say "boards".

So what does it mean? What would be a good description? "Auditorium", "Debating Arena", "Forums"?

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Is dócha go bhfuil an leathnach tosaigh nua feicithe agaibh go léir faoin dtráth seo (muna bhfuil, tá sé anseo).

Cad a cheapann sibh faoin slí a bhfuil "boird" curtha ann mar leagan Gaeilge de "boards". Ní dóigh liom go bhfuil sé seo ró-shoiléir mar aistriúchán mar chuirfeadh sé ag cuimhneamh ar bhord (a table) thú. Is dóigh liom féin go mbeadh "fóraim phlé" (discussion forums) níos fearr.

Cad a cheapann sibh? An bhfuil aon téarmaí oirúnacha eile ann?

ha! I just started a thread on the same thing! Maye the mods can merge them.

As I said in Irish, I think boird would make a person think of tables.

I think "fóraim phlé" (discussion forums) sounds better but I'd like to hear to other suggestions as well.

I'll ask a few people in the real world for their opinions later as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Fóraim phlé" sounds good to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

i like "fóraim phlé" -> discussion forums. but i think it should have a lot more meaning than discussion forum. irish has great ways of describing things. its getting the right description. if you know what i mean.

similar to whiskey -> uisce beatha -> water of life

what do you think?

"Allagar na hIdirlíne"

Saghas "pun" ar "Allagar na hInise" le Tomás Ó Criomhthainn!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gosuk Midik

Magaldaí would probably suit best, if most of the discussions I see on these Boards are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Hmm...

As far as I remember, the word for "board" (as in plank) is "clár" (which also means programme, schedule, etc.).

However, the "board" is "boards" is more likely than not to be a contraction of "bulletin board" - I suspect DeVore or Cloud or anyone else involved with setting up boards.ie in the first place could provide an authoritative answer here, but it appears to make sense.

I can't think of a snazzy translation for "bulletin board" ("clár na bhfógraí" is a bit convoluted, and perhaps not specific enough), and I'm pretty sure there won't be a one-word translation, or a two-word one that can be shortened to one without the inherent meaning being badly distorted or completely lost.

This is something inherent to Irish, though; like many other languages, the sum total of Irish language vocabulary pales into insignificance compared to English - after all, how many other languages actually need a thesaurus or similar concept? (This is not an attempt at arguing language supremacy, by the way, it's just a fact - and the main reason why English is so hard to learn for people not raised on it)

Then again, we are trying to translate what amounts to a trademark - after all, if you were shown the word "boards" outside the context of this web site, would you automatically think of boards.ie? Some will, some won't, I'd imagine...

Gadget
    P.S.> Would anyone care to translate "Allagar" and "Magaldaí"? I've grown up with Irish (Gaeilge Chonamara, to be specific, and I've never heard of either...?)

scáileán fáisnéise bulletin board
    clár fógraí bulletin board
    clár plé discussion board

Ón suíomh seo

B'fhearr liom an tríú ceann anseo - cuireann sé in iúl gur áit é seo chun plé a dhéanamh seachas áit chun fógraíochta amháin.

San uimhir iolra:

Scáileáin fháisnéise
    Cláir fhógraí
    Cláir phlé

P.S.> Would anyone care to translate "Allagar" and "Magaldaí"? I've grown up with Irish (Gaeilge Chonamara, to be specific, and I've never heard of either...?)

Allagar = (loud) talk, disputation (from Ó Dónaill's dictionary) (agus ní rabhas ach leath-dháiríre leis seo!)

Magaldaí - not in my dictionary but magarlach = silly/testicular! (I'm not sure if this is what Gosuk meant though!)

Smaoineamh eile/Another idea:

fóraim phlé na Fódla - bheadh sé sin saghas fileata! / that would be kinda poetic!

(Fódla = a poetic name for Ireland)

Pé scéal é, de réir mar a thuigeasa é, ní ag lorg aistriúchan cruinn ar "boards.ie" a táthar ach ag lorg focal nó téarma a dhéanfadh cur síos ar an suíomh as Gaeilge.

NEway, the way I understood it, it wasn't an exact Irish translation of "boards.ie" that was wanted but a word or a phrase that would describe boards in Irish.

i know boird -> may get people to think of plank etc.. but maybe

boird an phobail

boards for the community / boards for the public

• Advertisement

I think the word boird should be dropped altogether, it just doesn't have the same meaning as boards in English. In the dictionary bord is:

A table

A board or council like you'd have in politics or in business (but way more formal than a message board)

A border

The deck of a ship

A load

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ceapaim gur í "Fóraim" an focail is fearr anseo.

[EDIT]: Threads merged.

clár - has the same meaning ..... according to collins gem

boards
    plank
    table(of contents)
    menu
    programme
    panel
    register
    lid

<edit>
    in the oxford..

bord -> table, board
    clár -> board, table, plank, table, lid, programme...

if it helps .. me da (a lecturer in irish - [UUC ] says it should be boird an phobail

</edit>

Originally posted by Bard
    Ceapaim gur í "Fóraim" an focail is fearr anseo.

[EDIT]: Threads merged.

Sea, tá sé simplí agus soiléir. Má dhéanann tú cuardach le google, is léir go n-úsáideann an-chuid suíomhanna Gaeilge an focal seo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

"coiste" is Irish for "board" (as in "commitee")

Not sure if that would work though.. doesn't really make much sense.

commitees.ie

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by David-[RLD]-
    "coiste" is Irish for "board" (as in "commitee")

Not sure if that would work though.. doesn't really make much sense.

commitees.ie

:rolleyes:

No, that means an official commitee rather than a place people come to discuss their interests.

I still think "fóraim"(forums) or "fóraim phlé"(discussion forums) are best. Should we do a poll?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Seamusithclár
    Jimeatsmenu

Jimeatsboards?

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    Seamusithclár
    Jimeatsmenu

Jimeatsboards?

ItheannJimClár!

Ní dóigh liom go mbeidh focal Gaeilge ann anois ach is cuma, mar ní bheadh ann ach tokenism.

Ní rithfidh mé amach as fhocail Ghaeilge ar "boards" riamh arís áfach!:)

Advertisement