Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stratify in vermiculite..........what now?

Options
  • 02-06-2004 9:12pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I bought some giant sequoia seeds on the internet (partly for me, partly for the young lad). They arrived today with a nice leaflet that says:

"stratify in vermiculite for 28 days at 35F before sowing"

I laughed, then went to dictionary.com

So, I have it figured out that I need to store (stratify?) them in vermiculite (soil substitute?) in the fridge for 28 days.

What I'd like to know is, should I keep them moist? Or will they rot if they're not stored in a relatively dry environment?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eh, what is the purpose of the fridge? To make them think it's winter? If so, no water. But they would need water when you take them out.

You do realise how big they grow http://library.thinkquest.org/J002415/Famous_Trees/famous_trees.html ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Originally posted by Victor
    Eh, what is the purpose of the fridge? To make them think it's winter? If so, no water. But they would need water when you take them out.

From what I can gather, it's to make the seeds think that it's winter allright. Then when I take them out and plant them, presto, it's spring (as far as the seeds know).

Thanks for your answer!

Yeah :)

My son was fascinated to think that we were going to grow the worlds tallest tree. It was a real "Jack and the Beanstalk" thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Himalayan poppies are the same with the fridge.....very hit & miss.

As for growing beanstalks that giants can climb down...as an Englishman, I'm outta here :D

Advertisement