Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections

Options
  • 04-06-2004 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

I hear the pollsters for the local elections get paid a fortune. I know they work a long day - from 6.30am to 9.30pm or so... but does anyone know -just- how much they get paid? And is it justified?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by chump
    And is it justified?

let's get everyone to work for free :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

YES, let's MOSSY... let us all work for free... I see

200-300 euro for a days work... government money...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah its about 300 euros a day, one of my mates does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

My brother's friend signed me up for it behind my back.........
    AND I RANG THEM UP AND TURNED THEM DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaah I didn't know they were paid so well!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

It's 350 for a days work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by chump
    ... government money...

Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Cripes! How do you sign up for something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Ah. they get paid that much!!

Damn having a father that's a candidate. Not a hope of me being allowed do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Originally posted by pigeonbutler
    Ah. they get paid that much!!

Damn having a father that's a candidate. Not a hope of me being allowed do it.

Ah don't worry about it. If he gets elected you can start getting the benefits of his position then! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What does the work involve for €350?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,268 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    What does the work involve for €350?
    Collect ballot boxes, register, ballot papers, etc. from council storage the day before, keep boxes at home.

Take boxes, etc. to polling station at 0630. Set up polling station, seal boxes in front of witnesses.

Tick off the register as people arrive, stamp ballot papers and give people their ballot papers.

Sit at desk for 14 hours - only toilet breaks are permitted. Eat at the desk.

Have small talk with the attending Garda.

Explain to old biddies they are at the wrong polling station.

Close up polling station and wait for Garda to collect registers, blank ballots and ballot boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Where do you sign up for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Or else just turn up at 6.30, help set up, sit at desk, crossing off names, stamping ballot papers, and then tidying up from 9 till about 9.30... that's what I'm doing! ...

i very much doubt its 350yoyo for this, i'd say more like a miserable 200...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

€350 sounds about right. If you expect someone to protect the integrity of national, local and european elections you may as well pay them reasonably well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by monument
    Is it?
    Nope....it's our money :)
    It's not exactly something to get your knickers in a tizzy about. If they were doing it five days a week for that kind of money, then that would be ridiculous, but think of it as a short-term contract job.

Most places I've seen, they're older biddies doing it, so why not let them have a few extra quid to go play some bingo?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by seamus

Most places I've seen, they're older biddies doing it, so why not let them have a few extra quid to go play some bingo?

Bingo, you don't know that! They could be blowing it on hookers and gigilos trying to satisfy their wrinkly pleasures!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

pay them more, enough for facelifts, make them less offensive to the eye, prehaps more people will vote!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Originally posted by alleepally
    Ah don't worry about it. If he gets elected you can start getting the benefits of his position then! :p

What benefits, My da has been a counciler for nearly 30 years and i don't see benefits.
    Tell your da I said good luck pigeonbutler, its a busy time for the family local elections is.

Advertisement