Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying/Renting in Ireland

Options
  • 02-06-2004 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Anyone ever use the property portals in ireland. you know, www.myhome.ie and www.realestate.ie and www.realestatealliance.ie and www.nicemove.ie and www.daft.ie ........ i heard myhome is worth 20 million! ..... anyway, the point is, im buying a house soon i hope and ive been looking around these sites and found some good features on each of them. Anyone got any other sites or suggestions on home to use these sites better ..... what about mortgage sites too? any help would be greatly appreicated.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I started out getting some info from myhome.ie, but then was advised to contact the Irish Mortgage Corporation http://www.irishmortgage.ie/ who I must say have been brilliant. That's about the extent oy my knowledge, but they pretty much do everything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Myhome.ie's prices are nearly always understated by 10% to attract visitors deeper into the site and the services it offers. Be warned. This is not an illegal practice however as they are not forming a contract with you merely by publishing guideline prices, but bear it in mind. Everything is geared to look attractive on their site.

Who could blame 'em? Property speculation has now become our national pastime. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

myhome.ie is comprehensive, but there's a lot of places on their list that's since been sold. I found I had to look at the individual Estate Agent's webpages also to keep up. myhome.ie doesn't have a very long memory either when it comes to logging in, it can get a bit repetitive.

I agree that www.irishmortgage.ie are good, they're looking after me at the moment, and they're very helpful.

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 OrionSystem

I've been calling the estate agents that post on the www.realestate.ie , the properties that appear on their own sites are using the same database as the actual IAVI site. this also goes for the Real Estate Alliance guys. This means that the guideline prices on their sites are actually much closer to the REAL price of the house than myhome, which is good for me, since i wasted 2 days of my life looking at apartments that were listed on myhome in the €127,001 – €190,500 bracket. That means as a first time buyer i wouldnt have to pay stamp duty. Then i find that the actual cost is around €210,000, meaning the cost is €20,000 more, and then the stamp duty pushes it up to €26,300. €26,300 thats enough to funrish it including the 32" plasma screen i've been dreaming of. Seriuosly, i think looking at myhome has actually cost me money. This practice should be illegal. I think i'll call the IAVI and ask them what the law is..... kinda annoying i think you'll agree. i fell like just blowing the €20,000 i've saved on a holiday for a few years to thailand or something .... :)

Advertisement