Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java 1.5 "tiger" ?

Options
  • 04-06-2004 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Anybody using java 1.5 yet?

What yeah all think of it ?

been reading abit up on it and there seem to be a bit doom and gloom in some parts of the sun web site saying that java is getting too complicated and that c# is beginning to look like the better option, and that jvm has gotten as fast as its going to get etc .

Also i have noticed that java has a very bad rap in a few circles on the net. I have been using java for two years and i find it very good and easy to expand your knowledge using the cool api/javadoc thing, once you have the oo basics.

so what do yeah all thing about the future of java ?

Java 1.5 tiger features

c# vs java

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Originally posted by HaVoC
    been reading abit up on it and there seem to be a bit doom and gloom in some parts of the sun web site saying that java is getting too complicated and that c# is beginning to look like the better option, and that jvm has gotten as fast as its going to get etc .

on the sun website, I seriously doubt that :eek:

With IBM, SUN, Oracle, BEA etc.. building their Enterprise Solutions around Java it is far from as good as it is going to get....

then again, maybe I should just get back under my bridge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Personally I think Java will continue to get better and better, I prefer it to any other language, It has some misgivens, but 1.5 really is brilliant. Java has a very large community who will never convert to c# or another Java like language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I have no complaints about it: well except for a little niggle where I would have liked more optimisations in regard to Generic use instead of a compiler trick, but I suppose it's important for back support:dunno:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm looking forward to the 1.5 full release... The addition of Generics and the enhanced looping in particular are going to be a big help in one of my current projects... Downloaded the beta 2 this morning, hoping to play with it tonight a little after work...

Advertisement