Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Question

Options
  • 04-06-2004 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Wondering if someone can help me with this.

I would like to place a window in my kitchen and I am wondering if it is exempt from planning.

The window would be on the ground floor, at the side of the house. The window would be more than a meter from the boundary with the next house.

I have looked in the Galway Co. Co. planning website and I can find nothing about such a scenario, but an engineer has told me that it is exempt.

Does anybody have any 1st hand experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It should be exempt.

Reasons why it might not be exempt:
    Listed building
    Overlooking neighbour (use opaque glass)
    Fire hazard
    Too close to boundary
    Excessively detrimental to look of building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Thanks for the info Victor

One question though
    Too close to boundary = What is the definition of too close, it should be about 1m from wall.

I talked to Galway Co. Co. and they said 'Any material change to a house is subject to planning'. or words to that effect.

They said that the info was on the Dept of Environment website http://www.environ.ie

It probably is but there are about 30 individual PDF files of planning regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by por
    I talked to Galway Co. Co. and they said 'Any material change to a house is subject to planning'. or words to that effect.
    Unless covered by one of my points above, this is unlikely to be a material change and your (local?) engineer concurs.

Fingal Co.Co. apply a rule of 1m as the minimum between a house and the site boundary and I imagine Galway do the same - however you aren't building any closer, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Building close the the bounday line does affect Fire Regulations (e.g. fire exiting the window and entering a window in the other building) - however a single small window would probably be exempt.

Advertisement