Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive sale...what's the catch?

Options
  • 04-06-2004 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

You know those fliers that advertise those huge 'liquidation' sales where they supposedly sell things like 28" TVs for 10 euros. I realise they're a scam but what is the general way they work.

My memory of them is that you turn up (even if you arrive before the official opening) pay your entry fee (which is where they make money from you even if you leave disgusted after 10 seconds) and then realise that there was one 28" TV for sale at 10 euros and it has mysteriously already been sold by the time you arrived (despite being first in the queue).

Is my memory correct, is this how they generally work? We've just a flyer advertising a 'liquidation' sale of a mail order company....blah blah blah, exact same sale as happened out at the Redcow hotel a few weeks back. Crazy prices of course....and a mysterious 'entry' fee....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i think someone posted about these not so long ago. they are auctions arent they? with mysterious bidders who make sure things only get sold above a certain price.

if something seems too to be true, it generally is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I got caught out at one of these as a kid. Yep, they're a scam and here's how they operate:

1. Auctioneer sells of something of moderate value (CD Player or the likes for 10/20 quid) cheaply to the first person to bid. Repeats this a few times to build confidence

2. Next up the Auctioneer, auctions off a "mystery prize". This will be something reasonably decent.

3. Then he auctions a new "mystery prize" and asks how many people want it for a tenner (or thereabouts).

4. the sheep all put up their hands and his assistants pounce, taking the tenners and handing you "tokens".

5. You then get some crap aftershave or some **** like that in exchange for your token and leave feeling like a complete muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

In fairness though there are some that are legit, the easiest way to tell is if its being run be a reputable auctioneer.

I went to a legit one back in the day and picked up a decent stereo for next to nothing.

Theres a fair few scams out there though, anything thats either

a) in a dodgy lookin shop

or

b) run by a guy in a trackie

or

c) charges you to get in

is well dodgy.

Most of the legit ones'll be advertised in the paper.

Chris

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I saw one in belfast just before xmas.. the usual big bright orange posters stuck to
    trees and lamposts all over the place.. It wasnt an auction as such but just an
    electrical good sales...

Its wasnt a big scale thing and was being run in the Malone lodge hotel so popped
    in for a look and turned out to be some guy who has an electrical store and was
    selling off his old stock and ex rental stock, some boxes were missing, manuals etc
    and they werent in packaging.. so had a browse and bought a video for the parents
    as their one had just packed in.. so got a lovely sony one, 4 heads, nicam and the
    works for £40 sterling..

I was amazed when the guy gave me the bits and pieces, remote control and then
    he handed me a piece of paper with a 6 month guarantee if anything should go
    wrong..

I asked him why he did it this way and he told me that most people who went into
    his store looked around at all the shiny new gear and the ex rental stuff doesnt even
    get a look in.. so every 10- 12 months he rents out a place like this and sells only
    the older stock and ex rental stuff and usually ends up clearing the lot..

This guy was legit and very sound.. chattin away, answering any questions I had
    and not a bother on him..

The parents have the video about 7 months now and not bother on it...

As someone said, ya just have to check the background of whoever is selling it..

I think you can spot the scam artists a mile away if you take a good look around and
    dont get caught up in the moment...

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I]caveat emptor[/I] as always! some of them are great deals and some are crap shody stuff. Bit like buying on ebay really, a bit of carefull thinking and research will get you something good, jump in too quick at the sight of a bargain and you could get burnt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Originally posted by Sleepy

1. Auctioneer sells of something of moderate value (CD Player or the likes for 10/20 quid) cheaply to the first person to bid. Repeats this a few times to build confidence
    And these 'buyers' are just stooges, working in cahoots with the auctioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Originally posted by RainyDay
    And these 'buyers' are just stooges, working in cahoots with the auctioneer.

frankly billy, i know its not the 1930's no more, but that moll over theres trying to get in cahoots with the bosses stooges!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

crash_000, you've got moxy, you'll go far... I really like the cut of your salt.

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Originally posted by chabsey
    You know those fliers that advertise those huge 'liquidation' sales where they supposedly sell things like 28" TVs for 10 euros. I realise they're a scam but what is the general way they work.
    Yup this came through my letterbox the other day. A few years ago I got almost the exact same thing and like a fool I went along. It was in a small room in a hotel and it was packed with people and I had to stand at the back.
    I thought I'd get some bargains, but no. They were auctioning everything off, starting at about £5 and in the end it came to about £80. And THEN, they put 21% VAT on everything after the auction price is confirmed. You'd have to be quite wealthy to get anything decent, unless you want a kitchen clock for £10.
    So in the end I left with nothing. :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

the 10quid etc only the reserve price. Ya should check up at the back at the end of the auction on the last day and you might get something nice. Bargins are to be had but you have to remember the price may include tax and a sale %. Best things to get in a bargin are usually the camcorders. Some tv's etc seems to get bid on quite a lot and can often be sold for more than a normal retail price because people get carried away with themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'd agree that the "Massive stock clearance" style ones are a complete con, but even legit auctions can be bad too. I went to the Dovebid auction held in Tellabs in Shannon a few months back and people were bidding up to and over €1000 for P3 600MHz PCs! I couldn't believe it, though it wasn't con, it was just filled with crazy people thinking they were getting a bargin because it was an auction.
    If you're going to an auction to get a bargain you'd have to be very carefull you don't get ripped off, it's easy to get cought up in the bidding and end up paying over the odds, especially when you add the auctioneers fee and VAT on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

well i presume everyone is talking about the sale in the radisson, well i went to it on sunday and 4 years ago, this time i got a bike retail value €499 for €110, with VAT and sales commission 15% it came to €153 well worth it, plus my mother got a camcorder €1600 in dixons for €450, €626 with VAT and sales commission, sounds hardly a con to me.

Advertisement