Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

johnny 8, squee 5, lenore 10, i feel sick 3....

Options
  • 06-06-2004 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

has anyone heard any news about any of these?
    it just seems that jhonen's disappeared after the filler bunny comics and everyhing can be beaten....
    is anyone else eagerly EAGERLY awaiting these?
    there seems to be a lack of these soeta comics being mentioned on this board...
    and sandman, is that over OVER over? or just "over"?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As far as I know, Johnny The Homicidal Maniac is complete as a seven-issue series. Both the hardback and paperback collected books have seven issues, and I've not seen any mention of any specific plans to bring Johnny back anytime soon. Squee I'm not so sure about.

Lenore I don't know anything about, since I'm not following it, and I saw I Feel Sick #3 in my local store recently so it should be out on general release. You should be able to get more info on any of these from the Slave Labor Graphics website.

There isn't a great deal of discussion of those kind of comics on here only because superheroes seem to be the staple reading for the majority of the readers. Personally I avoid that stuff, although the Slave Labor comics have an annoying tendency to present their ideas as being "theme x with a goth slant", where theme x is whatever you like. Which gets boring after a while. But hey - post more about the comics you like and try and get more people reading them by all means, otherwise we'll end up with nothing but "who's your fave superhero" threads.

As regards Sandman ( I presume you mean Gaiman's run on the series), the central story is finished - last tales being directly related to it are in the tenth collected book, "The Wake". But there seems to be an endless supply of spin off stories, mostly of questionable quality since they are written by other writers and feature Gaiman only as a "consultant". "Through the gates of horn and ivory" wasn't too bad (although I got it out of my local library - I don't think I'd bother buying it), Merv Pumpkinhead : Agent of DREAM looks rubbish, the Thessaly miniseries looks like a load of rubbish, there are a couple of books about Death (Time of your life and High Cost Of Living, I think), a currently ongoing series about Lucifer (following on after he gave Dream the key to the gates of hell), and there's some links between the world of Sandman and the Books of Magic books (unsurprising, really, given that Gaiman wrote the original Timothy Hunter story in the Books of magic miniseries).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

hmm.
    i heard there was a new johnny in production. or something.
    well, it also seems sorta open-for-sequel the way 7 ends...

there's an i feel sick 3 out?? wow!
    missed that..

well, the 11th sandman library came out recently.
    endless nights, its good, it has 7 stories, one about each of the endless...

anyway, thanks a lot, and if anyone hear's any news, lemme know...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I agree about Johnny - the ending leaves itself very open to some later continuation, although from Vasquez's description of the character I think it would take a very strong idea (or extreme shortage of cash!) before he went back to it...of course, I could be totally wrong. Haven't heard anything about a follow up, though.

As regards the Sandman - they are still producing follow ups books, but none of them are a direct follow on to the main storyline in the original Gaiman series. I haven't been too impressed by most of the extra stuff, in all honesty, but it's still good to have some non-superhero stuff on the shelves...

You might like 13th of Never and Kreeky Hollow if you like Vasquez's comics ( or even Slave Labor Graphics comics in general)...I'll find more info on them when I get home from work and can check the authors and websites for the books.

What other comics do you read? Any favourites other than the ones you've already mentioned?

Advertisement